Why I will never by steel cased ammo again - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why I will never by steel cased ammo again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I don't shoot the garbage because Im a reloader for one and I don't want to have to worry about a case getting stuck or if it will even fire at all. The accuracy or lack of is another concern I have with garbage ammo. No thanks. If I cant use brass cased factory or my handloads I wont shoot. Hasn't been a problem yet. Maybe when the S does HTF I will use it but until then you guys enjoy it.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1849 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

I've caught flames for saying no steel for my AR. Even though said I maybe occasionally just not all the time. Got napalmed by people who "shot thousands and no problem ever"

Truth is, we never know for sure who is behind this or that color Bear. Especially in the time of shortage. We do know the the AK was designed around the presumably steel cased cartridge, and the Stoner design was not. Taking a chance on your own AR is a matter of personal budget and "risk tolerance" Putting grade 87 gas in a sports car is probably safe, until one day the timing is off for some reason, and the engine knocks. I asked Massad Ayoob the "steel case question" in correspondence, he confirmed what he has written before: not the best idea.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_humm View Post
Well I sucked it up and used the rest of my steel, about 120 rounds total just that one FTE so I'm gonna write it off as a fluke.

It just gave me a bad impression since it was the first steel case I used in it.
Pardon me if I missed it. Could it be, your extractor got a little gummed up with viscous stuff after a prior cleaning, and needed a cycle to break in? Rusting could do that too, though unlikely in youe case.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #34

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
Pardon me if I missed it. Could it be, your extractor got a little gummed up with viscous stuff after a prior cleaning, and needed a cycle to break in? Rusting could do that too, though unlikely in youe case.
Could have I suppose, however I doubt that it would have ripped part of the rim of the shell off

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_humm View Post
Could have I suppose, however I doubt that it would have ripped part of the rim of the shell off
This is only speculation. The extractor grabbed the rim but failed to get a good purchase of it, and ripped off the edge. I also suppose that kind of steel will break off where brass may bend and give way. On the next round the extractor was in full range of motion, and grabbed the rim effectively to pull the case.

I have not seen this myself. It is interesting, because it confirms what I hear: the AR extractor and the east european mil surp ammo were not meant to work together.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Speaking of Russian steel ammo, what a coincidence i found this while reading on another forum 2 days ago.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

From my shooting experience, i prefer Wolf than Tula. I rarely have problems with Wolf.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #37

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Speaking of Russian steel ammo, what a coincidence i found this while reading on another forum 2 days ago.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

From my shooting experience, i prefer Wolf than Tula. I rarely have problems with Wolf.
For the $1260 difference in ammo price I can buy a hell of alot of barrels . I have had lesser issues with Tul than I have with Wolf . Never cycling issues or stuck cases with either , main problem is FTF with wolf . I wouldnt consider the bushmaster barrel a high quality barrel anyway. The russian bear ammo" brown and silver " I have used I thought was fairly clean no issues with it either

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-03-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I have never purchased anything online from cheaper than dirt...Their shipping rates are outrageous. I have bought stuff from the store in Fort Worth when I am out there.
Cheaper Than Dirt does have outrageous shipping costs, but they make up for it with ridiculously high markups.

Seriously, I will never order from them after their business practices during the recent shortages. When I see a brick of 525 Rem .22LR priced at $179 plus $24 shipping I tend to go elsewhere--forever.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #39

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So you did use steel cased ammo again?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #40

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
Speaking of Russian steel ammo, what a coincidence i found this while reading on another forum 2 days ago. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/ From my shooting experience, i prefer Wolf than Tula. I rarely have problems with Wolf.
I can fire wolf all day long in my ar.