Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why, Colt...why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Careful, using the combloc mags means you're out of compliance sir, and if it were i, I wouldn't take the risk...
But, it's not my call
I am willing to bet that there will never be a Fed. snooping around any AMD-65 checking what Mag. is being used at my range or any range thats not in Calif. NYC or other anti-firearm States.
Have you ever heard or even read of any Fed. checking any AK for 922 compliance?
It's just not on the to do list they work from.
I sure don't stay awake at night worrying about it.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Porkchop,

I am a Rock River guy all the way as far as their quality and performance. But I do not think it is your Colt Rifle at all! Just borrow a mag from a buddy and check out your rifle. If it works it is a pro mag problem! I will almost guarantee you it is not your rifle. And if you will send us some picks of your ejection port door and cover (Dust Cover) maybe we can help you with that also!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #23

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

I have to say that, at this point, im wildly disappointed with my purchase....
I have to offer to take this rifle off your hands. I can't bear the thought of anyone being disappointed with the purchases. :-). :-)
Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #24

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

LOL JeffCooper...perhaps I was too frustrated to be posting at the time, I still love my Rifle, just tired of buying things only to find out it's going to be "more difficult" to do something that I want to do (happened with my 1911, happened with my car, my computer, etc)

I need to learn from my stupid mistakes and just get what everyone else already has lol

Anyways, a big gigantic thanks goes to pagj17 for finding the answer.

I swear to god i spent days on google trying to find out how to do this. All it requires is a 1/16" punch on the rear pin (see the picture on page #1) and it'll come right out. I haven't gotten ahold of a 1/16" punch yet, but i'll be stopping by the store on my way home tomorrow and getting one.

Hopefully i'll have pics of the finished job. I realize some hate hte "ninja" additions to the rifle, and I completely respect that, I have other areas of my life that i'm very traditional in as well...but i want my AR15 ninja'd out...I hope you won't hate me, I just want to deck out my rifle (LOL)

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #25

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
... I still love my Rifle, just tired of buying things only to find out it's going to be "more difficult" to do something that I want to do (happened with my 1911, happened with my car, my computer, etc) ...
Well I may be able to help you with the computer, Porkchop! At least a desktop model (not talking about mobile devices right now) - when buying, get as generic a case as you can, make sure industry standard parts fit and are used if you buy instead of build. An industry standard desktop PC is the milspec AR-15 of computers! You can do almost anything you want to with one if you learn what goes on inside (which is why I always build my own PCs) and you can configure it to be exactly what you want. Yeah, just like doing a quality AR build.

Macs are different of course ... well I hate to get into that subject.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well I may be able to help you with the computer, Porkchop! At least a desktop model (not talking about mobile devices right now) - when buying, get as generic a case as you can, make sure industry standard parts fit and are used if you buy instead of build. An industry standard desktop PC is the milspec AR-15 of computers! You can do almost anything you want to with one if you learn what goes on inside (which is why I always build my own PCs) and you can configure it to be exactly what you want. Yeah, just like doing a quality AR build.

Macs are different of course ... well I hate to get into that subject.
LOL I should have been more specific...i build my own computers, i don't buy box store junk machines. However, when ordering the case I have now, I did not read into it clearly enough, thought it came with all the fans I wanted and the LEDs, only to find out, it only had spaces for the fans I wanted, and crap LEDs.

It's one of my biggest faults...i don't research something enough, get piss drunk excited to get it, and miss some minor detail that turns into a headache later =)

And, if i see where you're going with this, then I agree....Mac is nothing more than a trend.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #27

Yeah the first mistake people make buying or building a PC is not putting enough money in the case and power supply, not looking at what's out there and getting exactly what they need. Same with the "chassis" of the AR. Then you start laying goodies on it and find out you're painted into a corner.

It's very easy to miss a detail or two, especially on a complete PC or AR or home theater system, that's the HUGE advantage in building, you can take your time, research each component you buy, stretch out the cost over time so you can buy better and have something to be proud of, if you do your homework and think out every step.

ETA:
I'm not much into LEDs and bling but fans are important so I like a case that has lots of cutouts for 120/140mm fans that run slow and quiet. And a strong power supply with a big fan and lots of pigtails.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-29-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #28

Well, hopefully this will serve as a half-assed guide for anyone who ever experiences this in the future...with that in mind ill add some search engine key words =)

colt le6940 how to replace remove ejection port cover

All I did was go buy a 1/16" punch from Lowes (I actually bought a "set" since they didnt have them individually) for $13.00 (click here to see what it is)

removed the rear pin (the one closest to the butt of the gun...im not sure how to remove the one towards the barrel, it looks like the rail would have to come off? Not sure)

But after punching through the rear pin, i slid off the old port cover, installed the new, reinstalled the pin, and voila!

letitrain.jpg  

Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #29

Is that spring on the same way it used to be? I notice a wear mark on the left indicating the little tab on the right used to be on the left. Or am I just seeing something that's not there. Hard to tell if it's right from the picture.

______

Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Is that spring on the same way it used to be? I notice a wear mark on the left indicating the little tab on the right used to be on the left. Or am I just seeing something that's not there. Hard to tell if it's right from the picture.
It's correct =) I've already taken it out shooting, haha