Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Develop a "better" AR... "build a better mouse trap" and you can patten that.

A few years ago on "I think" Future Weapons... They showcased a new M4. It was select fire but what made it unique was that when flipped to "auto" the bolt stayed to the rear between trigger pulls keeping the chamber open and facilitating quicker cooling of the barrel. Flipping the selector back to semi disengaged this feature for "closed bolt" accuracy.

Pretty sure that guy has a patten.

Tack
The weapon you are referring to was built by LWRC. The open bolt was to prevent cookoffs from an overheated barrel. Pretty cool. If I had enough to buy an NFA full auto, I would see if I could get a competent gunsmith to manufacture a fcg that would do that.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #12

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
The weapon you are referring to was built by LWRC. The open bolt was to prevent cookoffs from an overheated barrel. Pretty cool. If I had enough to buy an NFA full auto, I would see if I could get a competent gunsmith to manufacture a fcg that would do that.
I thought is was a slick idea, especially for Infantry troops patrolling urban streets. Anyone looking to set a ambush will target the radioman first, then the heaviest weapon which is currently either the M249 or the M240, both belt fed and easily identified.

This system has some appeal because it makes it tough to distinguish between a riefleman and an automatic rifleman... But your still sacrificing a lot of fire power compared to tue SAW for that anonymity. I don't really see the service adopting it large scale, SOCOM maybee but not front line troops.

Tack

Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #13

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I think the concept was good for the units that didn't have a need for a dedicated machine gun, and had to remain relatively mobile. It would be also good to have for a combat support hospital, as they are barred from the Geneva Convention from having machine guns per se, but are allowed assault rifles for self defense, and come under heavier enemy fire than expected.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #14

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Full auto, hmmm. Hold trigger back, magazine empties as you smile, BHO locks bolt back. Slam in full mag, repeat if needed. Problem solved!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Patents are a funny thing. Take DuPont for example. They've owned the patents to just about every refrigerant used in AC systems, and when the patent expires there's always a study that comes out shortly thereafter showing how the recently expired patented gas is bad for the environment, thus forcing everyone to change to a new gas, which is convienently yet again a patent owned by DuPont.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #16

Liked 4718 Times on 2693 Posts
Likes Given: 3735

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Patents are a funny thing. Take DuPont for example. They've owned the patents to just about every refrigerant used in AC systems, and when the patent expires there's always a study that comes out shortly thereafter showing how the recently expired patented gas is bad for the environment, thus forcing everyone to change to a new gas, which is convienently yet again a patent owned by DuPont.

Sounds like they have an excellent business model figured out

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Sounds like they have an excellent business model figured out
You got that right. Except that's not a business model, it's a racket.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Develop a "better" AR... "build a better mouse trap" and you can patten that.

A few years ago on "I think" Future Weapons... They showcased a new M4. It was select fire but what made it unique was that when flipped to "auto" the bolt stayed to the rear between trigger pulls keeping the chamber open and facilitating quicker cooling of the barrel. Flipping the selector back to semi disengaged this feature for "closed bolt" accuracy.

Pretty sure that guy has a patten.

Tack
Most likely doesn;t have the whole rifle patented, just the bits and pieces that are unique.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

As far as patents go you might get the designed passed by an agent at the patent office as they aren't always that smart. However, you would most likely never see a cent from your re-patent as there is prior art. So you would lose money on lawyer fees for an inevitable loss.