widham ARs - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

widham ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

I wouldn't say I am "new" to the ar world at all. I've owned several over years from bushmaster (post ban...yuck), double star and Olympic. I was most partial to the double star, but their price has jumped since last year at this time. I was asking about the Windham because I've never shot one. My biggest concern with an ar is accuracy as most I've shot are plenty reliable. I have shot colts and really wasn't that impressed (don't hate please)...I was asking about the Windham simply because the price is right and wanted to know about the accuracy.

And I will mainly use it for plinking and coyotes...but I live in ky, so shots would be limited to 200 yards. I was thinking something in the 2-7x32 or something similar would be nice to have on one. I live in Kentucky and it is legal to hunt deer with, and I love the 223 with fusion bullets for deer and I would say it would Prolly see time in deer stand as well...don't hate on that either please.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #22

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

I love the looks of a rifle scope with no front bell, even though they don't gather much light..

Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #23

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
I wouldn't say I am "new" to the ar world at all. I've owned several over years from bushmaster (post ban...yuck), double star and Olympic. I was most partial to the double star, but their price has jumped since last year at this time. I was asking about the Windham because I've never shot one. My biggest concern with an ar is accuracy as most I've shot are plenty reliable. I have shot colts and really wasn't that impressed (don't hate please)...I was asking about the Windham simply because the price is right and wanted to know about the accuracy.

And I will mainly use it for plinking and coyotes...but I live in ky, so shots would be limited to 200 yards. I was thinking something in the 2-7x32 or something similar would be nice to have on one. I live in Kentucky and it is legal to hunt deer with, and I love the 223 with fusion bullets for deer and I would say it would Prolly see time in deer stand as well...don't hate on that either please.
On the two that I've shot accuracy and reliability were fantastic.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #24

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Mine before the boating accident:
widham ARs - AR-15 Discussion
You had your AR out on a boat and something happened?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
You had your AR out on a boat and something happened?
Please don't remind me. We was 'fishing' for salmon when the bore tide came in and swamped the boat. We all would have gone down with the ship if we hadn't of lightened the load

Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I love the looks of a rifle scope with no front bell, even though they don't gather much light..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Please don't remind me...
At one time I also had this Leupold VX-3 scope that came without a bell and their lens coating still allows quite a bit of light to come through.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm-illuminated-reticle-includes-metric/

Apparently their cost has gone up somewhat since I bought mine though!

As far as buffer tube diameter goes, I will say that when I went to the gun shop to find a black Magpul CTR mil. spec. stock, they didn't have one but did have plenty of black commercial sized ones.

When I enquired as to why that was, I was told that they rarely sell them in mil. spec. size.

Of course they could have just been pulling my leg, but...

I do not consider tube diameter to be much of a factor in determining a rifle's quality either as they both perform equally well IMO.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your AR Anna_Purna.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
... As far as buffer tube diameter goes, I will say that when I went to the gun shop to find a black Magpul CTR mil. spec. stock, they didn't have one but did have plenty of black commercial sized ones.

When I enquired as to why that was, I was told that they rarely sell them in mil. spec. size.

Of course they could have just been pulling my leg, but...

I do not consider tube diameter to be much of a factor in determining a rifle's quality either as they both perform equally well IMO.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your AR Anna_Purna.
Obviously your LGS stocks what fits their rack guns. And even though your LGS represents a small piece of the pie ... as far as sales go, well Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber sell more downloads than many truly talented performers. But do their greater sales equate to greater talent?

As said numerous times the commercial diameter RE is an easy to see indicator that other corners have been cut. That matters to anyone who wants the best AR for the money. If it doesn't matter to you, honestly it's time to ask yourself why not.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #28

Things are not that black and white Q. Just because a rifle has a com tube it doesn't mean that corners were cut. I've built and bought guns with both tubes, there is no benefit to either.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

The commercial receiver extension is just the start. An obvious clue. Look closer and you'll find more short cuts to keep cost down. Why buy such an AR when you can do much better for the money?

There is no way I'd put a comspec RE on my own build, nor would I buy a complete AR with one.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 09-29-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
The commercial receiver extension is just the start. An obvious clue. Look closer and you'll find more short cuts to keep cost down. Why buy such an AR when you can do much better for the money?
Tell ya what man. Go to your LGS and take a list of the shortcuts WW makes. Bring me back a list of LEGITIMATE complaints, and I'll never question you on AR's again.

Newest Threads