widham ARs - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > widham ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

There are two ways to do this, 1st is to replace the gas port with a low profile one or the second is to use one of these. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-157

Jim

Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #52

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is a smith required for changing gas? Might just be easier to buy the one from the link. Wish I knew how it would look. I would really like the rail to come close to the end of the barrel. Love that look. Like maybe a 15 incher

Thanks for getting back to me!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #53

Yhm low profile gas block and 15" free float Midwestern quad rail on WW. Really happy with how it turned out. I like the longer quad rails as well! so many options

image-3484173557.jpg

image-360789167.jpg   image-1804645100.jpg  

Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #54

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
And that's just it, K, when you build and start choosing parts you want the best for the money. I think that should carry over to a factory gun too. And again the commercial RE is just a simple test that anyone can use to get a glimmer of how an AR stacks up.

An interesting example of this is Stag, for $100 they will "milspec" their AR with what they call the Plus Package. Nice they have this upgrade (since most others don't offer it) but PSA gives it to you for free.
PSA is not giving it to you for free, period. Now I'm a big PSA fan, they have quality products, but you cannot buy a complete PSA rifle with a factory warranty on all the pieces that make up the PSA for the same price as an over-the-counter AR. I know what you mean by, "they are giving it to you for free," but that is not entirely truthful. Windham assembled the pieces (a person doesn't have to buy specialty tools to put it together), and they offer customer service and warranty (I don't know how great either is at WW, but still it's something).

Now with all that said a person should consider buying from PSA to get the best bang for their buck.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #55

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
PSA is not giving it to you for free, period. Now I'm a big PSA fan, they have quality products, but you cannot buy a complete PSA rifle with a factory warranty on all the pieces that make up the PSA for the same price as an over-the-counter AR. I know what you mean by, "they are giving it to you for free," but that is not entirely truthful. Windham assembled the pieces (a person doesn't have to buy specialty tools to put it together), and they offer customer service and warranty (I don't know how great either is at WW, but still it's something).

Now with all that said a person should consider buying from PSA to get the best bang for their buck.
Actually PSA has had many super deals over the last few months on their complete rifles. You just have to pounce when they turn up because everyone else is clicking the "buy it now" button!

I was pointing out that a comspec AR has corners cut compared to better ARs. Stag actually puts a dollar figure on it, $100 last time I checked. At the same price PSA gives you more than Windham.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-12-2013 at 11:46 PM.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
At the same price PSA gives you more than Windham.
It isn't even close.

In many cases you can get an $800 AR for about $800 from your LGS, Walmart, etc. Or you can get about a $400 increase in quality with an $800-900 PSA.

BTW- Bud's also has 16" midlength BCMs (BCM BCG/grip/CH, MOE handguard) for $1088. That strikes me as a pretty sound deal for the AR newbie. Add a Magpul rear MBUS for $50, and you're in business.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #57

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Nice price for a BCM! And it's in stock at this moment.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1741 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
as mentioned, the Windam Weapons is comprised of the same people who use to be Bushmaster, before Bushmaster as sold to the Freedom Group.

i have one of the older Bushmasters from the original owners. it's an M4A2 16" barreled carbine. i bought it lightly used and have had no problems with it. great rifle.

if the Windam is as good as the older Bushmasters, i think for the price, you will be happy with it.
For all practical purposes, read: Bushmaster. Windham was formed about 3 years ago by the ex-owner and founder of Bushmaster. It is staying AFAIR in the former Bushmaster production facilities in Windam. ME. There is a good reason to expect at least the same quality. At the LGS it felt par with the S&W I eventually chose for its configuration onlky.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #59

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first AR was a Windham SRC. I have since added a KAC and a BCM but I find that I still shoot my Windham quite a bit. Is it the same quality as the KAC? No, but it cost less than half as much. In my opinion, they absolutely can't be beat for the price. I have about 1,500 rounds through mine with only one failure to feed. I would take a Windham over a Bushmaster, RRA, Del-Ton, ete. any day.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #60

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Tonight I just purchased a windham varmint 20in upper. I hope it has good accuracy. It seemed to be the best I could get with the amount of money I had.