Wilson Combat or White Oak Barrel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Wilson Combat or White Oak Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Wilson Combat or White Oak Barrel

Looking for more experience and wisdom for my SPR MOD 1 build. This is my first AR build, and I have decided to build a SPR MOD 1 with a 18" barrel. The specs that I want are 1 in 7 twist, SPR profile, 18", rifle length gas system, and m4 feed ramp. I have narrowed my choices between White Oaks SPR stainless barrel in 223 wylde and Wilson Combat SPR chrome moly barrel in 556 NATO. I have decided on these two barrel choices because of price and reputation.

I plan on ordering the barrel later today or tomorrow morning. Which is the better choice, and why? I'm more concerned about accuracy that the color differences and price. Which will cools faster, have a tighter shot group, and which will have a barrel life.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=250&page=2

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Special-Purpose-Rifle-18-1-7-Twist-Chromoly-Chrome-Lined/productinfo/TR%2D556SPR18/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It depends on how "true to spec" you want it to be. The rifle has specific parts and specs per military. I'm not sure which barrel fits those specs better but the WOA SPR profile barrel I had was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's one of the reasons I chose these 2, they both are in spec. I'm trying to get the best value for the money, but I will not sacrifice quality to save a buck. Both barrels are in my price range, and in spec with the profile and rifling. The MOD 0 has a mid length gas tube and the MOD 1 has a rifle length gas tube, both have 1-7 twist, .75 diameter gas block.

I have heard a lot of good things about WOA barrels, and I like the fact it's a 223 wylde chamber. The SPR spec is for a 556 NATO chamber, but 223 wylde will shoot both. I've talked to a few gunsmiths and a few military snipers, marksman, and firearms instructors, and they explained to me difference between 223 rem, 223 wylde, and 556 NATO chambers.

I originally want a 1-8 twist because I didn't think the 1-7 would shoot 55 grain FMJ good because of the low weight, but my Sig M400 is a 1-7 twist and it shot 55s great. So I want the SPR spec.

Thank you for information, it's appreciated. I'll make my final choice tomorrow morning after I do a little more research and get some more feed back.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #4

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both WOA and Wilson Combat barrels machined from Shilen blanks? Either way you can't go wrong with either one. Very good quality, high standards, and great reputation. The only factor I think you should consider is do you want a stainless steel barrel or a chrome moly.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

just for the barrel itself its close in quality. so close its a toss up. if you order a dozen from each and use a machine rest prolly half the wilsons will beat half the white and vice versa.

my wilson 20" heavy barrel shoots waaaaay better than i do and im not half bad with open sights.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both WOA and Wilson Combat barrels machined from Shilen blanks? Either way you can't go wrong with either one. Very good quality, high standards, and great reputation. The only factor I think you should consider is do you want a stainless steel barrel or a chrome moly.
WOA are Wilson arms blanks, but Shilen make WOA's ultra match barrels, I don't know who make Wilson combat barrels.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So far I've built 3 AR's, (all for my personal use), each one has a Wilson barrel. They all shoot .2"-.3" groups.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370
So far I've built 3 AR's, (all for my personal use), each one has a Wilson barrel. They all shoot .2"-.3" groups.
What barrel lengths and at what distances, and is that Wilson combat or Wilson arms?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
just for the barrel itself its close in quality. so close its a toss up. if you order a dozen from each and use a machine rest prolly half the wilsons will beat half the white and vice versa.

my wilson 20" heavy barrel shoots waaaaay better than i do and im not half bad with open sights.
For my build I think I'll go with the Wilson. I've done my research and the 18" SPR barrel from Wilson Combat, will last a while longer and shoot just as accurate if not more than the white oak. If it shoots like crap I'll just buy the white oak after I sell the Wilson, but I think the Wilson should do well. Thanks for the wisdom.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370
Either way, that's descent shooting.