Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why a Colt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

You do know you can buy a Colt for about the same price as BCM? In fact many of us can walk in our local Walmart and get a 6920 for a little over a thousand. And that's not hype.

LMT is good but you'll have to do better than just say you've heard it's better than Colt. Also LMT often costs more than Colt or BCM.

Spikes is quite good but as a serious duty rifle falls short of Colt and BCM. Also, I've only handled a Spikes but suspect PSA gives you a better rifle for less money. That's not saying there's anything wrong with Spikes but it isn't a Colt.
Okay, your entitled to your opinion and I am too, appreciate the feed back but have found BCM's $925 and cheaper, and I own a Spikes so I am bias but I will tell you, I know people who use them in carbine classes and patrol and perform just as good as BCM. In fact, one gentleman took his ST15 LE M4 carbine (Spikes entry level) and took a 3 day carbine class, cleaned it after the first day and over the course of the second and third day he shot 2,000 or more rounds without cleaning, however at the end of the third day had one malfunction and continued to fire 100 rounds before the class was over. Personally I like Daniel defense over LMT do to specs, watch the Daniel defense torture test, you will be impressed sir. Yeah I'm 17, you may think or treat me like my opinion doesn't matter or I have no knowledge but I ask you don't treat me like a kid, the people at my local gun shop certinetly don't, and the deputies I work with don't either (law enforcement explorer).

Respectfully,
PittTac

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Colt has been producing rifles and carbines for the military since the Air Force first started issuing the rifles during the Viet Nam War. Name another AR-15 manufacturer that has been producing the weapons for that length of time. Colt and the military have pretty much figured out what works and what doesn't. No other company, to my knowledge, has more time or money invested in the platform. UAW labor costs and a manufacturing setup that was clearly not optimized for mass production probably accounts for a lot of the cost of the weapons. Take a tour of the facilities and then tour the facilities of some other major arms manufacturers and the differences are pretty clear.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #23

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittTactical556 View Post
Okay, your entitled to your opinion and I am too, appreciate the feed back but have found BCM's $925 and cheaper, and I own a Spikes so I am bias but I will tell you, I know people who use them in carbine classes and patrol and perform just as good as BCM. In fact, one gentleman took his ST15 LE M4 carbine (Spikes entry level) and took a 3 day carbine class, cleaned it after the first day and over the course of the second and third day he shot 2,000 or more rounds without cleaning, however at the end of the third day had one malfunction and continued to fire 100 rounds before the class was over. Personally I like Daniel defense over LMT do to specs, watch the Daniel defense torture test, you will be impressed sir. Yeah I'm 17, you may think or treat me like my opinion doesn't matter or I have no knowledge but I ask you don't treat me like a kid, the people at my local gun shop certinetly don't, and the deputies I work with don't either (law enforcement explorer).

Respectfully,
PittTac
PittTac, all I can say is act like an adult here and you'll find people treat you like one. I didn't say a thing to you until you started dredging up all those dead threads and then said here Colt is all hype. Think things out a little and you'll do fine.

I would like to see a link to that "$925 and cheaper" BCM complete AR for sale today. With rear sight, sling, magazines like a complete Colt 6920 for a little over $1000 (not long ago I saw one for $1047 at Walmart and last summer around $999 at CDNN).

As far as Daniel Defense and the torture tests, you don't have to tell me about them - I have a DD. And a BCM. And a PSA. Spikes may be good but back when you still were in grade school they made many of us mad by price gouging during the panic buying of 2008-9. A lot of guys won't have a Spikes for that reason - now that may be their loss but with PSA around today it's a lot harder to make a good case for buying Spikes.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #24

Liked 208 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
Yes colt is good but they are all Hype, look into BCM, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense, LaRue Tactical, LMT and Noveske
All those you mentioned are great guns; some actually falling into the upper part of Tier 1 AR's, and priced as such. Time after time, though, Colt stands out for quality, and yes, for name recognition. There are higher priced AR's that are not as reliable as Colt, none hold the percentage of resale value like the Colts. Went to a gun show this weekend, and an SP1 sold for $2700 bucks a few minutes after opening. A registered Colt full auto went for 25 grand.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

PittTac, all I can say is act like an adult here and you'll find people treat you like one. I didn't say a thing to you until you started dredging up all those dead threads and then said here Colt is all hype. Think things out a little and you'll do fine.

I would like to see a link to that "$925 and cheaper" BCM complete AR for sale today. With rear sight, sling, magazines like a complete Colt 6920 for a little over $1000 (not long ago I saw one for $1047 at Walmart and last summer around $999 at CDNN).

As far as Daniel Defense and the torture tests, you don't have to tell me about them - I have a DD. And a BCM. And a PSA. Spikes may be good but back when you still were in grade school they made many of us mad by price gouging during the panic buying of 2008-9. A lot of guys won't have a Spikes for that reason - now that may be their loss but with PSA around today it's a lot harder to make a good case for buying Spikes.
I never said you were just asking you wouldn't in the future. My only response to the spikes dilemma is this, when Colt first started building the AR15 and M16 platform, you don't think they never had issues with their first models do you? What about BCM, you think they got their reputation over night? All I am saying is yea, spikes did start off pretty bumpy but I can assure you, they have got it right now, as does colt and BCM. Nothing happens overnight. Thank you sir for the constructive feedback. Just ask any Spikes owner, they are good to go. And yes I have shot colt, however that doesn't matter lol.

Last edited by PittTactical556; 12-13-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

All those you mentioned are great guns; some actually falling into the upper part of Tier 1 AR's, and priced as such. Time after time, though, Colt stands out for quality, and yes, for name recognition. There are higher priced AR's that are not as reliable as Colt, none hold the percentage of resale value like the Colts. Went to a gun show this weekend, and an SP1 sold for $2700 bucks a few minutes after opening. A registered Colt full auto went for 25 grand.
I would have to agree, Noveske, LMT and LaRue aren't as proven as the Colt, I agree their. If I could have bought a colt I would but was on a budget and got the next best thing.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Wow! My dad was just issued a M16, Colt model 604 I believer (full auto). Let me tell you it's pretty beat up, probably served in Vietnam haha, but he says it shoots like new and gets the job done. That's colt for you lol, however he wishes he did get a more modern M4, possibly SBR with a FA.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #28

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
I would have to agree, Noveske, LMT and LaRue aren't as proven as the Colt, I agree their. If I could have bought a colt I would but was on a budget and got the next best thing.
But PT, in the picture thread you said you have $1300 in your Spikes which looks pretty KISS except for a couple hundred in Magpul upgrades. That puts you right at the price point of a Colt 6920! And since you went with a 16" with carbine length gas why not get the Pony over the spider.

Nothing wrong with KISS in an AR, I actually prefer it. I would have got a Colt except I prefer midlength gas in a 16" barrel. Thus DD, BCM, PSA. Anyway, no matter, you like your rifle and that what matters.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #29

Liked 208 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
If I had any of those 3 guns, I wouldn't complain.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

If I had any of those 3 guns, I wouldn't complain.
I to would not complain, all top notch rifles