Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2083 Times on 1226 Posts
Likes Given: 4477

I am the type once I have a scope set with a specific rifle, either .22LR, 5.56 or whatever else the caliber is, that scope stays with that rifle.

I have learned my lesson moving a tactical Sightmark from flattop to Mossberg MVP Varmint rifle, is was an issue sighting in the scope. Even after using a bore sight, the scope was very picky and finally sighted in!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
No, you need to READ the posts, 22 LR SEMI-AUTO's ARE ALL BLOW BACKS. (they are NOT gas operated or breach locked)

Jim
Got it now. It was late and my brain officially turns off after 3pm.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #13

Liked 95 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
A very many amount of scopes are specifically engineered and marketed for rimfire.
Yes, they're marketed for a specific Caliber, like 22, 17, AR, (BUT) they're marketed as such, because of the BDC. This is mostly because of how the "Dots/Hash Marks" are spaced on the Reticle, or a possible change of the Elevation Turret to correspond for that Caliber. Depending on Scope Maker. The Tubes, innards and Len's, Coatings, will be built/applied the same. However, on some Scopes a simple call to Company gets a Caliber/Bullet Chart to adjust for BDC.

Example. A Leupold Rifleman won't work on a 22LR very well, because of the Parallax setting of 150yds. It will work on 17HMR, 22Mag, or any Centerfire Caliber very well, be it Semi or Bolt Action, due to the Shooter knowing they will use these Calibers for the longer distance.
Many Magnums taking exception, just because of their brutal recoils on the Action, and/or Shooter.

I wouldn't use a Rifleman, even if it says it's safe, on a Springer Pellet Rifle, due to it's abusive nature of how the Spring recoils twice with each shot.
Many Scope Makers nowadays have upgraded their quality, for using their Quality Scopes on Springer's for this reason compared to complaints from years past.
However, many a Hunter/Marksman has/can use a Pellet Rifle Scope on their Rimfire or Centerfire Rifles and have excellent results over many years, because of the Scope's ruggedness.

I own some Burris FullfieldII 3-9x40 Scopes. I got them as the combo-packs. One Scope is for Centerfire, the other Scope is marked "Rimfire". Both scopes look exactly same, with same BDC hashmarks. Only difference(s) is Rimfire marked Scope is Parallaxed at 50yds, hashmarks re-calibrated, and made in China. Would I use this Scope on a Marlin 44Magnum. Yelp. Had it sighted in at 50yds for a Brush Gun. Held up just fine under that little Thumper, until I sold Rifle, then I put Scope on a Ruger 10/22 I've owned since new from 1971.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #14

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Not sure I've heard of a Nikon scope just for a 22 rifle. Is it a pellet fun scope? I would look on line for that same scope and see what it says.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
Not sure I've heard of a Nikon scope just for a 22 rifle. Is it a pellet fun scope? I would look on line for that same scope and see what it says.
Go to their website, you can see them there.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #16

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If a scope is made specifically for a rimfire cartridge that is not saying it will fall to pieces if you mount it on a centerfire. What it means is the scope is made to be shot at 50 yards so Paralax is set to 50 yards. If it has a bullet drop reticle it will be made for 22lr cartridge. It will not be more or less accurate persay. But, the crosshairs will move on the target as you move your eye behind the scope.

A quality Nikon, Leupold or other quality scope manufacture scope will be just fine.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your 22 LR scope will be just fine on your AR if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't be concerned about any recoil damage at all.
Rest assured Nikon also has a great warranty as well. Mount it up and shoot it! Post some pics when you can. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have,right?

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 759

If the rim fire scopes are built the same as the center fire scopes, why the price difference?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the prices are pretty consistant across the PROSTAFF line be it a Rimfire scope or Centerfire rifle scope. The Rimfire scopes have a different parallax setting and some of the 2-7's come with 2 Rapid Action Turret's depending on what you are shooting, standard or hyper-velocity 22lr ammo.
I know there's a big PROSTAFF scope promotion going on right now. Unfortunately it doesn't include the Rimfire scopes but it does include all the others. I'm not in sales, I work freelance for an agency that does some work for Nikon, so when I see a chance to try and answer a question I do my best. If the promo will save you some $ then I am happy I was able to make you aware of it.
Let me know if you need more info......

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks bman, I may take advantage of the promo and go get me a new scope