Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Will uppers still be available

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Question about the last ban. If you had a AR with a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and a flash hider when the ban came into place, did you have to have all that removed?

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,470
Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Question about the last ban. If you had a AR with a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and a flash hider when the ban came into place, did you have to have all that removed?
As far as the former federal AWB, they were grandfathered in. There's no way today to be sure what a new law will permit. Or if there will be a new law next year.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,030
Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Default

The 1994 ban only prevented you from buying certain new parts, like hi-cap mags, bayonet lugs, flash hiders. If you already had that stuff, you could keep it. You could also buy the same guns with out that stuff, or stuff that was manufactured before the cutoff date.

What I don't get is all these posts asking what a future ban will ban. Who the hell knows? It hasn't happened yet. Nothing says it has to be like the last one. I would be tempted to say it might be more severe in nature.

As to the worry about buying AR lowers and not being able to find uppers: buy the lower, it will be worth more next week, & next year, most likely. So you can't find an upper.....sell the lower for a profit. Last week I bought 6 P Mags. I have no AR. Now, 5 days later, they're likely worth more. No one has them on the shelves. I'm not worried.

__________________

Last edited by clr8ter; 12-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.
clr8ter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default

I thought I read Feinstein was gonna introduce an actual total ban, bring em all in and watch em get melted down type ban, that aint gonna happen around these parts.

__________________

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

blucoondawg is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,116
Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I thought I read Feinstein was gonna introduce an actual total ban, bring em all in and watch em get melted down type ban, that ain't gonna happen around these parts.
Should it come to that, I predict an uptick in tragic boating accidents involving firearms in deep water.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Overkill0084 is offline  
Jpyle Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Please read Sputnic1988s post have a tall drink relax and then go shooting. This Gun Shop Gossip is getting insane.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
sputnik1988 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ZeusEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
The 1994 ban only prevented you from buying certain new parts, like hi-cap mags, bayonet lugs, flash hiders. If you already had that stuff, you could keep it. You could also buy the same guns with out that stuff, or stuff that was manufactured before the cutoff date.

What I don't get is all these posts asking what a future ban will ban. Who the hell knows? It hasn't happened yet. Nothing says it has to be like the last one. I would be tempted to say it might be more severe in nature.

As to the worry about buying AR lowers and not being able to find uppers: buy the lower, it will be worth more next week, & next year, most likely. So you can't find an upper.....sell the lower for a profit. Last week I bought 6 P Mags. I have no AR. Now, 5 days later, they're likely worth more. No one has them on the shelves. I'm not worried.
Sorry, but if you are buying PMAGS and don't even own an AR, then YOU are part of the problem.
__________________

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ZeusEcho is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho

Sorry, but if you are buying PMAGS and don't even own an AR, then YOU are part of the problem.
That pisses me off. I have 2 AR's and can't find PMAGs because of *******s like him. I hope the market gets flooded with Mags so all these ****tards buying them up get screwed.
__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,030
Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Default

Did I maybe forget to mention that I'm looking to acquire parts slowly to build one? Been thinking about it for a while. Thought I'd start with the potentially hardest to get/going to be scarce parts 1st. Lower is next. After that a lower parts kit. Am I an a$$hole until I have the whole thing completed?

Maybe if you own an AR already, you should have bought some mags to go with it, huh? If I made that mistake, I'd be pissed, too. As far as I know, it's a free market, and I can buy whatever I want, for any reason. I probably wouldn't even sell them, unless it becomes impossible to complete the gun.

__________________

Last edited by clr8ter; 12-23-2012 at 12:13 AM.
clr8ter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
okdonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 2,642
Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post

That pisses me off. I have 2 AR's and can't find PMAGs because of *******s like him. I hope the market gets flooded with Mags so all these ****tards buying them up get screwed.
No offense. Don't blame him.. this is free market. You should blame yourself for not moving fast! Not to mention supply vs demand in control right now.
__________________
okdonk is offline  
clr8ter Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
$389.95 DPMS Uppers & RRA Uppers Available NOW! JoeBobOutfitters Sponsor Display 0 07-18-2012 04:08 AM
AR uppers dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 0 01-14-2012 02:54 AM
.243 uppers. Zacsquatch AR-15 Discussion 4 01-22-2010 04:29 AM
.50 BMG uppers bkt AR-15 Discussion 7 01-02-2010 01:14 AM
AR uppers??? gloks4life AR-15 Discussion 6 09-02-2009 03:51 PM



Newest Threads