Wolf 223 55gr HP ammo Deal!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wolf 223 55gr HP ammo Deal!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,631
Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Default Wolf 223 55gr HP ammo Deal!

I just ordered 2000 rds of Wolf 223 55gr HP ammo from Sportsmans Guide for $260.27 per 1000 rds. I haven't seen low prices like that in a long time.
Bad news-It isn't in stock,but they are expecting it June 1,2009. Hell,for that price,I don't mind waiting.

I don't really care for Wolf ammo,but at the prices that everything else is selling for,I'll just have to clean my guns a little more often I guess shooting this stuff.

Get it while you can guys!
__________________
Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I just ordered 2000 rds of Wolf 223 55gr HP ammo from Sportsmans Guide for $260.27 per 1000 rds. I haven't seen low prices like that in a long time.
Bad news-It isn't in stock,but they are expecting it June 1,2009. Hell,for that price,I don't mind waiting.

I don't really care for Wolf ammo,but at the prices that everything else is selling for,I'll just have to clean my guns a little more often I guess shooting this stuff.

Get it while you can guys!
Tx...

Keep searching the net. I've found Federal XM193 55gr FMJ/1000rds for $450 on various sites. Not the best around, but a little better than Wolf.

But that isn't a bad price on the Wolf though. Locally here in Oregon, that's about the going price for Wolf, WHEN you can find it. So the wait might be worth it, too.

Slo
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Just paid $200 for 1k at a local shop.

-DM-
Dick Manley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Just keep your weapon clean and you shouldn't have any problem with it. It's not moly coated anymore like everybody thinks it is.
__________________
Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomfield,Ky
Posts: 3,737
Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Wolf steel cased ammo is not moly coated-it's lacquer coated to prevent the case from rusting. When you "get happy" or fire a bunch of rounds rapid fire, this lacquer coating will melt and later return to solid form, causing a buildup in the chamber. The best case scenerio is the rounds will have a hard time chambering due to the reduced dimensions of the chamber. The worst case would be partial chambering/lockup and stuck round or firing.
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Wolf steel cased ammo is not moly coated-it's lacquer coated to prevent the case from rusting. When you "get happy" or fire a bunch of rounds rapid fire, this lacquer coating will melt and later return to solid form, causing a buildup in the chamber. The best case scenerio is the rounds will have a hard time chambering due to the reduced dimensions of the chamber. The worst case would be partial chambering/lockup and stuck round or firing.
I think you have that reversed Bear...the new stuff is all poly coated. the old traditional wolf was lacquer coated. I've seen some sites still having both in stock. from what I understand the poly coated shells have more of a grey color to them, whereas the lacquer coated shells have more of an olive color.

at least that's what the man said

slo
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I think you have that reversed Bear...the new stuff is all poly coated. the old traditional wolf was lacquer coated. I've seen some sites still having both in stock. from what I understand the poly coated shells have more of a grey color to them, whereas the lacquer coated shells have more of an olive color.

at least that's what the man said

slo
That's also what the box says. I know 2 guys who shoot nothing but Wolf through their ARs and have had zero issues with them. I even looked on Wolf's website and none of their ammo is lacquer coated anymore.
__________________
Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomfield,Ky
Posts: 3,737
Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

I stand corrected! I was just going by what I had seen on the shelves of neighboring gunshops. I hadn't seen any moly coated ammo yet. I guess it just shows how long it's been since I looked at Wolf ammo. I still have some Brown Bear ammo that's lacquer coated and was basing it on that.
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,631
Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Default

Slowryde,I try not to buy FMJ ammo for any caliber,around here there are no public ranges that allow it to be fired on their ranges(fear of ricochet's),and I handload all of my varmit hunting ammo for 223.
Besides that,I will start shooting a Bow & Arrow before I would pay $450 for 1K rds of 223 ammo. THB
__________________
Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Slowryde,I try not to buy FMJ ammo for any caliber,around here there are no public ranges that allow it to be fired on their ranges(fear of ricochet's),and I handload all of my varmit hunting ammo for 223.
Besides that,I will start shooting a Bow & Arrow before I would pay $450 for 1K rds of 223 ammo. THB
I hear you, Tx. up here in the NW, I normally head for one of the gravel pits to do some plinking in. most of those are remote enough to not worry about ricochets (assuming you don't fire at the boulders )

And I definitely hear you on the $450/1K. I still have cases that cost me less than half that. But unless you do load your own, anymore that's what most of us will have to pay...or worse. As much as I normally shoot, that would be an awful lot of arrows to go chasing though

And Bear...don't fret it. like I was saying, there are quite a few shops that still do have some of the old lacquer coated ammo. I still have some myself, but that normally goes into the VEPR, or an SKS. I have shot it through a few of my AR's, with no probs. mostly, I try to stick with the poly coated Wolf now, and have never had any issues with it in any of my AR's. That's not to say that someone out there won't have an issue with it in there's. I haven't to date, and can honestly say that I have not met anyone who has. I do know quite a few who use it religiously for plinking, and at that price, why not? just remember to give your piece a good cleaning and lubing afterwards, and you should be fine.

Good shooting to you.
Slo
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning up after Wolf ammo rhevans AR-15 Discussion 4 06-22-2009 10:00 PM
Wolf .223 Ammo ARnoob Ammunition & Reloading 5 05-06-2008 04:26 PM
wolf ammo scejmer Ammunition & Reloading 5 03-01-2008 08:38 PM
ammo 223 62gr best deal glock 4 life Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 08-24-2007 01:50 PM
Wolf Match Ammo User1953 Ammunition & Reloading 1 07-28-2007 12:14 PM



Newest Threads