Why Build? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why Build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
FYI...Walt Kuleck is a SM on the forum...
I know. I read his books before I even knew that and he seems like one heck of a guy.

His books are older and contributed greatly to the advancement of the AR-15 being built from home.

I'll say it again. . . .

READ A BOOK!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #22

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

I'll take Walt Kuleck over Patrick Sweeney any day - very well written books that I've seen. On the other hand, Sweeney's two AR books and his AK book are the worst examples of proofreading I've ever seen. Misspellings, poor English and a huge lack of attention to detail. I have a hard time placing any credence in what he writes due to his lack of pride in his work. Besides, the guy pumps out books left and right full of glowing reviews of his suppliers. Have you ever seen any criticism in his writing.

And to top it off, that second AR book I think, the table of contents page numbers are 20-30 off from where the chapters really are - and in his books his pictures are 20-30 pages separated from the relevant text. What a mess. I realize he just turns in the manuscripts but if the publisher isn't going to proofread I'd sure do it.

On the positive side, he does have some experience and there are a lot of good pictures. His writing style is kinda like hanging out BSing with a scatterbrained buddy over beer. Not altogether unpleasant but you've got to put up with a lot of crap to find a gem or two.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'll take Walt Kuleck over Patrick Sweeney any day - very well written books that I've seen. On the other hand, Sweeney's two AR books and his AK book are the worst examples of proofreading I've ever seen. Misspellings, poor English and a huge lack of attention to detail. I have a hard time placing any credence in what he writes due to his lack of pride in his work. Besides, the guy pumps out books left and right full of glowing reviews of his suppliers. Have you ever seen any criticism in his writing.
That's why I listed both sets. In his defense Sweeny doesn't intend for his books to be perfect in grammar, and proper "use of the English Language." He is trying to give the impression that he's a regular guy that shares the same love for firearms that we (his readers) do.

Placing credence in what he writes should be given due to his decades (coming up on half a century) of experience in gunsmithing, shooting and law enforcement training, not based on his writing.

Hell, I can't use CAD to make up a set of blueprints, complete with details, specs and schedules, but I sure the hell can read a set and build you a building according to what you want and how long you want it to be there.

No he doesn't criticize in his writing, but not many gun authors do and Sweeny usually tests nothing but he best equipment, especially in ARs and AKs.

If you know of a more informative, illustrated book written by a more experienced author, I be glad to know where to find it and I'd buy a copy for myself and several shooters/family members as well.

The man knows his stuff and his illustrations are better than any other writer. . . PERIOD.

Quote:
On the positive side, he does have some??? experience and there are a lot of good pictures. His writing style is kinda like hanging out BSing with a scatterbrained buddy over beer. Not altogether unpleasant but you've got to put up with a lot of crap to find a gem or two.
I also like Walt's books over Sweeny's, because they are from a neutral perspective with only Colt used as a reference, but if you read the Sweeny collection casually (as it was intended), then you will find more than a "few gems".

Quentin, I'm not questioning your taste in gun books, but not everyone wants to read a properly, monotonically written, book on ARs, many people like to feel like they're BSing with a buddy while learning about their hobby.

On the other hand, Walt's books are very dated and much of the content is no longer relative to today's gun world. But I enjoy the history that comes with his writing.

No matter the proofreading folks. . . If you want to leard about ARs, read Sweeny and Kuleuck's books.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #24

Diggs, I'm not attacking you, just Sweeney. He's a hack.

And if you're gonna write a book you take a little pride in it. I'm published in quite a few computer magazines and they wouldn't tolerate writing like his getting out in print. Someone would clean it up before that.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-20-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #25

I'm the kinda guy that seems to always F something up if I do it myself so I still to getting something that has a good rep. That and if something goes wrong with it you may have a manufacturer warranty to fall back on.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #26

when it comes to the weapon itself Ive built a few and Ive bought a few its all in the furniture when it costs a butt load any more i stick with one good lower and just build uppers for what i want to do than i have choices i personally like the stag lowers and i steer away from colt so that i can keep uniformity Ive built 4 uppers for my one lower and that way i can have a carbine a long gun and a precision rifle and a .22lr just to play with

Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot86 View Post
I'm the kinda guy that seems to always F something up if I do it myself so I still to getting something that has a good rep. That and if something goes wrong with it you may have a manufacturer warranty to fall back on.
I used to feel the same way about myself when working on automobiles, now I know the extent of my skills and can actually get quite a bit done when I start out with all the necessary tools, including knowledge, at least an overview.

If you go to Harbor Freight (or whatever your local crap tool store is) and buy a .99 cent set of punches and just start pulling up internet photos/instructions and go at it. . . you're gonna lose parts, make scratches and have a lot of frustration and probably get it done. . . eventually.

On the other (proper) side of the coin:

GET A BOOK!

Nobody does this, but if they did folks would save loads of time and money. Patrick Sweeny has three AR-15 books available that you will benefit from owning "The AR-15 Volumes I & II" and "Gunsmithing The AR-15".

If you don't like Sweeny (which some don't, but I find his writing easy to stick to and digest) or are just wish to spend less (and maybe get more) "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide" and "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" both by Walt Kuleck are $10 each and are ALL you need to complete your build, service your rifle, troubleshoot, etc.

Listen . . . I was apprehensive at first too, in fact I almost just ordered an accessorized rifle. Now I have several that I had a BLAST doing. TAKE IT SLOW! Maybe even just a step or two after work, then review your prior day's work and go for another step.

It's Well Worth It! I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy34 View Post
when it comes to the weapon itself Ive built a few and Ive bought a few its all in the furniture when it costs a butt load any more i stick with one good lower and just build uppers for what i want to do than i have choices i personally like the stag lowers and i steer away from colt so that i can keep uniformity Ive built 4 uppers for my one lower and that way i can have a carbine a long gun and a precision rifle and a .22lr just to play with
SEE FOLKS, everyone develops their own style of building and taste in products and manufactures. I don't touch Colt either (ewwww)

BUT! You can't get to this point of enjoyment unless you man up, realize that you're gonna get frustrated and lose parts, but that's how you learn and all part of the fun. I'm topping off a rifle that'll make a half-dozen. . . all different1, now I'm getting ready to move on to another rifle platform and I know there will be frustration also. THAT'S PART OF LEARNING!!!

P.S. You'll thank me (and the rest of us here) for:

(buying an extra spring kit and detent/roll pin set for $10 a piece and a few buffer retainers and springs)

Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Diggs, I'm not attacking you, just Sweeney. He's a hack.
I know Quentin, I never thought you were attacking me, just different opinions that's all. The guy can't write, I get it, but he's won more matches, repaired or altered more guns and shot more ammo than you, I and everyone here has even dreamed of. Experience counts for a lot in my book.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I know Quentin, I never thought you were attacking me, just different opinions that's all. The guy can't write, I get it, but he's won more matches, repaired or altered more guns and shot more ammo than you, I and everyone here has even dreamed of. Experience counts for a lot in my book.

BTW, Sweeney now has a volume 3 of the AR series - from what I hear all on piston ARs.

Still he says what he's paid to say. To me that makes him a hack. I've never seen him give advice nearly as good as what you can get here. Never seen him recommend building an AR like you did. Who's gonna pay him to say that!

I think what bothers me the most about him is the laziness. If somebody would take his three books of the AR and clean them up, update them then you might end up with two good volumes.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 03-22-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default ure he gets

Quote:
BTW, Sweeney now has a volume 3 of the AR series - from what I hear all on piston ARs.

Still he says what he's paid to say. To me that makes him a hack. I've never seen him give advice nearly as good as what you can get here. Never seen him recommend building an AR like you did. Who's gonna pay him to say that!

I think what bothers me the most about him is the laziness. If somebody would take his three books of the AR and clean them up, update them then you might end up with two good volumes.
Sweet, I'll buy a copy and let you know how it is.

I guess I like the maintianance tips/tricks, intros of little devices that aide in tedious tasks, and a broad spectrum of accessories available for your guns. Sure he gets paid to say good things about certain manufactures, but most of them are probably true. . . ? And even though we build our ARs, not buy complete chances are we are gonna use some of the stuff he endorses, eventually, it's inevitable.

Plus the pics are great! Sure I could go online and print a bunch of crap together, hole-punch it and throw it in a binder, but the $25 for it to be in front of me, with out taking up my time (usually from the family) is more than worthwhile.

I like Walt's books just as much, but everything is Colt and I'm NOT a Colt fan. They've turned their backs on American shooters every chance they've had and ARs are next. I'm sure Colt's presence in the book is mostly related to the time of original print, but almost ALL of the accessories are not available anymore or obsolete.

I'm NOT knocking Walt. The books are just old (and pretty fragile ).

Quentin, I know you're not the only Sweeny hater here and it's GREAT! Makes for good conversation. So what AR-15 books and authors (besides Walt) do you find to be the most helpful or just a good reference? What would you recommend that a new guy to the platform read before getting his (nervously shaking) hands dirty, for the prevention of loss and frustration?

Even though I'm past the frustrating, although fun and a large part of the experience, learning curve point, I respect your opinion and want to know what author you respect and hold to be true and unbiased in his subject matter???