Why AR??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why AR??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why AR??

I own several guns of differing calibers and hit the range 2 to 3 times a week but I have not owned an AR. I've noticed quite a selection now at my LGS/range as the hysteria dies down. They've not gouged on prices throughout this mess but were stock limited. Now ammo and firearms have returned. I started looking at various AR15s. I own n MP15-22 and am gravitating to the .223/5.56 S&W. One thing I'm seeing though that's dampening my spirits is that the price of .223 is pretty much double that of .45 and even more so over .40 or 9mm. Why are the AR15s so popular?? thx for any input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

whatever current military issue is, is popular. folks go intot he military learn to use it end up liking their issue firearms and want one when they get out. it translates into massive sales and popularity. a few decades ago it was all about the m1a and before that the garand and m1 carbine. before that the 1903 springfield was hot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
whatever current military issue is, is popular. folks go intot he military learn to use it end up liking their issue firearms and want one when they get out. it translates into massive sales and popularity. a few decades ago it was all about the m1a and before that the garand and m1 carbine. before that the 1903 springfield was hot.
Or if you're a military collector, you want all of them.

The AR?

1.-How about how easily you can pull the upper for

barrel and bolt cleaning?

2.-Others will be quick to point out adaptability and

the wide selection of available parts, mods, and

accessories.

3.-Inherent accuracy with iron sights, let alone with optics.

4.-Light weight makes it fast on target, for hunting.

Last edited by therewolf; 05-25-2013 at 01:32 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

many like the AR platform for it's versatility. many like the fact that it's one platform that anyone with limited mechanical skills can build at home with very few specialized tools. parts and accessories abound and a person can customize one to their individual tastes or needs.

chambering offerings have increased by leaps and bounds over the last several years. offerings for just about anything one would want to shoot.

plus the AR platform is just plain fun to shoot and tinker with!

Old 05-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

All of the above!!

It's personally not my favorite, not by a long shot, but I definitely see the value and attractiveness of it.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #6

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It is the state of the art of shooting. That doesn't mean there may not be more advanced. And take it from Axxe55 if he says people who are limited can manage 'em...

S&W's have the reputation for being amongst the best quality for the money going. They really stepped up to the plate and hit it outta the park when they decided to get into this game.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
It is the state of the art of shooting. That doesn't mean there may not be more advanced. And take it from Axxe55 if he says people who are limited can manage 'em...

S&W's have the reputation for being amongst the best quality for the money going. They really stepped up to the plate and hit it outta the park when they decided to get into this game.
Matty, you may be one of the few that might not be quite capable...........just sayin'.......................
Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16515

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock
And take it from Axxe55 if he says people who are limited can manage 'em...
image-1081421654.png  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
All of the above!!

It's personally not my favorite, not by a long shot, but I definitely see the value and attractiveness of it.
Hm, that may just be a pun (not by a long shot)...Anyhow, with 14K posts I respect your opinion. What IS your favorite?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Hm, that may just be a pun (not by a long shot)...Anyhow, with 14K posts I respect your opinion. What IS your favorite?
Lol, actually, that wasn't meant to be a pun! In my prime, I was able to hit 10 out of 10 at the 500 yard line with iron sights, so yeah, I could even make the long shots with it!

I don't really have a favorite, per se.

My favorite of the one's I've owned, my old p17 eddystone enfield that I had to sell to help finance my divorce. .30-06, Krieger barrel, Timney match trigger, that damn thing was a tack driver. Topped with a cheap BSA 3-9X50. WAY sub MOA groups at 100 yards, but never got a chance to stretch it out for groups beyond that. Popped a few milk jugs at 500 though.

Of the ones I've shot, it doesn't really qualify as a rifle, but the M249 SAW. There's just something about that nasty little bugger, and when you treat it right, it treats you right in return. It's like the right woman, it likes it when you get a little rough with it when it's time to rock and roll.

My dream gun at the moment? Oh damn. For practical purposes, the M1A Springfield. I've never even shot one, but the one time I held one, it was love at first sight/caress/fondle/molestation. Even the back side of the peep is serrated to cut glare. Fit like a glove. Can't wait until I get one.

On the list? AR, AK, SKS, Win M70 in .30-06, M1 Garand, SVT 40, Another MN 91/30 (also sold to help see me through my divorce), and a youth .22 bolt action, such as the cricket. Not all in that order, and not all for the reasons many people would think. The AR, for the purposes stated so far. AK because... well, who needs a reason for an AK? Same ammo as the SKS, and both are rugged designs. Win M70 and Garand, same ammo, one is an excellent deer rifle, the other is history. SVT 40 and MN 91/30 take the same ammo, the 91/30 is super cheap, the ammo is on par with with .30-06 and is also cheap as dirt (cheaper than .22 in some places right now), and the SVT 40 is the original semi auto that also fired that round (I believe), and is a not so easy to find semi collectible. Youth sized .22 bolt action? Just a damn well rounded gun to have around, cheap(ish) ammo, and good for kids to shoot.

Oh, just to be clear, my next long gun purchase (for myself) will be the M1A. Probably about a year from now.

Last edited by trip286; 05-25-2013 at 02:59 AM.