who can find a cheaper "complete" upper - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > who can find a cheaper "complete" upper

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

if i was to use standard hand guards, gas tube, but stock assembly it would have only been

$534.31 assembled after all shipping cost.

but its worth the lil extra at only $641.75

__________________

Last edited by Nathantc; 09-26-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

you can get one of the best BCGs for $4 more.

I may come off as not very nice but from the looks of your list I think you could have done more research and ended up w/ better parts for around the same $. I did no research and came up w/ a much, much better BCG for $4 more.

__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
you can get one of the best BCGs for $4 more.

I may come off as not very nice but from the looks of your list I think you could have done more research and ended up w/ better parts for around the same $. I did no research and came up w/ a much, much better BCG for $4 more.
cool, post a link, thats what im looking for is help. also think about shipping too

also was it an M16 BCG(full auto) like i want for the extra weight, or a semi auto lighten BCG

keeping every thing or most of every thing on the same website cuts way down on shipping cost
__________________

Last edited by Nathantc; 09-26-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sun, Sand, and Palm Trees,Fla.
Posts: 2,114
Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

DPMS Sportical upper $359

DPMS AR-15 Sportical Flat-Top Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Light Contour Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Handguard, Single Rail Gas Block, Flash Hider Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

__________________

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich


The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Car54 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Well, after spending a few days browsing on here, I think I'm going to build my own as well, but I'm looking at the 6.8 AR.
Want something accurate within 200 yards, which is well beyond what I'll potentially be shooting, with plenty of stopping power for Georgia white tail and boars.
Ordering the lower from bigcat, and that is because I think it looks like quality and I simply like the 'zombie' stuff.
Other than that, I am going to start ordering all my parts over the next two or three weeks, once I find all the parts and equipment.
And I have no fear of putting together both the upper and lower if it will save me more money in the long run.
I can always order the cute additions later. Right now, I'm ordering the parts to build a field useful model. (Scope is a NcStar, which I am buying in about a week.) Buttstock will probably be a RRA six position collapsible. The rest? I am still looking.
Any advice I am more than happy to receive.

__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

I bet MJKEAT was referring to the LMT M16 BCG. It's just $4 more than yours.

It comes in SA or FA so use this link:
LMT Bolt Carrier Auto M16


ETA:
Amazingly it's in stock!

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 09-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wichita
Posts: 131
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Yeah, if you can get that kind of quality for that money that's the way to go. I'm kind of a stickler for matched sets of stuff so I'm gonna end up(assuming I can afford it sometime soon) using a Spike's complete Upper, this one actually.

Spike's Tactical 16 M4 LE Upper w/9 BAR Rail (5.56) [STU5025-R9S] - $675.00 : Spikes Tactical

If I was doing a build from the ground up and actually wanted to pick out a barrel and all that(which I don't this time around) I would put one of the LMTs in a billet upper, probably not a spike's because they have a funny shaped billet upper that has a kind of shroud over the bolt catch release. I'd like to find out who makes the receiver portions for the christensen arms rifle, it looks very well made and I would spend a bit extra to get some of the parts of that quality.

-Edited Note - The Spike's website changes weekly, sometimes daily and they take down and add items as they have extras, so if you go to the BCG page and look their standard M16 BCG is not listed because they are backordered on needing them. This applies to any and all parts on their website so you could have issues and be unable to locate items that are appear to be missing for this reason. I called and talked to them to find this out.

__________________

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 09-26-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: note about spike's website
TacticalPrecision is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Yeah, if you can get that kind of quality for that money that's the way to go. I'm kind of a stickler for matched sets of stuff so I'm gonna end up(assuming I can afford it sometime soon) using a Spike's complete Upper, this one actually.

Spike's Tactical 16 M4 LE Upper w/9 BAR Rail (5.56) [STU5025-R9S] - $675.00 : Spikes Tactical

If I was doing a build from the ground up and actually wanted to pick out a barrel and all that(which I don't this time around) I would put one of the LMTs in a billet upper, probably not a spike's because they have a funny shaped billet upper that has a kind of shroud over the bolt catch release. I'd like to find out who makes the receiver portions for the christensen arms rifle, it looks very well made and I would spend a bit extra to get some of the parts of that quality.

-Edited Note - The Spike's website changes weekly, sometimes daily and they take down and add items as they have extras, so if you go to the BCG page and look their standard M16 BCG is not listed because they are backordered on needing them. This applies to any and all parts on their website so you could have issues and be unable to locate items that are appear to be missing for this reason. I called and talked to them to find this out.
to bad your not local.

Lone Star Gun Range here in Lumbertont Tx has that same upper in stock for less than that price. its just sitting there on the shelf.

if it was me and i wanted quad rails, i wouldnt get the upper with that rail, i would get the one with out it and get the LWRC rail. i had one on my 5.45x39 build and its the best money can buy. i really love how the upper rail can be removed to service the gas system with out removing the whole thing,
here is a pic of the 5.45x39 AR that i had

S&W M&P15R upper
Plum Crazy lower
LWRC mid lenght rail
__________________

Last edited by Nathantc; 09-26-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

The LMT is awesome and so is the DD Aimsurplus has for sale.

Daniel Defense MPI Tested Bolt Carrier Group

Here's one from PSA for $109
Palmetto State Armory Premium Complete Full Auto 5.56 BCG

Do some research, find a couple well respected parts suppliers and go from there. It's really quite simple. Once you have a good feel for who's making quality parts you can simply do a google search or check w/ your narrowed down list of suppliers for these parts.

If you don't you'll end up w/ over priced sub par parts. And anyway the research is one of the fun steps of assembling an AR.

__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The LMT is awesome and so is the DD Aimsurplus has for sale.

Daniel Defense MPI Tested Bolt Carrier Group

Here's one from PSA for $109
Palmetto State Armory Premium Complete Full Auto 5.56 BCG

Do some research, find a couple well respected parts suppliers and go from there. It's really quite simple. Once you have a good feel for who's making quality parts you can simply do a google search or check w/ your narrowed down list of suppliers for these parts.

If you don't you'll end up w/ over priced sub par parts. And anyway the research is one of the fun steps of assembling an AR.
true, but i was in the mind set of saving $$, and if i can get every thing from one place i was going to do that.

the BCG from PSA ends up about the same when u see the extra shipping charge i would have to pay
__________________
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
"Do "Gun-Free" Zones Encourage School Shootings?" cnorman18 The Club House 26 04-17-2012 09:57 PM
I tried to find the "TSA busted again" thread orangello Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 02-26-2011 12:02 AM
WTS: Armalite Complete Upper M4 A3 223 16" $469.99 Cope's Distributing Sponsor Display 0 09-11-2009 05:00 PM
Witloe Remington 1858 New Model Army "Lee" & "Grant" bprevolver Blackpowder & Musket 0 09-25-2008 11:11 PM