Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Who'd like to opine on a .260 Rem AR-10 Project?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
There just isn't a medium to long range round in the AR-15 class that I could recommend for bkt, and as I did some more research I realized I didn't have a project for next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The truth comes out!!
Well, you kind of picked and chose what you wanted to quote there.

JD

Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, you kind of picked and chose what you wanted to quote there.

JD
Isn't that what we do around here?

I agree about the 260 over 308. I will definately watch your build as I would like to build one myself in the future.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #23

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I came across this while doing preliminary research a couple months ago.

Custom AR10 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing AR 10

I intend to stick with the AR10 platform and stay with the .308W but was looking more at a 20" barreled rifle - possibly suppressed. I have been eyeballing a couple of billet receiver sets but i just can't afford the expense of another custom rifle at the moment.

I sure hope you take this one - I love cherry picking from somebody else's research

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #24

I talked to the mad scientist today. My gunsmith Brett has a wealth of knowledge gleaned over a 45 year history of small arms ( he grew up in a gunshop ) and we talked SHTF Battle Field Changer.

.260 is the round of choice this time around because of it's across the course accuracy and ability to flat drop animals of all sizes.

Looks like DPMS is in the lead at the moment because of the problems with lower compatbility issues in the lower vs. upper and the ability to get an upper chambered in .260 versus having one built in the shop.

And right now, *drum roll*, the barrel length of choice is going to be 20" or 22". The long, heavy barrel trade off versus the portability and the ability to still group rounds on target is a trade off that can be scientifically addressed and this barrel length has very, VERY good numbers.

I am meeting with Brett on Friday for lunch, so we are going to discuss some options and possibilities.

More to follow.

JD

Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Some more reading material that may or may not be helpful...some nice pics as a bonus, enjoy.

NJ Hipower Rifle

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #26

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Would you mind elaborating why DPMS is in the lead? I was looking around at some billet sets so i am wondering what specific reason set DPMS apart.

Thanks

I was looking at these,

JD Machine .308 Billet AR-10 Receiver Matched Set (Stripped)

SI Defense .308/7.62 Billet Matched Set

The Premier Class II & III Gunsmith for LEO and Civilians - Transfers, Machining and Coating - IRA-X Stripped Receivers

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know they are pricey. But hay, it's only money ...

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Would you mind elaborating why DPMS is in the lead? I was looking around at some billet sets so i am wondering what specific reason set DPMS apart.

Thanks
First off, you have great taste. I will do some more reading on those when time permits. Thanks for the links.

If you take a look at those links, you will see that they are all offering one of two models. Either a DPMS Compatible model, or an Armalite Compatible model.

That is the problem with the AR-10 platform at this time. You can't mix and match uppers and lowers as easily. There are two, slightly different, proprietary platforms that you have to contend with. In a way, this is much like the first AR-15's started hitting the market and you had the Colt large pin, or the "other" guys.

You don't need a billet lower. Yes, it's a nice feature, but it's really just a nice feature and not going to aid in your accuracy.

The upper is far more important since that is where all the important stuff is going to happen. It supports the barrel, it handles the BCG, etc.

DPMS is in the lead because it's one or the other and they are offering a .260 in the configuration I am looking for based on a lot of reading thus far.

More to follow.....

Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does DPMS offer their upper in a 6.5 Creedmore? It's the same exact bullet as a .260 Rem, evel loaded to the same OAL as long as you are loading a 108 to 123gr. bullet. It's just that the case is a little redesigned for a bit more powder capacity. It should be really easy to find Hornady brass for too. You might want to look into that a bit J.D. Maybe compare some ballistics and see if one has an advantage over the other.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #29

Funny that you mention the 6.5 Creedmoor. I started to build one last year, but stopped when I realized I had bought an AR-15 lower and couldn't get the Creedmoor to fit. I was going to build a Grendel instead, but opted against that for reloading reasons.

Here are some stats that I have borrowed from the most excellent guys at demigodllc.com ( thanks to their mod for giving me a quick thumbs up )

Now these are from boltguns with 26" barrels, customs at that and in the hands of truly great shooters, but it gives you idea of the very limited differences in the rounds. The .260 is just a little flatter, just a little tighter and hits just a little lighter, but it has factory premium ammo available right off the shelf.

.260-vs.-6.5.jpg  

Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The proof is in the pudding right there. I guess the smaller case size is translating into faster speeds at long range. .260 Rem may be the way to go. I will keep that in mind for the future.