Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > why build when u can buy complete?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default why build when u can buy complete?

Guys I'm very new to AR and am wondering why I would build one instead of just buying a complete set up....

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Depending on what you are buying, there is about $100-200 to be saved by assembling your own rifle, plus you get to pick the individual components that go into your rifle. Unless you are a very experienced AR person or are willing to do a very large amount of research, picking your own components can be problematic though. While the AR-15 is a modular weapon system, not all components will work well with each other.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A good way to start and what quite a few AR owners have done is order a complete upper from one place and then order a stripped lower, a lower parts kit (lpk), and a stock assembly from other places. You assemble the lower, (not difficult), then attach it to the upper. You gain the knowledge of how the lower goes together and how it works, and you save the 11% federal excise tax imposed on a complete weapon.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've found building your my own doesn't save much money and often costs me more. My preference is to order the upper and assemble the lower myself w/ the trigger I want. Like Car54 said it saves the 11% tax.

The only set back to assembling my own lower is my staking isn't as good as the factory can do it and I don't have a torque wrench to make sure the rear castle nut is correctly tightened.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

What is "staking" ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's basicly forcing metal into/over metal on two seperate parts to keep them from loosening and backing out.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You can buy a PSA or a SW m&p15 sport for under 600 dollars . Both have great warrenty service if needed. Some mix and match parts gun may not. Both of these will serve the needs of 99% of owners of AR's. Don't the road you can then upgrade . Think of them as a centerfire ruger 10/22.