Why build your own AR? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why build your own AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

I'm a cross breed. Since I Have NO patience and the worlds most impulsive buyer, I was at my local gun store looking at all the parts and different configs...basically just doing my homework/due diligence, when <insert the opening lines of "Dream Weaver"> a customized Colt CR6724 jumped off the wall and in to the hollow of my shoulder like it belonged there. Nice scope, Magpul PRS stock, tons of extras, and that nice long stainless bbl. A real tack driver with everything I wanted. Big sale at the store so the owner threw in some ammo AND after I said he took away the fun of building my own, offered a freebee FFL on my stripped lower that I ordered as soon as I got home (Palmetto State Armory, thanks to you guys)

So, I sweat out the three day cooling off period, get to go shooting next weekend and get to start building my lighter, more tactical AR at the same time. Best of both worlds!

Pics to come!
Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, there have been many valid points made here, and i will throw in my 2 cents worth on the matter. i bought my first (bushmaster m4a2 carbine) my next one will be built, not sure as to the maker of parts yet, but i do know the caliber (6.8 spc rem.) i agree that you can build a ar for less than the price of one off the shelf, bare bones and not a lot of frills though. i believe that if you shop carefully and maybe catch a few parts on sale and take your time, and buy quality parts, you can have a very reliable, and custom rifle for less than one off the shelf. another option is buying one used in decent shape for a decent price and customizing it to suit you, sights, grips, stock, ect. ect. also by building of customizing it yourself, you gain a lot of knowledge into the inner workings of your rifle.

Newest Threads