Why, Colt...why? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Why, Colt...why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1193 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

But is that a wear mark on the other side?
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #32

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
But is that a wear mark on the other side?
Hmm, I don't see a mark...though I did run to the gun cabinet just to be sure...everything looks fine to me =)

Edit: I see what "mark" you're referring to now, but no, its just that I kept the old spring from the original port cover, and that port cover had a slightly smaller opening...should I change over to the larger spring, then, to eliminate that gap? (It does not appear to impede the performance whatsoever)

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 12-30-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No if it's in right I wouldn't change it. I just know it's easy to put that spring on backwards and when I saw that shiny area on the receiver where it looks like the short leg of the spring used to touch... well that's what it looked like.

It probably would work either way but the legs of the spring should unwind from the inside (toward the receiver so they contact it flat) not from the outside where they contact at a sharp angle and gouge. A close up picture would tell the tale.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #34

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
No if it's in right I wouldn't change it. I just know it's easy to put that spring on backwards and when I saw that shiny area on the receiver where it looks like the short leg of the spring used to touch... well that's what it looked like.

It probably would work either way but the legs of the spring should unwind from the inside (toward the receiver so they contact it flat) not from the outside where they contact at a sharp angle and gouge. A close up picture would tell the tale.
Hmm, good point. I thought it was correct, but you would definitely be the better judge of that =) Here's a few closeups...is this the angle you're looking for to be sure?

p.s....thanks a ton for going that extra mile to make sure everything was setup properly
close1.jpg   close2.jpg  

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I like the new dust cover. My dumb question is, "why is the rifle marked "for law enforcement only..."?". Is it something other than regular ole semi-auto or is it a lil short?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hmmmmmm:

I've never seen a spring like that, but really like it as it pretty much makes it so it doesn't matter if you get it on backwards. I'm certain it is on backwards from before because of the wear point, that's where the little leg used to be. All the springs I've seen before would be gouging the receiver installed like yours but the way Colt bent both legs it really doesn't matter. If you can imagine an unbent short leg coming off the top of the shaft it would be digging into the receiver hard. Anyway, I can't see any need to change yours. Other opinions welcome though.

Ya learn something every day!

BTW, this is one of the things that guys would get laughed at in the past, like installing the castle nut backwards. But you can say, nah, that's old school, this is the way Colt does things now!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I like the new dust cover. My dumb question is, "why is the rifle marked "for law enforcement only..."?". Is it something other than regular ole semi-auto or is it a lil short?
During the AWB and until recently Colt's LE series (even semiauto) said Law Enforcement Only but that's being phased out now due to the Sporter line. Today it shouldn't matter owning a gun or magazine that's stamped LEO but an uninformed officer might think differently or one in a ban state. And of course if there's another ban it could be trouble. A lot of civilians own LEO equipment and normally it shouldn't matter if the gun was purchased legally.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #38

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
LOL JeffCooper...perhaps I was too frustrated to be posting at the time, I still love my Rifle, just tired of buying things only to find out it's going to be "more difficult" to do something that I want to do (happened with my 1911, happened with my car, my computer, etc)
;-) Thought it was my duty to offer. ;-)
Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #39

i'm gonna guess it's the mags. colt is the top dog for the tdp. by getting the colt you are getting a rifle that is built to exacting tolerances as dictated by the tdp. that's why your promags(which are horrible for pistols or rifles) won't run in the colt. op you got a good rifle. ask our troops...

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!

Last edited by ennbee15; 01-02-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: addtl items

Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
I read a lot about the Colt AR-15s and have seen many pay a really high price for them at firearm shows and gun stores. I know they are known for being one of the best, but their AR-15 sold to the non military are not Mil.spec. rifles, they get no military inspection. So IMHO they are no better then many other AR-15s selling at a lot lower prices.
I bought a S&W 15T six years ago and it's been super good in shooting and not having any problems. Only Mag problem I had was when I tried using the Magpul Mags. they just would not lock in, Magpul offered no help other then for me to grind my Mag well to make it work.
This I did not care doing as all my standard AR Mags from many Mfg.s and Lancer Mags worked great.
When I bought another AR-15 a LM&T 2000 Defender it worked great also. so I guess I have not missed anything with not buying the colt, except their high prices.
huh? :eek this may answer some of your mil spec ?'s

Is there better than "Mil-Spec?" - M4Carbine.net Forums
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642&highlight=colt+milspec

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!