Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/will-ar-15-ruin-my-nikon-scope-deisgned-22lr-94727/)

180baseball 07-31-2013 03:09 AM

Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?

I just wanna know if I can get away with this until I can finance for a nice ar15 scope. I know the .22lr has basically no recoil, but the AR-15 doesn't have much either so do you think it would break the scope or not?

Thanks so much

JonM 07-31-2013 03:13 AM

there is quite a bit more sharp recoil with the bcg moving back and forth.

i ould be concerned over it. while it doesnt feel much to you the rifle is getting jarred pretty good

CGS 07-31-2013 02:56 PM

If you accept the fact that you'll be throwing the scope away, go for it. Most likely the 223 will destroy a 22 LR scope. Not right away but certainly I wouldn't trust my life to it, or go hunting with it, or even go to a training class with a 22lr scope on a 223. About the only thing I would do with a 22 lr scope on an AR15 is a plinker trip to the range, and I'd bring a back up firearm or scope just in case so my day isn't ruined. Day 1? Day 2? Day 15? It'll eventually break.

Triumphman 08-01-2013 01:20 AM

I would have to say NO. Scopes from a reputiable Company will be built with same precision and parts used. Scope Companies honestly won't know if Scope will be mounted on a 300 Savage or an old Stevens 22Short. What will happen is the Scope won't give you the precision you want, due to it being parallaxed at 50yds, and trying to shoot at 150yds. Also if has BDC Reticle, it won't match.

drvsafe 08-01-2013 01:40 AM

+1 ^^

The reticle for a .22 scope isn't set up for a .223 bullet. You're accuracy will be way off.

bigjim 08-01-2013 02:22 AM

Internet gossip, not true. For the same reason you do not use a rifle scope on a air rifle, they slam the piston when fired and will jar the scope.

22 LR semi-autos are blow back rifles, they slam the bolt back sharper than a recoil on a center fire rifle, unless your shooting 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. So your 22 LR scopes are made as tough as the center fire scopes if not tougher. If you have questions about the scope call customer service at Nikon and ask, that way you will know for sure.

Jim

CGS 08-01-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumphman (Post 1321892)
I would have to say NO. Scopes from a reputiable Company will be built with same precision and parts used. Scope Companies honestly won't know if Scope will be mounted on a 300 Savage or an old Stevens 22Short. What will happen is the Scope won't give you the precision you want, due to it being parallaxed at 50yds, and trying to shoot at 150yds. Also if has BDC Reticle, it won't match.

A very many amount of scopes are specifically engineered and marketed for rimfire.

CGS 08-01-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim (Post 1321967)
Internet gossip, not true. For the same reason you do not use a rifle scope on a air rifle, they slam the piston when fired and will jar the scope.

22 LR semi-autos are blow back rifles, they slam the bolt back sharper than a recoil on a center fire rifle, unless your shooting 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. So your 22 LR scopes are made as tough as the center fire scopes if not tougher. If you have questions about the scope call customer service at Nikon and ask, that way you will know for sure.

Jim

A 22 LR bolt action is blow back?

TekGreg 08-01-2013 02:34 AM

Scopes are manufactured more now than ever before for specific calibers and families of firearms (rifle/shotgun/pistol). Part of that is parallax, part is BDC, and part of that is recoil. The scope company can also save money by using only the quality of parts necessary to meet the standard requirement. Therefore, not only will the scope probably not preform in a satisfactory manner at any distance, but the recoil will most likely shake loose the screws in the scope and cause it to fall apart. Not immediately, but over time it will come apart.

If you like your rimfire scope, keep it for your rimfires and use iron sights on your AR until the stronger scope arrives. :)

bigjim 08-01-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

A 22 LR bolt action is blow back?
No, you need to READ the posts, 22 LR SEMI-AUTO's ARE ALL BLOW BACKS. (they are NOT gas operated or breach locked)

Jim