Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   widham ARs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/widham-ars-97740/)

CaseyChadwell 09-27-2013 10:48 PM

widham ARs

Cabelas has these on sale for 699 right now. Anyone have any experience with these? I've never shot one, but the price seems right, plus with every purchase you help out the wounded warrior project...could one go wrong with this purchase?

CaseyChadwell 09-27-2013 10:51 PM

Keep in mind, I would like to hunt coyotes with this rifle, so accuracy needs to be decent enough out to 200 yards. Apparently these are cabelas exclusive firearms...

Sniper03 09-27-2013 10:53 PM

I saw those and the variance in visible parts like the cheap stock used. Have not had any experience with this rifle but one thing I do know it is made by the same people who did own and build the Bushmasters in the North East. The Freedom Group bought the brand and moved it to NY State. Then the old Bushmaster group just started another factory.?????
If that tells anyone anything. Not my choice but could be worth it for the money. But you can build a great quality rifle yourself for around $750.

partdeux 09-27-2013 10:56 PM

I have one, and I love it. I bought the slightly upgraded Cabela's model when they had it on sale before the market turned upside down.

Anna_Purna 09-27-2013 10:57 PM

Guaranteed for life, They used to be Bushmaster back in the day when bushmaster was good. Then they went into retirement and Bushmaster then began having some bad reputations The owner of windham didnt want to have his company name he made for many years fall by the wayside, so when Bushmaster was sold to Remington I believe, and moved the production out of Maine, and left all the machines etc, the owner came back out of retirement , bought the old company tooling back for pennies on the dollar, and started the new company Windham Weaponry. I have one and its fit and finish were better than any other brand I compared to in the stores and has been nothing but fun ever since.

For 699.00 they are practically giving them away. before the big scare they were selling for 850 to 950 dollars in the stores.

Anna_Purna 09-27-2013 11:01 PM

Mine before the boating accident: :(
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52f81088.jpg

Quentin 09-27-2013 11:37 PM

The Windmaster story is a nice one but as usual you should buy the gun, not the story.

Windham makes comspec corner cutter ARs on par with Bushmaster and DPMS but for the same money you can buy a better AR like PSA. Anyone who already has a Windham, etc. that's working out well for them, that's great. But if you're looking to buy a new AR today you've got to compare the comspecs with PSA because PSA gives you a lot more for the money. Last year I put together a $700 PSA just to see what you could get for the money. I got a milspec upper with a FN 16" LW midlength gas barrel, BCM M16 BCG, MBUS2 rear sight, PSA LBK, my own stripped lower, a couple PMAGs and a sling. Other than the midlength gas and semiauto trigger this is as milspec as you can get. Since I used a BCM BCG this PSA compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense ARs. A very pleasant surprise.

kryptar19 09-28-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1385852)
The Windmaster story is a nice one but as usual you should buy the gun, not the story.

Windham makes comspec corner cutter ARs on par with Bushmaster and DPMS but for the same money you can buy a better AR like PSA. Anyone who already has a Windham, etc. that's working out well for them, that's great. But if you're looking to buy a new AR today you've got to compare the comspecs with PSA because PSA gives you a lot more for the money. Last year I put together a $700 PSA just to see what you could get for the money. I got a milspec upper with a FN 16" LW midlength gas barrel, BCM M16 BCG, MBUS2 rear sight, PSA LBK, my own stripped lower, a couple PMAGs and a sling. Other than the midlength gas and semiauto trigger this is as milspec as you can get. Since I used a BCM BCG this PSA compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense ARs. A very pleasant surprise.

I have to disagree with you Q. Windham AR's are a very good rifle, especially at $700. They build a very good quality gun, and to compare them to DPMS is laughable.

Truth be told their quaility cintrol is on par with S&W, Colt, and PSA. As a matter of fact it is(I believe) a 12 step process. In the time that Ive been selling them, Ive NEVER had a problem.

BRL 09-28-2013 02:06 AM

Great Price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1385812)
Guaranteed for life, They used to be Bushmaster back in the day when bushmaster was good...I have one and its fit and finish were better than any other brand I compared to in the stores and has been nothing but fun ever since.
For 699.00 they are practically giving them away...

I agree, a shooting buddy has one and their quality seems great.

With the original experienced gunsmiths and tooling, I like to think of them as having the original Bushmaster quality, which had a great reputation for a reason.

At that price what are you waiting for?

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/...0/th_009-7.jpg

ccase39 09-28-2013 02:21 AM

I have heard great things about them.