Why the AR?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Why the AR?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why the AR?

I have only had one AR, made by Stag arms. It seems overly complicated with loads of small parts, and the gas system allows the receiver to gunk up inside with powder. It's also a pain for me to strip fully (compared to the AK or SKS). Although it was a decent shooter, it was light and comfortable, and it has loads of options, it doesn't seem worth it to me to pay nearly $1000 for a modern AR with all of the disadvantages they have. Why not just invest in a cheaper mid-range carbine that shoots cheaper ammo, and get a deer rifle for shooting longer shots?

With this in mind, other than collecting, why do you like the AR? What would be your other options if you didn't chose the AR?
wcohio is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,881
Liked 1196 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Default

Hey maybe you've got something there. Why not tell the US Army!

Anyway, everyone should have an AR and AK.
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,235
Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

its a simple design with very few moving parts. all the working parts can easily be replaced by the operator without tools. the firing pin can serve as a punch.

the parts in a ar15 tend to be more robust than whats found in cheap ak47s.

its light weight accurate the rounds dont weigh much the gas system doesnt suffer from piston oprod seperation the way aks do.

gas in the reciever doesnt effect function. a couple of members here run their ar15s in intensive carbine classes and training without cleaning and no problems.

under sustained fire if the gas tube ruptures it will continue to fire like a bolt action by charging it for each shot.

short of beating the thing with a hammer it will shoot.

i dont find them hard to clean at all. wipe the bolt carrier down wip out the upper and your good to go in a basic field cleaning.

ive fired thousands of rounds of insanely dirty blank rounds in my issued m16 without stoppages.

anyway they are great guns if your not getting something like a carbon15
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tellmaster207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 524
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Readily available parts & ammo is really the only thing I like A LOT about the AR.
And you got to like porning up your AR.
I take my time & buy accessories used or on close out. As far as cleaning goes I'm kind of a cleaning nut anyway. With all that being said an AR is not my favorite rifle to shoot or hunt with by any means.

I probably like the .223 round more than a lot of people but I prefer a Mini & Tikka T3 for the platform.
tellmaster207 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I like the AR platform because it's one of the weapons I've trained with. Familiarity counts for something you know. That being said, I don't own one, but that's only because I don't have much disposable income. If do get some good amount of money in my pocket and I finally get a 1911, I'll end up getting an AR. I like S&W M&P rifles, I've fondled (yes fondled, I don't often simply handle a firearm) many different models, and it's just the one that I feel like I like the most.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tellmaster207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 524
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I like the AR platform because it's one of the weapons I've trained with. Familiarity counts for something you know. That being said, I don't own one, but that's only because I don't have much disposable income. If do get some good amount of money in my pocket and I finally get a 1911, I'll end up getting an AR. I like S&W M&P rifles, I've fondled (yes fondled, I don't often simply handle a firearm) many different models, and it's just the one that I feel like I like the most.
I built my first AR. Took along time, but I did it on the cheap. I bought a part here & there mostly from gun shows, classified adds & take offs. Probably averaged like 10 bucks a week. It wasn't pretty but shot the same as everybody's.
tellmaster207 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
I built my first AR. Took along time, but I did it on the cheap. I bought a part here & there mostly from gun shows, classified adds & take offs. Probably averaged like 10 bucks a week. It wasn't pretty but shot the same as everybody's.
Really I think I would kind of like a frankenstein gun. Kind of like a rat rod bike, spare parts build kind of look. I'm gonna put some thought into doing it like that. But I would purposely have some strange looking mismatched stuff. Like my M16A2 in boot camp, the lower looked like it had been dipped in acid with the finish being cloudy and hazed, while the upper looked almost brand new.

I might would even throw a little duct tape on one just for the heck of it.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Filthy 14.

Didn't we just have a thread like this a couple days ago?

I think something is in the air. I've been kinda grumpy myself lately.

Don't buy a POS and you won't have anything to wory about.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,453
Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio View Post
I have only had one AR, made by Stag arms. It seems overly complicated with loads of small parts, and the gas system allows the receiver to gunk up inside with powder. It's also a pain for me to strip fully (compared to the AK or SKS). Although it was a decent shooter, it was light and comfortable, and it has loads of options, it doesn't seem worth it to me to pay nearly $1000 for a modern AR with all of the disadvantages they have. Why not just invest in a cheaper mid-range carbine that shoots cheaper ammo, and get a deer rifle for shooting longer shots?

With this in mind, other than collecting, why do you like the AR? What would be your other options if you didn't chose the AR?
Well why not get a gun that's the best of both worlds. You wanna go into a gunfight carring two rifles?
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I wouldn't call the AR the best of both worlds, unless it were a bullpup and had a cleaner gas system and looser tolerances.
wcohio is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads