Why, Colt...why? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Why, Colt...why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Im able to return the magazines, but my buddy is going to give me some money for them and he'll use them in his rifle, they already worked fine for him. I'll just buy some Pmags and be done with it =)

And im still waiting to hear back from Colt. I emailed them, but i don't think they've had long enough to reply. If I dont hear anything by friday ill give them a call. I'm sure those pins have to come out, but I cant figure out how to remove them (no tool I own will fit in them)

Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I also blame the magazine not the rifle. As far as why the ejection port cover is different, it's because of the monolithic upper receiver. This wouldn't be an issue with a standard Colt as JonM said above.

Use proper magazines, lose the kiddie dust cover and be proud of a fine rifle that doesn't need ninja crap to be awesome!
I would agree. Seems like a lot of work and trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Mag Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Sorry, re-reading now, i realize how vague I was. I took some pictures to help describe the problems

As for the magazines, see the first picture. The mag on the left is the "Colt" 30 round mag, and the one on the right is the Pro Mag 42 round. The *ONLY* difference I can find is the backend on the colt is quite a bit more "open" than the one on the pro mag.

Not an exaggeration but literally every other shot in the pro mag was a jam. The next picture is what the "jam" was doing to my rounds (i don't know if that helps identify the problem or not?)

And the last picture is what my ejection port cover setup looks like...at first I thought I could simply unscrew those two pin looking things on either side of the cover and replace the cover.

But I used the smallest allen wrench in my complete set and it's still just a hair too big to fit in that hole.

I have no idea how to switch it out, if it can even be done?
Porkchop,
Your new mags have thicker walls and sharp edges. The edges need to be gently filed or sanded down to a fine curved edge. Also, try opening the mag a thousandth or two to allow the round to easily move up and out. But, try the edge smoothing first.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I read a lot about the Colt AR-15s and have seen many pay a really high price for them at firearm shows and gun stores. I know they are known for being one of the best, but their AR-15 sold to the non military are not Mil.spec. rifles, they get no military inspection. So IMHO they are no better then many other AR-15s selling at a lot lower prices.
I bought a S&W 15T six years ago and it's been super good in shooting and not having any problems. Only Mag problem I had was when I tried using the Magpul Mags. they just would not lock in, Magpul offered no help other then for me to grind my Mag well to make it work.
This I did not care doing as all my standard AR Mags from many Mfg.s and Lancer Mags worked great.
When I bought another AR-15 a LM&T 2000 Defender it worked great also. so I guess I have not missed anything with not buying the colt, except their high prices.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The Pro Mag is sitting to low or your ammo is sitting to low in the mag. From the pic it looks like the ammo is low in the rear.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboarbuster View Post
The Pro Mag is sitting to low or your ammo is sitting to low in the mag. From the pic it looks like the ammo is low in the rear.
I got a ProMag in 7.62x39 with my AMD-65 for the 922 compliance. I loaded it up full 30rds put it in Mag well went to do other things.
We heard this big bang sound and heard things hitting the walls and floor.
The ProMags base has just busted off sending all 30rds and the spring and follower flying.
Needless to say I don't use or allow a ProMag anywhere near me. I use the ComBloc steel 20rds Mags at range, bought a Tapco for the 922compliance but don't use it.
Real friends don't tell their real freinds to buy ProMags.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #17

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474

I got a ProMag in 7.62x39 with my AMD-65 for the 922 compliance. I loaded it up full 30rds put it in Mag well went to do other things.
We heard this big bang sound and heard things hitting the walls and floor.
The ProMags base has just busted off sending all 30rds and the spring and follower flying.
Needless to say I don't use or allow a ProMag anywhere near me. I use the ComBloc steel 20rds Mags at range, bought a Tapco for the 922compliance but don't use it.
Real friends don't tell their real freinds to buy ProMags.
Careful, using the combloc mags means you're out of compliance sir, and if it were i, I wouldn't take the risk...
But, it's not my call

Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #18

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

PM sent with link to directions at (b)arfcom.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #19

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
I read a lot about the Colt AR-15s and have seen many pay a really high price for them at firearm shows and gun stores. I know they are known for being one of the best, but their AR-15 sold to the non military are not Mil.spec. rifles, they get no military inspection.
Milspec is no guarantee of quality; just means it might not blow up in your face. DOD buys from the lowest bidder, some years it is Colt, some years someone else. The M16's I have signed out were made by Mattel, General Motors, Singer Sewing machine company, and a host of other companies making everything from Playdough to cough drops. Most were Ok, but sometimes I would see way too much daylight between the receivers. Sometimes I would luck out and get a Colt. They make good stuff, but there are other high quality AR manufacturers who sell for less.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6822 Times on 3625 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
their AR-15 sold to the non military are not Mil.spec. rifles, they get no military inspection.
the military doesnt inspect each and every rifle or part. milspec just means whatever the military needs they have a set of standards or measurements that the product needs to meet to be purchased. even toilet paper has a milspec standard.

there are a lot of AR15 makers that meet or exceed milspec standards and qualify as milspec but have never sold a single part to the us govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Careful, using the combloc mags means you're out of compliance sir, and if it were i, I wouldn't take the risk...
But, it's not my call
i think the only time you will run into that sort of nonsense is if your in commifornia taxachussetes or the people's republik of illinoise or one of the other liberal hellholes. the atf has more important things to than inspect individual firearms. like selling guns to drug lords... however you can be sure that if your engaged in frequently selling noncompliant or doing other illegal actions with firearms its going to be a sentence enhancer
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.