Why do you own a(n) SUR?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why do you own a(n) SUR?

View Poll Results: Why do you own one or more SURs?
None of your business 5 10.87%
I like them 11 23.91%
I am a ninja and I must have them for my Security job 7 15.22%
They are a good platform that works great. 13 28.26%
Other Please post reason. 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default Why do you own a(n) SUR?

Why do you own one or more AR-15 rifles?

I wanted one because I wanted one. I didn't need it I just wanted it. Plus we all know that zombies are coming and there is nothing we can do about it. A bolt gun will kill them but when you got 15 zombies trying to eat your brains a 5 rnd mag ain't doin crap but getting you killed.

OK I wanted a varmint rife with a higher capacity then 5 that was a tad lighter than the 13# my remmy weighs in at will all her stuff on. I load 2 20 round mags and set to the field to bush ground hogs. Don't have to go back to the truck if I have my camelbak on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Simply because I didn't own any long guns at all. It doesn't get shot much but it (and 1000 rounds of ammo) sits at the ready...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I built mine because I wanted a project. I wanted to learn a skill and I needed a task to teach myself that skill. I'm not a big 223 fan but mine is chambered for the round and it's fun to shoot. Once funds loosen up I have plans to build another one in a caliber more to my liking.

I have to admit, now that I have it completed every groundhog I see has a big bulls eye on it. Sometimes I wish I lived in pararie dog country.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Spity I think we need to organize the yearly FTF Strike Team 1 Prairie Dog Wars.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I could so get into that!! Give a little time to work up a good load for it. Got any recommendations? 20" barrel, 1:9.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Why do you own one or more AR-15 rifles?
The time: 1975
The place: Lackland Air Force Base, TX
The why: Basic training

I am blind as a bat without my eyeglasses at distance. (Near sighted)
Of course I managed to break them several weeks into basic, about 3 days before we went to receive some small arms training and "qualify" with Air Force M-16A1 rifles. Of course my replacement eyes had not yet been procured.

So after we went through our classroom training and got out on the firing line, they put us in our positions at our firing points. The RSO went through the course of fire procedure again and then asked if there any questions. I raised my hand and informed him of my predicament.

He asked me if I could see the target (silhouette) downrange from me.
I answered "barely -- it's just a blur".
His response: "Then shoot at it!"

After it was over I dreaded awaiting the results since this was the second time in my life I had ever fired a center-fire rifle. Then as everyone was gathered around the RSO to get their scores, he called out my name and score. Then he says -- "Blind my @SS!", and said that I cleaned the target (75/75). He then proclaimed me to be a sand-bagger.....

That was the day I was sold on the platform - for life!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Need I say more

obama1.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I decided to build my SUR for a few reasons one already stated above(the zombies will come). But seriously I have always like the m-16/ar-15 platform even before i really knew alot about them. and now that you have more options then just 5.56/223 im really excited i have already started to plan for my next one (beowolf)and i dont have the first one done yet. just waitin for my tax return. but i will have a few black rifles in my arsenal by the time im done. just gotta get back to the civalized side of the country(anything east of kommiefornia)

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im a ninja employed by the mall to keep it safe from the violence sweeping our nation. No not really. Just trying to keep up on some training.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I built mine because I like it and I wanted one. I thought it would be my best bet for a SHTF gun until I bought my Socom.

IMO, the Socom will be my first zombie choice. Ammo should be pretty easy to come by, especially if I keep handloading for .308 every day as I have been. I like the knockdown power of the .308 over the .223 in that situation, plus I have several 20-round mags for it so capacity is almost the same. Something about 20 rapid-fire .308 rounds over 30 .223 rounds that I like.