Winchester Varmint ammo for HD?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Winchester Varmint ammo for HD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Winchester Varmint ammo for HD?

I hope this is not as stupid of a question but I had bought a box of WINCHESTER VARMINT X 223REM 40GR POLY TIP 20/10 ammo at Wallyworld kinda by spur of the moment ( that was the only 5.56/.223 instock in my store in months) and here in FL I haven't done any hunting with my AR, soo for the PR I paid $17.99 for a box of 20, I didn't want to waste at the range and thought how well would these fare against a HD situation, they show coyote's on the box not a dumb ass breaking into my home and I want to make sure they'll do the job??? Help a new shooter out without breaking my balls!! Lol

B

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I'd think that if using an AR for HD duty, over penetration would be a concern if you have other family members in the house and/or neighbors close by. One of the frangible rounds would be best, and almost as good, if not as good, would be a very explosive bullet out of a varmint round like the one you have. If you are going to use them for HD, you should get another box so you can test some for functioning, and maybe shoot into a couple pieces of drywall or whatever material the walls in your home consist of, to see how these 40 grainers break up. In an ideal defense situation, we are going to hit the intruder center of mass, but with shooting in poor light, target moving around, stress and excitement, things aren't always ideal, and some rounds could miss.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First things first one box isn't gonna cut it. You need to run a couple hundred rounds through your ar first to see if it runs flawlessly. On top of that you need to make sure that ammo will penetrate enough at the distances you plan to use it at. Varmint rounds may be safer inside the house but they may not stop your intended target s well.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, AgentTiki that's what I was wondering if they would not be as effective in a HD situation, I kinda thought that they most likely wouldn't be the best.

B

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2404 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Any round that will stop a bad guy will penetrate through sheetrock, most rounds will not penetrate through the exterior walls. Find a SD round that meets the FBI penetration standards. Those standards are in place to provide penetration is adequate to kill BG without dangerous over penetration. Varmint rounds do not meet FBI standards. They open up too quickly and do not penetrate deep enough.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Seems any round that will go through an intruder will penetrate other things as well. If you live by yourself with no neighbors around then over peneration is not an issue. If you can get frangible rounds or loads that meet FBI standards, great. If it's all you can get, a varmint load that blows a fist size hole in a coyote or woodchuck is going to do major damage to a bad guy, all of the energy and hydrostatic shock will be expended on the target and probably not exit at all, and not cause injury to your family or the family living next door. I would go with a heavier varmint bullet like a 60 gr. Hornady V-Max. They would penetrate deeper and still fragment rapidly. The 40 gr. load that DropZone mentioned is meant for very small varmints, not 160 lb. addicts trying to break in.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that those 40 grain frangibles aren't suitable. But they really are intended for thin skinned varmints. A denim and leather jackets can really change terminal ballistics. In the end, every choice entails tradeoffs. While I certainly would never want to be on the receiving end of one, there are more devastating rounds.

Also what would happen when you do want to shoot through a door or wall? Like if a bad buy were hiding behind something? Penetration isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

for someone breaking into your house, I assume every shot then is under 15 yds? Probably 10 or less?

look a .223/5.56 projectile is travelling 2900-3100 feet per second at that distance. Any kind of bullet is going to destroy what it hits. The energy on this round out of the muzzle is insane

If you are talking about 50 yards plus, well that wouldn't be a HD situation, that would be a pursuit situation.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The problem with an ar for home defence is the muzzle blast. Sure the intruder will be dead. You and your children will never hear again.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2404 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The problem with an ar for home defence is the muzzle blast. Sure the intruder will be dead. You and your children will never hear again.
I've been around small arms fire in enclosed areas including M4s with no hearing protection. I can still hear.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"