Why a Colt? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why a Colt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

A Colt will carry a well recognized resale value - if a possible sale might be in your future.
The gun will be recognized as a quality piece - no questions asked. And that will boost it's value - to many many people.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
A Colt will carry a well recognized resale value - if a possible sale might be in your future.
The gun will be recognized as a quality piece - no questions asked. And that will boost it's value - to many many people.
Actually, I had a Colt Commander and wanted to trade it for a Ed Brown @ the LGS and didnt even come close to the money I paid for it. I ended up selling it out right and got more money for it. Guns are like used cars. It doesnt matter what brand name it is. Its still a used gun no matter how you slice it.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I see a lot of people on this forum that say buy a Colt. Why a Colt? What makes them so much better than all the other AR manufacturers?
A Colt is a known commodity, high quality, consistent and respected. Better than brand 'X', maybe, maybe not, there is the point of being a known commodity.

For this you get to pay higher prices and don't get the knife edge advancements.

Is it worth it? Yes and no. Don't have time/ability/energy to compare, go with the Colt (or Armilite). Want something, maybe a little better, more custom, over built, cheaper or several other options, build your own or buy one from a maker that does this kind of work. Just want one of them 'black' rifles, buy the 'coolest' looking thing you see (it most likely will work, more or less).

For what it is worth: I have built (I like that 'built' part, its just putting together parts) all of my ARs. Unless a great buy comes my way, I don't see me buying a complete weapon, Colt or not.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As a former black gun dealer and marine combat vet from nam(only 1 in 7 in nam was ever in combat) as well as a PMI, i prefere a colt...its mybe the only one (LE-6920) thats govnt spec;s....most are not..sure FNH made them for the govnt but im not seeing theres being sold in the civilian world..its just my prefference im willing to scrape up the $ for.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #15

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

FN makes the M16 and their govt contract doesn't permit them to sell a civilian AR. Colt makes the M4 and their 6920 is about as close as most of us can get to a real M4.

Colt is a known name. You have a pretty good idea what you're getting when you buy Colt. And you should be able to sell it for more than a "me too" knockoff.

When I wanted a 45ACP I bought Colt. That was 1976. I drove hundreds of thousands of miles all over Arizona and carried it along. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds through it but a lot. Most of the time I was alone and it was my best friend and bodyguard. Got me out of a few scrapes too. Over the years it's had a trigger job and a few recoil springs but no repairs have been needed. I still have that Colt and it still functions fine. I suspect a Colt AR would perform just as well and just as long.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-10-2012 at 11:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes colt is good but they are all Hype, look into BCM, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense, LaRue Tactical, LMT and Noveske

Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #17

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Handle a few. Check out the fit and finish. And if you can, shoot several.

If you do this, you'll get a Colt.

I've never known anyone that bought any AR-15 for so-called "bragging rights."

I bought Colts for quality.
Roger on that!! I bought three Colts, one in each caliber back in 1992, and one lower. A2 HBARs and they still shoot like new. Of course I have always done the PMs as necessary. They are not even "Black", they are the grayish military powder color. Paid $677.00 for all three including the lower. If Colts quality is as good as it was in 1992, then I would go with Colt. Of course Wyndham would be my second pick.

Pray for Our Military Men and Women

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittTactical556 View Post
Yes colt is good but they are all Hype...
Why do you say that?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Why do you say that?
I love colt as much as the next guy, but if you want a quality mil-spec rifle and are on a budget, go with a BCM or Spikes Tactical. I've also heard LMT is better then colt but again it's a budget thing.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittTactical556 View Post
I love colt as much as the next guy, but if you want a quality mil-spec rifle and are on a budget, go with a BCM or Spikes Tactical. I've also heard LMT is better then colt but again it's a budget thing.
You do know you can buy a Colt for about the same price as BCM? In fact many of us can walk in our local Walmart and get a 6920 for a little over a thousand. And that's not hype.

LMT is good but you'll have to do better than just say you've heard it's better than Colt. Also LMT often costs more than Colt or BCM.

Spikes is quite good but as a serious duty rifle falls short of Colt and BCM. Also, I've only handled a Spikes but suspect PSA gives you a better rifle for less money. That's not saying there's anything wrong with Spikes but it isn't a Colt.

______

PrimePorkchop Likes This