Why is it ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Why is it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Try owning a Taurus.
lmao, right, i love my PT940

Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #12

About 4 years ago, I was a dumber than I am now 18 year old kid, wanted an AR something fierce, went down to the LGS with very little knowledge on ARs, plunked down my 1k and walked out with an Oly Arms 20" A2, I think the model was KB4 or something along those lines. Knowing what I now know of the platform, and after handling and shooting other rifles, I have to say that it was a great rifle. Loved it back then and I still wish I hadn't sold it.

The upper to lower fit was tighter than, well, something that's really tight. Shot straight, never had a malfunction of any kind. I actually shot side by side with a buddy who has a Mid 90s Colt in the exact same configuration and it shot every bit as good as his did, and my rifle cost about much less than his had.

Now keep in mind, the only reason it was so expensive back then because that was immediately PBE (post-Obama elections), so prices were through the roof, but for what they go for now, if the quality is still what it was four years ago, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better AR-15 in that price range, which is mostly between $580-$780, with a couple in the $900s. I would buy another and would recommend them to my friends with no qualms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It's a good, stable product that is cross compatible with every platform that isn't the large pin Colt.

JD
On a completely unrelated note, a guy at a LGS said Colt is no longer using the larger hammer and trigger pins. Does anyone know this to be fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Are you saying that Kimber makes a so so product?
Quote:
Kimber has excellent models and sub par models, all that come with the Kimber name and price.

JD
The Kimber price is what gets me. I have a good friend at work, and he and his uncle are both Kimber fanboys. My friend has a Ultra Carry, his uncle had a Raptor Ultra and now has a Ultra Super Carry. I've shot all three and all I had to say after shooting them was, "meh". At any gun store around here, I can pick up a Loaded Springfield 1911 for less than a Kimber Custom II (Kimber's base model for those who don't know), and in my opinion, the Springer is MUCH nicer.

I won't say that Kimber makes a so-so product, but what I will say is that in my opinion, they make a so-so product for the price. If all the models were dropped about $150, then we'd be talking.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Colt is no longer using the larger pin configuration.

The .171/.172" proprietary pin was another of Colt's great ideas to set them a part from the rest of the market. You want a Colt Upper, you have to buy a Colt lower, or later on, drill the lower for Colt size pins.

Guess how long it took the Colt folks recognize anyone with a Level 1 drill skill set could drill another lower to fit a Colt upper.

Surprise! Colts now come with the more industry standard .154" configuration.

JD

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
I kind of doubt that knowing Jon as I have over the years.

He is pointing to the very well documented drop off in quality between the years of the "Kimber 1" and the later "Kimber II" editions.

Kimber exploded on the scene, grew too big, too fast and had massive quality control issues. That plagued them for a few years as well. There are those that will claim it still does, but Kimber did own up to some of their problems and incorporated a much higher QC policy.

Kimber has excellent models and sub par models, all that come with the Kimber name and price.

JD
yes that was my point. im not always the most capable typer. sometimes the thought doesnt fully hit the keyboard nd just bounces off into a corner

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Colt is no longer using the larger pin configuration.

The .171/.172" proprietary pin was another of Colt's great ideas to set them a part from the rest of the market. You want a Colt Upper, you have to buy a Colt lower, or later on, drill the lower for Colt size pins.

Guess how long it took the Colt folks recognize anyone with a Level 1 drill skill set could drill another lower to fit a Colt upper.

Surprise! Colts now come with the more industry standard .154" configuration.

JD
That's good to hear. They make some really nice rifles, but I just can't justify spending another $200 over a lot of other really good brands for the exact same thing.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #16

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I can see where some of the bad rap came from now. But like I said, it has gone bang everytime I have pulled the trigger so I have no complaints about the gun. Thanks again.

ex U.S.Navy Submariner 1985-1989
USS Sturgeon SSN 637

Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Try owning a Taurus.
I stressed a little about the stigma of the Taurus brand when I bought an 85C....many years ago now. It is a DA only, snub-nose .38 Special-5 shot, small frame, bobbed hammer, ramp front sight...and with the Uncle Mikes Boot Grips on it I can drop it in my jeans pocket and it will not print.

The trigger is a little stagey but I can always tell exactly when it is going to break.

I don't reckon the jittery twitching, darting lizard eyed, desert zombie..... who was trying to do a very bad to my wife and I, waaaay out in the desert while we were hiking in Joshua Tree about 14-15 years ago...... was curious about the make of that handgun, when I showed it to him and pointed it in his general direction. Or the model number and caliber for that matter. All he cared about was the nice presentation I made as I pulled it from my fanny pack, holding it sideways just for a second, for him to see the fine profile it has, before showing him the business end of the barrel.

The fact that he stopped his fast advance on us dead in his tracks and that his dark brown, sun beaten, once white, leathery skin turned almost completely white again as the blood drained out of his face....was enough to let me know he got the message. Had he asked, I would have told him about the Black Talon +P it was loaded with at the time.

He didn't...not a word was said by anyone and he left lickety split.

I'm glad I did not have to pull the trigger on him but I would have. That little snubby that has the Taurus name some people frown down on, saved our bacon out there that day I reckon, and so does my wife. It also earned the new name of Big Bertha.....a title she holds to this day.

Don't stress on your firearm's brand name if it shoots straight, eats anything you feed it and does not need a lot of tweaking.......at the end of the day, who cares what the brand name is? People who ask you are just wanting you to ask them about their piece anyway so they can boast. If the name embarrasses you, just say it is a build of different parts and move directly to ask them about theirs. Give their feelings a short massage and be on your way.

When the SHTF, it won't matter if you have a boutique rifle build, or a bottom shelf non-big name brand, as long as what you have is reliable and is fairly accurate.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had a long conversation w/ an Oly rep and left w/ the same opinion that I went in w/. They seem shady and from my experience there is always a reason behind that especially when it comes to a for profit organization.

I was interested in one of their pistol cal ARs but no longer am.

They charge BCM/Spikes prices but offer much less quality.

For my requirements purchasing an Oly doesn't make sense.

Add to that the AARs given by guys after finishing a carbine course in which an Oly/DPMS/BM etc. rifle had been involved and the picture becomes even clearer.

I owned a couple Kimbers, both of which served me very well. However for the price I paid I shouldn't have thoughts of reliability issues lingering in the back of my mind. They are now both gone and have been replaced w/ a couple 5" M&Ps.

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-03-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I owned a couple Kimbers, both of which served me very well. However for the price I paid I shouldn't have thoughts of reliability issues lingering in the back of my mind. They are now both gone and have been replaced w/ a couple 5" M&Ps.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you like the M&Ps? I've been thinking about picking up a 9mm in 4". I've shot XD/m's, Glocks and now I wanna pick up a M&P to see which of the three I like best. I really like the way the M&P fits my hand, I just need to find one without the mag disconnect.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you like the M&Ps? I've been thinking about picking up a 9mm in 4". I've shot XD/m's, Glocks and now I wanna pick up a M&P to see which of the three I like best. I really like the way the M&P fits my hand, I just need to find one without the mag disconnect.

-Fred
I'll PM you.