Why double tap? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why double tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5932 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
One shot...One Kill...was always a nice mantra durring my term of Infantry Service...

Tack

I watched an interesting program on the military channel recently.

The program was about the U.S. Army sniper school. One of the lead instructors, a SFC, IIRC., stated that "one shot, one kill" was the motto, of course, but in the field, the actual kill usually came on the second, or often the third shot. Sometimes the fourth.

This trooper had several sniper deployments under his belt, as well as several years instructing at the sniper school.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #12

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I watched an interesting program on the military channel recently.

The program was about the U.S. Army sniper school. One of the lead instructors, a SFC, IIRC., stated that "one shot, one kill" was the motto, of course, but in the field, the actual kill usually came on the second, or often the third shot. Sometimes the fourth.

This trooper had several sniper deployments under his belt, as well as several years instructing at the sniper school.
I believe it was the late Col. Jeff Cooper who said..."Don't just shoot him until YOU think he's done...shoot him until HE thinks HE's done!"

...or something like that.

Tack

Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

Double tap hell, you put two in the chest and one in the head. That make sure they ain't playing possum.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Why double tap? Cause if it was worth shooting it, it was worth shooting it twice.

Actually, MY motto is "Shoot until it catches fire or changes shape."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #15

Liked 4136 Times on 2024 Posts
Likes Given: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Why double tap? Cause if it was worth shooting it, it was worth shooting it twice.

Actually, MY motto is "Shoot until it catches fire or changes shape."

The target, or your handguards?! :EEK:

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"Why double tap?"

Interesting read but the fact is, it doesn't say anything new. I have always been trained to 'eliminate/stop' all threats.

I remember being told by a range officer at the Patrol Academy some thing like this: Keep you revolver in the holster, don't go waving it around. Before you remove it from the holster, you must have legal grounds. If you have legal ground to pull the revolver, you have legal grounds to fire, if you have legal ground to fire, you have legal ground to empty the revolver. Fire only as a last resort but don't die debating it.
Revolvers are no longer the weapon of choice (finally) but the concept remains valid. Back when I was a range office, I promoted the view of shooting until the 'suspect' is no longer a threat. In the late 70's the 'sociologists' started coming threw the range and they wanted to cure the poor individual. My thoughts were, yea right, your ghost can reason with them after your dead.

I 'double tap' or more, just because of habit with any auto loader, pistol and rifle. 39 years of training is hard to put a side.

Enjoy,

OSOK

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5932 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
"Why double tap?"

Interesting read but the fact is, it doesn't say anything new. I have always been trained to 'eliminate/stop' all threats.

I remember being told by a range officer at the Patrol Academy some thing like this: Keep you revolver in the holster, don't go waving it around. Before you remove it from the holster, you must have legal grounds. If you have legal ground to pull the revolver, you have legal grounds to fire, if you have legal ground to fire, you have legal ground to empty the revolver. Fire only as a last resort but don't die debating it.
Revolvers are no longer the weapon of choice (finally) but the concept remains valid. Back when I was a range office, I promoted the view of shooting until the 'suspect' is no longer a threat. In the late 70's the 'sociologists' started coming threw the range and they wanted to cure the poor individual. My thoughts were, yea right, your ghost can reason with them after your dead.

I 'double tap' or more, just because of habit with any auto loader, pistol and rifle. 39 years of training is hard to put a side.
Same thing basically that I was taught, and that i taiught others as an instructor.

If you do not have both legal and moral justification to kill, you don't have justification to shoot. If you do have justification, you continue shooting until the threat is neutralized.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps
"Why double tap?"

I am responding to this with the experience of almost 30 years as a LEO in Cal. If you think you have the authority to shoot any time you have the legal grounds to pull the pistol, you are very wrong, and advise like this will get you sent to prison in Cal under many circumstances.

As an example, if you are confronted with a bad guy approaching with a knife extended, 40 feet away from, you may legally draw your weapon to defend yourself. If the suspect immediately lays on the ground crying, you ARE NOT justified in shooting that person. This of course is an extreme example, but the legal premise holds true. I legally pulled my weapon from it's holster hundreds of times when I was not justified, legally or morally, in shooting with the info I had at the time!

This training you allude to may have been the case at one time, but I started my PO training in 1978, and what I have expressed here has not changed significantly since then in Cal.

In addition, if you ever do shoot someone, which I hope you never have to do, you were shooting to stop the threat, NOT TO KILL! This is what you better say to the cops and the judge!

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....J B Books.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2105 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I like the 9 tap from a shotgun at close range.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

2ndfan,

I'm not about to disagree. But the Missouri Laws at the time were that way. I remember Sheriff Mickey Owen saying one time that in Greene County, you don't have to prove your not guilty of murder, all you have to do is prove the SOB needed to be killed. Google him, he was a nice man. Never got to work for him, it would have been interesting, him and Buff Lamb
After I left the COP shop, I worked for and retired from an agency that demanded the use of deadly force for a list of property crimes! Look this one up under 10CFR and the Atomic Energy Act of 1952 as amended. Oh, their standard was two center mass and one to the head. I ended up with a glock
Still don't like them, the glocks.

EDIT BY MOD- Papps-play nice now. C3

Enjoy,

OSOK

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-30-2012 at 11:14 PM.