Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Why build??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/why-build-18222/)

Benning Boy 09-18-2009 09:45 PM

Why build???

I must be missing something, but went to the local show, saw all the parts I needed to do a complete build, did the math, and saw complete Colt ARs cheaper.

What is the upside to a build???:confused:

Dillinger 09-18-2009 09:53 PM

Wasn't always the case. You used to be able to build an AR for less than $700, complete.

And you would have working knowledge of the platform. Something a lot of people don't have, and never care to acquire, because they just slap down their plastic and call it a day.

Then, if they have problems, they bitch and moan about the manufacturer instead of knowing what to do to fix the problem...

JD

NGIB 09-18-2009 09:56 PM

I'll be honest BB and admit I know sh1t about ARs even though I have one. Up until 3 months ago, all I had was a bunch of handguns and I figured an EBR made sense. I have quite a few soldier buddies that are seriously into the subject and here's what they told me about why build - you get exactly what you want and nothing you don't.

Makes sense; however, I didn't really know what I wanted as I'm a total newb with EBRs. I did ask what some essential features are and I found a rifle that met my needs and was reasonably cheap.

All I wanted was a flattop carbine with chrome lined barrel and close to real mil-spec - and that's what I got. Mines a Rock River upper on a C3 Defense billet lower with a Rock River parts kit and 6 position stock. I picked up a detachable carry handle/sight, optics (an ACOG) and a few Magpul Pmags...

markerdown 09-18-2009 10:19 PM

A while back you could assemble one the way you wanted with a number of vendors supplying parts cheaper. AUR weapons were costing a bit more and were "vanilla" compared to what you could add to customize yours. Then SHTF and prices went thru the roof.

I just completed my assembly. Found it cheaper to buy a complete kit from RRA then to buy all individual parts/pieces and pay shipping. I picked up a lower and did the assembly. Pricewise, it came out at $758, meh, a little less then what I could now buy a flattop for. But, with thr RRA stuff, I got what I wanted.

It all comes down to what you want and what you want to spend............markerdown

Benning Boy 09-18-2009 10:40 PM

I'm intimately familiar with the platform, I just for the life of me couldn't figure out why a stripped lower was so freakin expensive, even now.

dog2000tj 09-18-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 161821)
I'm intimately familiar with the platform

Yeah, unfortunately I've seen the video. :eek: Now I want to gouge out my brain. :p

Jo da Plumbr 09-19-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 161821)
I'm intimately familiar with the platform, I just for the life of me couldn't figure out why a stripped lower was so freakin expensive, even now.

I did my build because the effin state of CA has all the ARs on a ban list. But I can buy a lower from an off list manufacturer, like double star, and then build out with any parts I want. How stupid is that!!!

Benning Boy 09-19-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 161857)
Yeah, unfortunately I've seen the video. :eek: Now I want to gouge out my brain. :p

I'm not joking when I say we were required to keep it in the sleeping bag with us.

Break Free and an M203 tube is indistiguishable from the real thing.:D:eek:

spittinfire 09-19-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 161883)
I'm not joking when I say we were required to keep it in the sleeping bag with us.

Break Free and an M203 tube is indistiguishable from the real thing.:D:eek:

We kept them in our bags too. Did you name yours?

With prices and everything the way they are now the only reason I would build one is because I wanted to. I would have exactly what I wanted and I would have the satisfaction of putting it together myself.

Gus556 09-19-2009 02:10 AM

Why build?
It's like asking why build a big block Chevy......why build an off road machine....why build a faster car....why build the ultimate lawn mower.....why build, well....anything!
Because anybody can buy an AR. It means so much more when you can say, I BUILT this rifle. Sleeping with something allows you to know about it but building something lets you know ALL about it. You handled every single piece. At that point, you are one with your rifle. You are it's creator. It is a product of you.
I know when I have a super tight group at a few hundred meters, it is all me. I built the rifle, I assembled the ammunition, and I shot those rounds into the 10 ring or better. I guess it boils down to a matter of craftsmanship and pride.