widham ARs
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > widham ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Default widham ARs

Cabelas has these on sale for 699 right now. Anyone have any experience with these? I've never shot one, but the price seems right, plus with every purchase you help out the wounded warrior project...could one go wrong with this purchase?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Keep in mind, I would like to hunt coyotes with this rifle, so accuracy needs to be decent enough out to 200 yards. Apparently these are cabelas exclusive firearms...

Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3432 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

I saw those and the variance in visible parts like the cheap stock used. Have not had any experience with this rifle but one thing I do know it is made by the same people who did own and build the Bushmasters in the North East. The Freedom Group bought the brand and moved it to NY State. Then the old Bushmaster group just started another factory.?????
If that tells anyone anything. Not my choice but could be worth it for the money. But you can build a great quality rifle yourself for around $750.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 09-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

I have one, and I love it. I bought the slightly upgraded Cabela's model when they had it on sale before the market turned upside down.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Guaranteed for life, They used to be Bushmaster back in the day when bushmaster was good. Then they went into retirement and Bushmaster then began having some bad reputations The owner of windham didnt want to have his company name he made for many years fall by the wayside, so when Bushmaster was sold to Remington I believe, and moved the production out of Maine, and left all the machines etc, the owner came back out of retirement , bought the old company tooling back for pennies on the dollar, and started the new company Windham Weaponry. I have one and its fit and finish were better than any other brand I compared to in the stores and has been nothing but fun ever since.

For 699.00 they are practically giving them away. before the big scare they were selling for 850 to 950 dollars in the stores.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Mine before the boating accident:
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

The Windmaster story is a nice one but as usual you should buy the gun, not the story.

Windham makes comspec corner cutter ARs on par with Bushmaster and DPMS but for the same money you can buy a better AR like PSA. Anyone who already has a Windham, etc. that's working out well for them, that's great. But if you're looking to buy a new AR today you've got to compare the comspecs with PSA because PSA gives you a lot more for the money. Last year I put together a $700 PSA just to see what you could get for the money. I got a milspec upper with a FN 16" LW midlength gas barrel, BCM M16 BCG, MBUS2 rear sight, PSA LBK, my own stripped lower, a couple PMAGs and a sling. Other than the midlength gas and semiauto trigger this is as milspec as you can get. Since I used a BCM BCG this PSA compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense ARs. A very pleasant surprise.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 09-27-2013 at 10:39 PM.
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #8

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The Windmaster story is a nice one but as usual you should buy the gun, not the story.

Windham makes comspec corner cutter ARs on par with Bushmaster and DPMS but for the same money you can buy a better AR like PSA. Anyone who already has a Windham, etc. that's working out well for them, that's great. But if you're looking to buy a new AR today you've got to compare the comspecs with PSA because PSA gives you a lot more for the money. Last year I put together a $700 PSA just to see what you could get for the money. I got a milspec upper with a FN 16" LW midlength gas barrel, BCM M16 BCG, MBUS2 rear sight, PSA LBK, my own stripped lower, a couple PMAGs and a sling. Other than the midlength gas and semiauto trigger this is as milspec as you can get. Since I used a BCM BCG this PSA compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense ARs. A very pleasant surprise.
I have to disagree with you Q. Windham AR's are a very good rifle, especially at $700. They build a very good quality gun, and to compare them to DPMS is laughable.

Truth be told their quaility cintrol is on par with S&W, Colt, and PSA. As a matter of fact it is(I believe) a 12 step process. In the time that Ive been selling them, Ive NEVER had a problem.

Last edited by kryptar19; 09-29-2013 at 05:35 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Great Price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Guaranteed for life, They used to be Bushmaster back in the day when bushmaster was good...I have one and its fit and finish were better than any other brand I compared to in the stores and has been nothing but fun ever since.
For 699.00 they are practically giving them away...
I agree, a shooting buddy has one and their quality seems great.

With the original experienced gunsmiths and tooling, I like to think of them as having the original Bushmaster quality, which had a great reputation for a reason.

At that price what are you waiting for?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #10

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have heard great things about them.

Newest Threads