Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Default Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform?

Like the title says who owns those patents?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

no one anymore. what is owned are the copyrights to various names like m16 ar15 m4 etc.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
no one anymore. what is owned are the copyrights to various names like m16 ar15 m4 etc.
Thank you Jon for your answer.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2420 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

And of the older copyrights. Many have been allowed to expire or challenged in the courts. I know a few years ago Bushmaster was challenged in the court by Colt for using the (M-4) designation. It cost Bushmaster a ton of money in courts but they won and freed the M-4 Designation for others to use if they choose. Colt also tried other companies for using terms like the words Government, Elite, Commando and others! Which they also have lost on many of those issues as well.
And JonM is on the money! The patents on the AR-15 and other weapons has long expired!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
And of the older copyrights. Many have been allowed to expire or challenged in the courts. I know a few years ago Bushmaster was challenged in the court by Colt for using the (M-4) designation. It cost Bushmaster a ton of money in courts but they won and freed the M-4 Designation for others to use if they choose. Colt also tried other companies for using terms like the words Government, Elite, Commando and others! Which they also have lost on many of those issues as well.
And JonM is on the money! The patents on the AR-15 and other weapons has long expired!
Soooo......you saying I could make me some money by reinstating that patent under my name since its technically nameless?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Soooo......you saying I could make me some money by reinstating that patent under my name since its technically nameless?
I believe by them now being in the public domain they can't be repatented(?) unless the law on patents are changed like they did with copyrights a few years ago.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
AFAIK
Patents cannot be reinstated once they expire (it use to be 17 years).

Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt

I believe by them now being in the public domain they can't be repatented(?) unless the law on patents are changed like they did with copyrights a few years ago.
That's almost a good thing then. I'd hate for some one to actually plan to and make money off someone else's idea(s).

Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
That's almost a good thing then. I'd hate for some one to actually plan to and make money off someone else's idea(s).
Develop a "better" AR... "build a better mouse trap" and you can patten that.

A few years ago on "I think" Future Weapons... They showcased a new M4. It was select fire but what made it unique was that when flipped to "auto" the bolt stayed to the rear between trigger pulls keeping the chamber open and facilitating quicker cooling of the barrel. Flipping the selector back to semi disengaged this feature for "closed bolt" accuracy.

Pretty sure that guy has a patten.

Tack
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

the purpose of a patent isnt to give a person or family or heirs rights to an invention in perpituity, its to give the inventor a period of time in which to profit from their hardwork. once its expired its free game from then on out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...