Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Why I will never by steel cased ammo again (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/why-i-will-never-steel-cased-ammo-again-100947/)

t_humm 11-29-2013 07:22 PM

Why I will never by steel cased ammo again

Well I went to the range today, fired my first shot and this wonderful case decided to get stuck.
Invade you can't see it, sorry it's my phone camera, the wedge of the case was also sheeted off

t_humm 11-29-2013 07:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry forgot the pics.

I ended up getting it out but it tools few good hits

SSGN_Doc 11-29-2013 07:32 PM

I see no picture.

I don't know what your last statement means.

What type if ammo? Brand, case type, coating type?

What type of rifle? AR I'm assuming. Brand, carbine or rifle, chrome lining or not, gas system DI or piston?

What cleaning and inspection was done prior to firing?

Not trying to be a pain but you will probably get asked some if these questions as the thread progresses. I figure we could cut to the chase. It's also good data for determining contributing causes or compiling data on certain manufacturers of guns or ammo having problems.

Thanks in advance for your contribution of data.

SSGN_Doc 11-29-2013 07:37 PM

Not sure if its just the pic, but the top
Pic looks like there is a bit of a lip on the chamber mouth. You may want to get the rifle checked by a gunsmith if that is the case, or if it is a brand new rifle, call the manufacturer.

John_Deer 11-29-2013 07:51 PM

How did the rim of the case get buggered up like that?

SSGN_Doc 11-29-2013 07:53 PM

OK, I saw the picture in your other post. So it answers a couple of questions, that is definitely a DI gas system, AR.

Another question I came up with is:

Is it a carbine gas system, mid-length, or rifle length?

Is the gun new or pre-owned?

SSGN_Doc 11-29-2013 07:58 PM

OK to keep things simple I will repost my questions in this thread, since the pics are in this one.

What type if ammo? Brand, case type, coating type?

What type of rifle? AR I'm assuming. Brand, carbine or rifle, chrome lining or not, gas system DI or piston?

What cleaning and inspection was done prior to firing?

Is it a carbine gas system, mid-length, or rifle length?

What type of buffer are you running? Standard, H, H1, H2, 9mm, etc.?

Is the gun new or pre-owned?

Not trying to be a pain but you will probably get asked some if these questions as the thread progresses. I figure we could cut to the chase. It's also good data for determining contributing causes or compiling data on certain manufacturers of guns or ammo having problems.

SSGN_Doc 11-29-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1444419)
How did the rim of the case get buggered up like that?

My guess would be that the case rim got sheared off because the case was stuck in the chamber? May have had another round shoved into the back as well.

t_humm 11-29-2013 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whindam Weaponry SRC
Carbine length
DI gas system
Not brand new but I'm the first owner, probably 150-200 rounds through it (all brass until today)

The ammo was Tulammo .223
Steel cased FMJ
Walmart $5.27

I took it home and knocked the case out with a cleaning kit and fired another 79 rounds of steel case through with no problems.

Here's the extractor, looks fine to me just dirty.

t_humm 11-29-2013 08:42 PM

Also it was cleaned initially after shooting last time, probably 3 weeks ago. Wasn't touched until today