Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?

I just wanna know if I can get away with this until I can finance for a nice ar15 scope. I know the .22lr has basically no recoil, but the AR-15 doesn't have much either so do you think it would break the scope or not?

Thanks so much

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

there is quite a bit more sharp recoil with the bcg moving back and forth.

i ould be concerned over it. while it doesnt feel much to you the rifle is getting jarred pretty good

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you accept the fact that you'll be throwing the scope away, go for it. Most likely the 223 will destroy a 22 LR scope. Not right away but certainly I wouldn't trust my life to it, or go hunting with it, or even go to a training class with a 22lr scope on a 223. About the only thing I would do with a 22 lr scope on an AR15 is a plinker trip to the range, and I'd bring a back up firearm or scope just in case so my day isn't ruined. Day 1? Day 2? Day 15? It'll eventually break.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would have to say NO. Scopes from a reputiable Company will be built with same precision and parts used. Scope Companies honestly won't know if Scope will be mounted on a 300 Savage or an old Stevens 22Short. What will happen is the Scope won't give you the precision you want, due to it being parallaxed at 50yds, and trying to shoot at 150yds. Also if has BDC Reticle, it won't match.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

+1 ^^

The reticle for a .22 scope isn't set up for a .223 bullet. You're accuracy will be way off.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Internet gossip, not true. For the same reason you do not use a rifle scope on a air rifle, they slam the piston when fired and will jar the scope.

22 LR semi-autos are blow back rifles, they slam the bolt back sharper than a recoil on a center fire rifle, unless your shooting 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. So your 22 LR scopes are made as tough as the center fire scopes if not tougher. If you have questions about the scope call customer service at Nikon and ask, that way you will know for sure.

Jim

Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
I would have to say NO. Scopes from a reputiable Company will be built with same precision and parts used. Scope Companies honestly won't know if Scope will be mounted on a 300 Savage or an old Stevens 22Short. What will happen is the Scope won't give you the precision you want, due to it being parallaxed at 50yds, and trying to shoot at 150yds. Also if has BDC Reticle, it won't match.
A very many amount of scopes are specifically engineered and marketed for rimfire.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com

Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Internet gossip, not true. For the same reason you do not use a rifle scope on a air rifle, they slam the piston when fired and will jar the scope.

22 LR semi-autos are blow back rifles, they slam the bolt back sharper than a recoil on a center fire rifle, unless your shooting 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. So your 22 LR scopes are made as tough as the center fire scopes if not tougher. If you have questions about the scope call customer service at Nikon and ask, that way you will know for sure.

Jim
A 22 LR bolt action is blow back?

-Thomas

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Scopes are manufactured more now than ever before for specific calibers and families of firearms (rifle/shotgun/pistol). Part of that is parallax, part is BDC, and part of that is recoil. The scope company can also save money by using only the quality of parts necessary to meet the standard requirement. Therefore, not only will the scope probably not preform in a satisfactory manner at any distance, but the recoil will most likely shake loose the screws in the scope and cause it to fall apart. Not immediately, but over time it will come apart.

If you like your rimfire scope, keep it for your rimfires and use iron sights on your AR until the stronger scope arrives.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
A 22 LR bolt action is blow back?
No, you need to READ the posts, 22 LR SEMI-AUTO's ARE ALL BLOW BACKS. (they are NOT gas operated or breach locked)

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 08-01-2013 at 02:50 AM.