You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

widham ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just bought a Windham SRC for $650 at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #62

Liked 388 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwatt View Post
Just bought a Windham SRC for $650 at Sportsmans Warehouse.
At $650 it's a square deal. Your rifle is probably worth that much, maybe $100 more.

I might argue that I could build a more ideal rifle (to my tastes) for similar money. But at that price point, it's really splitting hairs. And you really can't lose, especially if you prefer to buy your rifle complete.

Solid deal.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I'm fairly sure, just like Bushamster, those $600 Windhams have carbon fiber receivers so I'd kick in another hundred to get a PSA with milspec 7075 T6 receivers plus the option to buy midlength gas.

No way I'd be interested in one when a little more money gets you so much more.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #64

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Only carbon fiber part is the lower. The Receiver is 7075 aluminum. And the lower being carbon fiber was to shave off a half a pound. It also dissipates heat better.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22400 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Only carbon fiber part is the lower. The Receiver is 7075 aluminum. And the lower being carbon fiber was to shave off a half a pound. It also dissipates heat better.

there is no heat build-up in the lower to speak of. i have run my AR hard and fast, just for the fun of it with the barrel hot enough to burn a person and the lower never got hot at all.

personally, i'll take the added weight of the aluminum lower over carbon fiber or polymer anyday.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Only carbon fiber part is the lower. The Receiver is 7075 aluminum. And the lower being carbon fiber was to shave off a half a pound. It also dissipates heat better...
Sorry that's not truthful, weight wise or about heat dissipation. As Axxe55 pointed out a polymer instead of alloy lower isn't going to help dissipate heat which of course is generated in the upper.

And a polymer lower shaves off half a pound? No way! Get out your scale. My Daniel Defense upper/S&W M&P-15 lower weighs 6lb and 3 oz. That's with Magpul furniture and MBUS2 rear sight. No way your WW weighs 8 oz less, in fact it might weigh more!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And by the way, that weight of 6 lb 3 oz includes a CTR stock which weighs 3 oz more than a standard M4 stock which yours probably has. If so then figure an even 6 pounds for mine with the M4 stock. Oh and an H buffer that weighs about an ounce more than the WW underspec buffer (for 16" with carbine length gas).
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #68

Liked 250 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 360

OK Q, reread this thread and have a question. By the time I made it back to cabelas the Windham was no longer on sale and then I fell in love with lever action rifles so I haven't bought another AR. I just looked at the PSA website and they have what they're calling a freedom carbine (I think) for $550. What are your thoughts on that rifle. It has a stainless barrel, and I'm not too thrilled about that, but the price is perfect for right now with me. We have a bad hog problem and was thinking a 5.56 with heavier bonded bullets would be a good choice for my fiance to get started in hunting. Would accuracy be reasonable out of this platform? Say close to 1.5 inches with good ammo at 100yards? Never had an AR with a stainless barrel...

Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Casey, I think PSA uses their PTAC series of parts in the Freedom models. I have no firsthand experience with that line or PSA stainless barrels. I suspect it would be fine for your application but hopefully someone else who actually has tried it will chime in soon.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #70
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7380 Times on 3940 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Polymer/plastic is a poor heat conductor which makes it a better insulator than aluminum.

You can test it yourself. Take a polymer object and an aluminum object. Stick both in a freezer for 24 hours. Grip the two items and the aluminum will feel colder which means its conducting heat from your hand faster.

I prefer polymer grips to bare metal because of its poor ability to transfer heat. Makes grabbing a cold gun in the winter and a hot gun in summer much more pleasent than burning or freezing your hand on bare metal.

Middle of winter middle of summer i carry my xdm because of its polymer grip.

If you were to make an ar15 upper in polymer where the heat is it would over heat muuuuch faster than an aluminum upper
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent