Why build??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why build???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So just so I didn't miss something, other than picking parts, there is no real advantage at this point in time to the build, other than the joy of the build itself.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
So just so I didn't miss something, other than picking parts, there is no real advantage at this point in time to the build, other than the joy of the build itself.
I just type crap out for myself now, don't I?

No, the best reason is that the person learns the ins and outs of the weapon and can then diagnose and repair an issue, should one arise.

Then comes the choice of parts.

Then comes the best overall product from the money.

Then comes the satisfaction of doing it yourself....

JD

Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm intimately familiar with the platform, I just for the life of me couldn't figure out why a stripped lower was so freakin expensive, even now.
Not so. I bought mine from Superior Arms. Best price out there. A lower is a lower is a lower. It all depends what you want. Mine is mil spec as all others are, just don't carry the high price name. As you know, the assembly is childs play for mil folks. ..............markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Not to get OT but FWIW.
Thinkin of starting a build

Decent price for mil-spec lower?

SL-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings [SAR Stripped] - $89.95 : Spikes Tactical

Old 09-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #15

Dang! To me that's a great price for a lower! Best bet is to ask around, see what the folks who bought them are sayin' about em'. But at that price, heck I'd buy two .........markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thought price looked good- wanted to share the info
Spikes lower at 50% off. Reg price $179
Recently saw a good magazine review-lot of guys at ar-15.com love them, haven't seen any bad yet

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 09-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I'm not joking when I say we were required to keep it in the sleeping bag with us.

Break Free and an M203 tube is indistiguishable from the real thing.
You were issued a sleeping bag? You must have been in the Air Force..

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #18

you're absolutely right. Building your own is not for everyone. Personally, I'd rather buy one off the shelf, make some basic modifications if needed and just enjoy the sucker.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #19

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I'm glad I listened to the advice on here and assembled my own. It's nothing fancy now but I can always improve it down the road.

Funny, I don't remember getting the "zip lock bag" warning but figured out the need just before I got to that step. Only real headache I had was the trigger guard, still not happy with the way the roll pin finished. Definitely going to have to improve that.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Not to get OT but FWIW.
Thinkin of starting a build

Decent price for mil-spec lower?

SL-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings [SAR Stripped] - $89.95 : Spikes Tactical
Excellent price on that lower, thanks Gatekeeper.

BB - true, the prices for a complete gun right now (dropping daily), versus building one yourself, it's hard to justify building.

But one only has to read about all the crappy builds out there, regardless of brand, to make yourself want to build one yourself, if for nothing else, to at least guarantee that it will go bang. And for the newbies to the AR platform, or to those uninitiated to it, it offers the opportunity to understand what makes it work, how to put it together and take it apart, and to be able to customize or repair it in the future. You don't get that with an off the shelf gun.

For someone who doesn't have a butt load of money to spend at one time, it allows that person to buy the pieces when they can, hopefully on sale to save a little. Sure, they could just wait until they have saved up enough to do it all at one time, too.

Where I've found it hard to match up the $$'s, go buy a complete build, say you've spent $1300. Now, that could be a complete Colt LE6940 right now, give or take a few $$'s for background check, etc. But, after browsing the forums, you've found out that the latest Mall-Ninja free float tube is out, or the latest fashion color in Magpul UBR/CTR/PRS w/ matching MIAD grip is out, or the latest BUIS from whoever just came out, etc. Now, to keep up with all the latest in Tacticool, you would have to strip down your beloved Colt, hopefully be able to recoop some of the $$'s from the parts that came with it, and then fork out more $$'s to get all the new stuff. OR....you could have just been watching/reading about all the latest in gear from the SHOT show/forums/latest Tact Mags/etc. and saved the extra money, along with the money for all the base parts (receivers, barrels, parts kits, etc). and when the time was right, bought everything to make your ultimate weapon/tool, and still would have saved some $.

That is taking into account that if you would want to change/upgrade whatever weapon of choice you bought off the shelf, or leave it stock. Anyway, that's what the build or buy comes down to...in a nut shell.

Slo