Why I will never by steel cased ammo again - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why I will never by steel cased ammo again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_humm
Well I sucked it up and used the rest of my steel, about 120 rounds total just that one FTE so I'm gonna write it off as a fluke. It just gave me a bad impression since it was the first steel case I used in it.

My first round of Tula stuck in my chamber also! Really bad first impressions. But it is cheap ammo. I didn't experience that bad of shearing from the extractor, it was bad enough to not hold on to the case though. I borrowed a buddies BCG from his M&P and it grabbed enough for me to get it out. I didn't try another round of Tula that day since I didn't have a rod to get it out if it were to stick and I wasn't gonna take a chance of ruining mine or my buddies extractor again.

It stuck in my home built AR. With a Rainier arms ultra match barrel - .223 wylde. And a Rainier arms phosphate BCG. It runs brass ammo great, so I wrote it off as a not so great mix of a match chamber and cheap steel cases.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #22

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmnttd
My first round of Tula stuck in my chamber also! Really bad first impressions. But it is cheap ammo. I didn't experience that bad of shearing from the extractor, it was bad enough to not hold on to the case though. I borrowed a buddies BCG from his M&P and it grabbed enough for me to get it out. I didn't try another round of Tula that day since I didn't have a rod to get it out if it were to stick and I wasn't gonna take a chance of ruining mine or my buddies extractor again. It stuck in my home built AR. With a Rainier arms ultra match barrel - .223 wylde. And a Rainier arms phosphate BCG. It runs brass ammo great, so I wrote it off as a not so great mix of a match chamber and cheap steel cases.
Honestly it left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. I'd probably get it again since the rest went through fine, but I wouldn't expect much from it...

Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This happens alot. Here's the funny thing about Russian (steel cased) ammo...

Those who own budget ARs are often first in line to shoot the cheaper ammo. That makes perfect sense. Yet the higher end (or at least milspec, chrome-lined, w/ M16 BCG) type rifles are the ones that tend to digest it best. But the owners of such rifles (often $1000-1600, though they can be built for $800 or so) often refuse to shoot Russian junk through their precious ARs. Cheaper (commercial/big box store) ARs are generally solid rifles, but many will struggle to cycle the cheaper ammo.

I own some Russian ammo. It runs fine in my ARs. My ARs are all $1-2K rifles setup to my specifics desires, which includes the ability to gobble up the cheap stuff. So I shoot some of it and have found it to be reliable, accurate, and in some cases they're actually loaded with excellent and versatile defense bullets (Silver Bear w/ 62gr JHP is a favorite). But I'd still tend to rely on brased-cased ammo for 'failure is not an option' serious busines.

Those who want to shoot Russian ammo, often lack the gun to match.
Those who have a worthy gun, often refuse to shoot it.
Go figure.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2026 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Silver bear might be a solution. Silver bear is zinc coated. Personally I have never had any issues with lacquer coated ammo in a variety of calibers. But I have heard of certain guns having issues with lacquer coated ammo. I have never seen anyone have an issue with lacquer coated ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Silver bear might be a solution. Silver bear is zinc coated. Personally I have never had any issues with lacquer coated ammo in a variety of calibers. But I have heard of certain guns having issues with lacquer coated ammo. I have never seen anyone have an issue with lacquer coated ammo.
the problems associated with shooting lacquer coated ammo has been around for several years. some people have problems with it from shooting high volumes of ammo and the barrels and chambers getting hot enough to melt it and transfer it to the chamber, making it difficult to chamber or extract a round.

a person who shoots low volumes of lacquer coated ammo or under slower fire, may never have those problems. i have shot lacquer coated ammo and have never had a problem with it.

the problems will be determined by the rifle and the person's shooting style IMO as to whether they have problems with lacquer coated ammo.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sweeper summed it up for me, I have a pile of AR's that have not functioned with steel case ammo because I am one who will feed only brass cases. I have shot thousands without incident and because the rifles perform flawlessly I have no need to wonder if this will be the "next stuck case". I look at it like riding a M/C, steel cases will crash! (apologies to all the many riders out there who have not gone down) :-)

Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Silver bear might be a solution. Silver bear is zinc coated.
Back when I had a DPMS, it would run into occasional issues with Silver Bear...and that was a gun that had been upgraded to an M16 BCG. Chrome-lining is key, and that rifle didn't have it. Brass is always ideal. But Silver Bear runs great in my current ARs, which are probably worth north of $1500/per on average.

My only other issue with Silver Bear is that Cheaper Than Dirt was my primary source for it...and I refuse to ever buy from them again. I think Sportsman's Guide stocks it occasionally though. About 95% of my .223/5.56 is brass-cased. So while I see the Russian stuff as a viable and affordable option, 'viable' should not be confused with 'ideal'.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #28

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

I had two Tula ammo do that in my bushmaster c-15. Glad i wasn't the only one with this problem. Shot the rest with no problem though.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #29

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefan88
I had two Tula ammo do that in my bushmaster c-15. Glad i wasn't the only one with this problem. Shot the rest with no problem though.
Yeah I shot again today with the same stuff. No problems either.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2026 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Back when I had a DPMS, it would run into occasional issues with Silver Bear...and that was a gun that had been upgraded to an M16 BCG. Chrome-lining is key, and that rifle didn't have it. Brass is always ideal. But Silver Bear runs great in my current ARs, which are probably worth north of $1500/per on average.

My only other issue with Silver Bear is that Cheaper Than Dirt was my primary source for it...and I refuse to ever buy from them again. I think Sportsman's Guide stocks it occasionally though. About 95% of my .223/5.56 is brass-cased. So while I see the Russian stuff as a viable and affordable option, 'viable' should not be confused with 'ideal'.
The Sportsmans Guide does carry silver bear ammo. They always have cheaper shipping rates than cheaper than dirt. Lots of times you can get free shipping from SG. I have never purchased anything online from cheaper than dirt...Their shipping rates are outrageous. I have bought stuff from the store in Fort Worth when I am out there.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato