Why a Colt?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why a Colt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Why a Colt?

I see a lot of people on this forum that say buy a Colt. Why a Colt? What makes them so much better than all the other AR manufacturers?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #2

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Honestly their not. There are so many companies out there that make such a good AR that at this point it's only bragging rights to own a Colt now. Personally I would rather own a LMT over a Colt.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I can talk from experiance on this. I patroled and carried a Colt while in the service. Alway worked never failed. I got out and looked at the AR-15 market and did tons of research. Also went and tried many out. After all this I went back to Colt. The civillian model is the same as the one issued except a different sear and bolt carrier ( so it is only semi auto and not burst or full auto). With that said I put down the change and bought the Colt. Sure I could have saved money some place else. But whenever I shot them or handled them, the other brands felt odd. I have had my Colt now for a few years and still love it. It has yet to have any type of malfunction.

In other words if you want a Ferrari you do not buy a Pontiac fiaro. You want a true AR-15 you buy a Colt or a Armalite.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

In addition to what I said, that is just my opinion. There are many other fantastic AR's out there. Also there are many that are better. But fo one that is as close to what is carried and tested everyday everywhere then it is Colt. But you can always go custom ( Big money ) like a LaRue tactical or LesBaur or LMT. Just try them out and buy what you like. Thats what I did and I am happy. It makes me happy that we live in a country that allows such choices!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I can talk from experiance on this. I patroled and carried a Colt while in the service. Alway worked never failed. I got out and looked at the AR-15 market and did tons of research. Also went and tried many out. After all this I went back to Colt. The civillian model is the same as the one issued except a different sear and bolt carrier ( so it is only semi auto and not burst or full auto). With that said I put down the change and bought the Colt. Sure I could have saved money some place else. But whenever I shot them or handled them, the other brands felt odd. I have had my Colt now for a few years and still love it. It has yet to have any type of malfunction.

In other words if you want a Ferrari you do not buy a Pontiac fiaro. You want a true AR-15 you buy a Colt or a Armalite.
I own a Colt upper on a LRB lower and both are top notch pieces , I also own many other Black Rifles I can honestly say besides the 2 different styles of grips I use there is nothing odd about how they feel . Maybe you got ahold of a carbon 15 or something which do have a cheap feel but most of my stuff is within ounces of each other in weight unless they have optics on them .
Call it what you will but a quality made black rifle is just another black rifles with a different name on the side

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #6

Liked 4146 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I don't like the Colt grip, but that's my only gripe. Besides, I changed it out for like 30 bucks.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

This topic is being well covered in another thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/really-worth-buying-colt-ar15-77489/

Honestly, there are other brands out there that will shoot a lot of rounds reliably for less than Colt, and there are more expensive brands that are better than Colt (one made of titanium is going for 50 grand). It is up to the shooter and his/her budget as to what they buy. One factor simply from the name recognition is that Colts as a rule have value retention better than 90% of the AR's out there, regardless of the price. Keep it long enough and in good condition, and you may even get more than you paid for it should you sell it. During the Klinton gun ban, pre-ban Colts were going for upwards of 1500 bucks a pop in my neck of the woods. 'Nuff said.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
In addition to what I said, that is just my opinion. There are many other fantastic AR's out there. Also there are many that are better. But fo one that is as close to what is carried and tested everyday everywhere then it is Colt. But you can always go custom ( Big money ) like a LaRue tactical or LesBaur or LMT. Just try them out and buy what you like. Thats what I did and I am happy. It makes me happy that we live in a country that allows such choices!
Hopefully, Obummer wont change that!

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member
People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Handle a few. Check out the fit and finish. And if you can, shoot several.

If you do this, you'll get a Colt.

I've never known anyone that bought any AR-15 for so-called "bragging rights."

I bought Colts for quality.

Winston Churchill
colmustard Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Colts are way over priced, but what gun isnt...

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E