Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why, Colt...why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Why, Colt...why?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I found out today that "aftermarket parts" won't fit my Colt LE6940.

Apparently, everything is proprietary on a Colt Ar15? For Christmas I got four 42-round promag magazines and a cool ejection port cover (says "let it rain!!")

The magazines jam every other shot and the cover won't install (needless to say, i don't think the cover CAN be installed...this port cover is unlike anything i've seen in online tutorials of how to change port covers)

I'm pretty sure the reason is simple - if you change up the gun, they want it to always be "Colt"....just wish I had read that part of it before deciding on this gun...might have gone with Rock River instead.

Though I guess it's not all bad, i'll just have to find some Colt-specific aftermarket parts...anyone have any recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Its that damn proprietary upper. Really strange that even the ejection port cover is proprietary..

The magazines tho, shouldn't have any issue with your Colt. Maybe you just need to break them in a bit? What kind of issues are you running into? Can you be a little more descriptive? Have you check out the feed lips? Anything out of ordinary?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

The magazine issue is probably because they're made by ProMag, not because it's a colt rifle. ProMag isnt know for making the highest quality stuff.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

Sorry, re-reading now, i realize how vague I was. I took some pictures to help describe the problems

As for the magazines, see the first picture. The mag on the left is the "Colt" 30 round mag, and the one on the right is the Pro Mag 42 round. The *ONLY* difference I can find is the backend on the colt is quite a bit more "open" than the one on the pro mag.

Not an exaggeration but literally every other shot in the pro mag was a jam. The next picture is what the "jam" was doing to my rounds (i don't know if that helps identify the problem or not?)

And the last picture is what my ejection port cover setup looks like...at first I thought I could simply unscrew those two pin looking things on either side of the cover and replace the cover.

But I used the smallest allen wrench in my complete set and it's still just a hair too big to fit in that hole.

I have no idea how to switch it out, if it can even be done?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
The magazine issue is probably because they're made by ProMag, not because it's a colt rifle. ProMag isnt know for making the highest quality stuff.

-Fred
that was my first thought too, but they worked flawlessly in my buddies Rock River LE1040

Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4481 Times on 2363 Posts
Likes Given: 255

bad mags will work differently in different guns. promag magazines have a less than steller reputation for good reason.

as for the door cover its not a standard upper design its a proprietary monolithic upper. when you go with something like that you limit your aftermarket choices. thats why the bushmaster adaptive combat rifle (acr) isnt very adaptable at all

it isnt because colt wants to keep it colt its because it isnt a standard milspec upper your trying to put milspec standard AR15 parts into

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #7

well i've already decided to get some P-Mags from Magpul...already read several other places online from people who own the LE6940 and they love them.

What I cannot find, ANYWHERE, however, is how to replace that ejection port cover. Anyone have any idea at all?

I have to say that, at this point, im wildly disappointed with my purchase...i'm hopeful this one minor thing can be done...but time will tell. Special tool, perhaps? No matter what I type into google, i get all the same nonsense "buy this" "Go here to read about colt handguns" ... search engines are total crap these days unless you know the exact wording required to get what you're looking for, and if you knew what that exact wording was, chances are you don't need a search engine to do what it is you're aiming for.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 12-28-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Have tried contacting colt? Looks like you may have to rmove some roll pins....

Also what's the return policy on those mags you bought?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #9

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Hey AgentTikki, I replied to your PM but your inbox is full so I lost a long reply. So boiled down here to ... yes!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #10

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I also blame the magazine not the rifle. As far as why the ejection port cover is different, it's because of the monolithic upper receiver. This wouldn't be an issue with a standard Colt as JonM said above.

Use proper magazines, lose the kiddie dust cover and be proud of a fine rifle that doesn't need ninja crap to be awesome!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.