Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/who-owns-patents-m16-m4-ar15-platform-85529/)

DFlynt 03-01-2013 06:56 PM

Who owns the Patents for the M16/M4/AR15 platform?

Like the title says who owns those patents?

JonM 03-01-2013 07:04 PM

no one anymore. what is owned are the copyrights to various names like m16 ar15 m4 etc.

DFlynt 03-01-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1159306)
no one anymore. what is owned are the copyrights to various names like m16 ar15 m4 etc.

Thank you Jon for your answer.

Sniper03 03-01-2013 07:15 PM

And of the older copyrights. Many have been allowed to expire or challenged in the courts. I know a few years ago Bushmaster was challenged in the court by Colt for using the (M-4) designation. It cost Bushmaster a ton of money in courts but they won and freed the M-4 Designation for others to use if they choose. Colt also tried other companies for using terms like the words Government, Elite, Commando and others! Which they also have lost on many of those issues as well.
And JonM is on the money! The patents on the AR-15 and other weapons has long expired!

kaido 03-01-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03
And of the older copyrights. Many have been allowed to expire or challenged in the courts. I know a few years ago Bushmaster was challenged in the court by Colt for using the (M-4) designation. It cost Bushmaster a ton of money in courts but they won and freed the M-4 Designation for others to use if they choose. Colt also tried other companies for using terms like the words Government, Elite, Commando and others! Which they also have lost on many of those issues as well.
And JonM is on the money! The patents on the AR-15 and other weapons has long expired!

Soooo......you saying I could make me some money by reinstating that patent under my name since its technically nameless?

DFlynt 03-01-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1159315)
Soooo......you saying I could make me some money by reinstating that patent under my name since its technically nameless?

I believe by them now being in the public domain they can't be repatented(?) unless the law on patents are changed like they did with copyrights a few years ago.

redscho 03-01-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1159315)

AFAIK
Patents cannot be reinstated once they expire (it use to be 17 years).

kaido 03-01-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt

I believe by them now being in the public domain they can't be repatented(?) unless the law on patents are changed like they did with copyrights a few years ago.

That's almost a good thing then. I'd hate for some one to actually plan to and make money off someone else's idea(s).

Tackleberry1 03-01-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1159328)
That's almost a good thing then. I'd hate for some one to actually plan to and make money off someone else's idea(s).

Develop a "better" AR... "build a better mouse trap" and you can patten that.

A few years ago on "I think" Future Weapons... They showcased a new M4. It was select fire but what made it unique was that when flipped to "auto" the bolt stayed to the rear between trigger pulls keeping the chamber open and facilitating quicker cooling of the barrel. Flipping the selector back to semi disengaged this feature for "closed bolt" accuracy.

Pretty sure that guy has a patten. ;)

Tack

JonM 03-02-2013 09:13 PM

the purpose of a patent isnt to give a person or family or heirs rights to an invention in perpituity, its to give the inventor a period of time in which to profit from their hardwork. once its expired its free game from then on out.