Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Who'd like to opine on a .260 Rem AR-10 Project?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Who'd like to opine on a .260 Rem AR-10 Project?

While shaking a fist at bkt for getting me started on research I didn't need to be doing.... LOL

I started doing some reading on the AR-10 platform again, because I had planned to build a lower and buy a Larue Upper for it next year in .308, I started reading about the .260 Remington cartridge. BIG MISTAKE!!

So now I am thinking about building an AR-10 in .260 for the very nice long range ballistics. There is quality ammo available from a couple of manufacturers for off the shelf capabilities and then I can get set up for reloading later on.

I am thinking Magpul PRS, fully adjustable stock, or going custom if pull length isn't capable. Flat top upper with a machined in rail to get me 20MOA off the gun and then adding a good quality piece of glass in some Badger Ord mounts. (2) Rail fore end, free floated with a sled for a bipod attachment. 20" or 22" barrel. Hmmmm.

DPMS Upper or if LaRue comes back with good info on the future of their OBR line to include some wildcat cartridges perhaps going with them....

Custom lower, something with my own personal flair.....

*pondering, pondering*

Anyone got an opinion other than "Yeah, do it" or "That sucks" ??

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do it, cuz I wanna see range reports! You'll like the PRS stock too. The stock for the AR10 is 10mm longer than the AR15 stock, which will allow you to use the charging handle if you have the cheek piece adjusted up, plus you get the extra pull length if you are a taller guy. The two stocks are interchangeable between the two weapons as well. Just a tidbit of info for anyone out there. Stay away from the AR15 variant of the PRS.

Why not a 24" barrel though? I think Remington makes an upper for .260Rem. and a complete rifle as well, but I forget what they call it.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What kind of mounts did you say?

badgers - Weebl's Stuff

My scrawny nephew likes his .260 boltgun. Midwayusa had some variety of ammo available.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep hearing such great things about the .260 Rem that I am seriously considering looking at it myself for a fun long-range setup.

However, I know that factory ammo is hard to find. I can't remember, JD....do you handload?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just get a bolt action upper for an AR10 lower in 6.5 Creedmore and call it a day J.D.! That would make you the envy of everyone at the range, no doubt. I think DPMS makes one if I'm not mistaken.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

badgers - Weebl's Stuff
I worry about you 'gello. I really do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I keep hearing such great things about the .260 Rem that I am seriously considering looking at it myself for a fun long-range setup.

However, I know that factory ammo is hard to find. I can't remember, JD....do you handload?
Federal makes their premium line in several weights, Fusion has several weights and I believe Remington themselves have serveral weights. The guys over at Snipercentral have a deal they are working with another maker in the same caliber for customer long range applications as well according to my recent search.

I have a very nice, one operation at a time set up that is used for loading custom long range rounds in a couple of categories, so I definitely can reload should the need arise. To start I would probably buy some quality brass and figure out what she likes, then load from there for a stockpile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Just get a bolt action upper for an AR10 lower in 6.5 Creedmore and call it a day J.D.! That would make you the envy of everyone at the range, no doubt. I think DPMS makes one if I'm not mistaken.
Negative. I have an ultra long range boltgun already and it's off the sheld for ammo, so I am covered there. I want something that is a true 800 yard semi to have. You know, just in case.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

badgers - Weebl's Stuff

My scrawny nephew likes his .260 boltgun. Midwayusa had some variety of ammo available.
Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I say again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want a long range semi, save the money and build an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. Just an idea...AR10's are crazy high priced because only a few manufacturers have the entire market cornered.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I have a very nice, one operation at a time set up that is used for loading custom long range rounds in a couple of categories, so I definitely can reload should the need arise. To start I would probably buy some quality brass and figure out what she likes, then load from there for a stockpile.

I can say that, in the short time I've been handloading, I would MUCH rather play with my own recipes to get the best performance from each of my rifles. I doubt that any of the factory loads could touch what you could crank out yourself for your rifle. But, then, you know that!