Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > widham ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
I agree, a shooting buddy has one and their quality seems great.

With the original experienced gunsmiths and tooling, I like to think of them as having the original Bushmaster quality, which had a great reputation for a reason.

At that price what are you waiting for?

Well, I reckon I am waiting for Monday afternoon to deposit a few work check and to get my butt to cabelas. :-). Thanks for all the input guys and gals, appreciate it greatly. :-). Now to decide on an optic...:-/

Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Well, I reckon I am waiting for Monday afternoon to deposit a few work check and to get my butt to cabelas. :-). Thanks for all the input guys and gals, appreciate it greatly. :-). Now to decide on an optic...:-/
Easy, check out the thread about the Vortex Strykfire. Awesome optic and resonabely priced.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

What ya plan on using said optic for?

Close quarters combat? Long distance varmint hunting? Plinking?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-2181974267.jpg

Love Mine!! Couldn't be happier! That is the vortex Sparc red dot

Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19795 Times on 11238 Posts
Likes Given: 49889

as mentioned, the Windam Weapons is comprised of the same people who use to be Bushmaster, before Bushmaster as sold to the Freedom Group.

i have one of the older Bushmasters from the original owners. it's an M4A2 16" barreled carbine. i bought it lightly used and have had no problems with it. great rifle.

if the Windam is as good as the older Bushmasters, i think for the price, you will be happy with it.

People Like This 
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #16
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Mine before the boating accident:
Yep, depends on the intended use.

I purchased mine in an attempt to keep my groups close together just for the fun of it.

Found this (used/trade-in) Leupold VX-3 1.75-6X32 at a local gun shop for a fraction of MSRP and it's NICE!

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-75-6x32mm/

"...boating accident:"

Last edited by BRL; 09-28-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #17

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I have to disagree with you Q. Windham AR's are a very good rifle, especially at $700. They build a very good quality gun, and to compare them to DPMS is laughable.

Truth be told their quaility cintrol is on par with S&W, Colt, and PSA. As a matter of fact it is a 12 step process. In the time that Ive been selling them, Ive NEVER had a problem.
Windham probably is better than DPMS but they still fall well short of PSA, Colt and even S&W. I have a simple test that more people should use when buying an AR. Pass on any brand that uses a commercial spec receiver extension... It's a deal breaker. The reason? Well if they don't bother to get such a simple thing right, then what else are their bean counters screwing with! And if you start looking you will find more corners cut.

PSA is the worst nightmare of the comspec ARs because for the same money they get it right. When you have PSA (and Spikes) why support a company that charges the same for lesser parts?

I'm sorry if I get people mad but someone's got to warn new people to compare brands carefully. The devil's in the details and that's a whole lot better story than Windmaster's.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

p35bhp55 Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
as mentioned, the Windam Weapons is comprised of the same people who use to be Bushmaster, before Bushmaster as sold to the Freedom Group.

i have one of the older Bushmasters from the original owners. it's an M4A2 16" barreled carbine. i bought it lightly used and have had no problems with it. great rifle.

if the Windam is as good as the older Bushmasters, i think for the price, you will be happy with it.
At one time Bushmaster was something to talk about. They put out a decent AR for much less than the Colt of the 1990s. So did Olympic and Eagle Arms/ArmaLite. But by 2008 the price gap between comspec ARs and Colt and other milspec ARs shrank. By 2010 it got even tighter and PSA pretty much closed the gap. This begs the question today, if PSA can do it, if Spikes can do it, if Sionics can do it then why can't Windhamster/Bushamster/DPMS use higher quality parts. Why do they screw over their customers? Don't be mad at me for sharing a story you guys don't like, be mad at them.

Maybe it's time to look at the specs of this $700 AR Cabelas is selling. Compare to PSA.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #19

Liked 598 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Windham probably is better than DPMS but they still fall well short of PSA, Colt and even S&W. I have a simple test that more people should use when buying an AR. Pass on any brand that uses a commercial spec receiver extension... It's a deal breaker. The reason? Well if they don't bother to get such a simple thing right, then what else are their bean counters screwing with! And if you start looking you will find more corners cut.

PSA is the worst nightmare of the comspec ARs because for the same money they get it right. When you have PSA (and Spikes) why support a company that charges the same for lesser parts?

I'm sorry if I get people mad but someone's got to warn new people to compare brands carefully. The devil's in the details and that's a whole lot better story than Windmaster's.
I'm not mad Q, I just don't see a commercial tube as a "lesser" quality part than a MilSpec tube. A 1/9 twist isn't much different than 1/7, unless one is shooting heavy bullets past 300yds.

WW has good barrels, triggers(for factory triggers), BCG, etc. They do it right for a good price.

If I were to buy a rifle off of the shelf is buy a WW probably. It just so happens that I'd rather build, and when I do I use mostly PSA parts.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #20

And that's just it, K, when you build and start choosing parts you want the best for the money. I think that should carry over to a factory gun too. And again the commercial RE is just a simple test that anyone can use to get a glimmer of how an AR stacks up.

An interesting example of this is Stag, for $100 they will "milspec" their AR with what they call the Plus Package. Nice they have this upgrade (since most others don't offer it) but PSA gives it to you for free.

______