Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > who can find a cheaper "complete" upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

stick??????

Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #12

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
stick??????
Nothing derogatory, N, it was a complement. It just means rifle, in an approving way.

And BTW, this sounds like a nice project now. I winced when I first saw your thread because we see new guys coming in saying they want the "cheapest" then they spend a fortune upgrading a turd as TacticalPrecision was saying more tactfully.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
stick??????
dude.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #14

LOL yeah, I got my expensive rifle, and I baby the hell out of it two, its never had more than 5rds thew it in less than a 5min period of time. So I never heat the barrel or any other parts.

Now I want a cheap run and gun irons only bumpfireing toy, kinda like an AK, but I want an AR at an AK price point.

I know it may seem silly but I want an AR that I can put on the handle bar rack of a 4-wheeler and not worry about scratches or hurting the sites.

So a simple light weight M4 with A2 sight and the stock and forearm I have in the pic would be great. I like that short light fixed stock better cause it can't rattle, and its one less moving part to break. I like the hand guards cause of the look, vents, and slim profile.

Every rifle I build has a purpose, this one I am building will be my knock around fun gun. The A2 set up is hard to beat. I could go optics but if I drop it or it gets banged around it my not be on point as where the irons are the best in dependability.

Most guys call a 10-15lbs rifle tactical, not me. If u put a bunch of crap on a good rifle, u now had a gadget toy. It may work for u in "call of duty" but in the real world this set up IM building with trijicon night sights is as tactical as u will ever need, although a tac light could help but is not needed.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #15

you have a expensive AR that you baby?...what do you mean by expensive?
Why not take it out and really use it?
These guns are not made of glass. They are designed for rough use.
If I was building a cheap rifle, I would still spend 800 to 1000 at least.

Dont get bent, I am just asking a question

Maybe what I mean is you can still do all the things you listed with a quality rifle and not spend more money on the cheap setup because you find out your "cheap" gun doesnt perform the way you like

Last edited by TunaFisherman; 09-25-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
you have a expensive AR that you baby?...what do you mean by expensive?
Why not take it out and really use it?
These guns are not made of glass. They are designed for rough use.
If I was building a cheap rifle, I would still spend 800 to 1000 at least.

Dont get bent, I am just asking a question

Maybe what I mean is you can still do all the things you listed with a quality rifle and not spend more money on the cheap setup because you find out your "cheap" gun doesnt perform the way you like
Maybe cause my expensive one weighs in around 18lbs and is set up for accuracy, not rapid fire.

My very first AR was a cmmg upper on a plumcrazy lower and was cheap as hell. Now cmmg thinks there colt or something and has doubled there prices.

It was reliable but I sold it to get an AK74 of my choosing. Now I want another cheap rifle that just goes bang when I pull the trigger and can get atleast 3"or less at 100yards.

When it come to ar's there are far to many gear queers out there who think that the name stamped on it makes a difference, or that $500 of extra crap attached makes it a better rifle.

Mil spec, lower, upper, BCG, and chamber and u don't need much else. Surplus Ammo & Arms sell stripped milspec lowers for $80, there are many other Mil spec lowers out there that are 3 and 4 times that much just due to a name.

IM only stating a fact,,,,, u do not need to spend more than $600 for a dependable AR, if u want pretty or special coatings and finishes, or maybe extra crap then sure spend away.

The AR that I have finished I spent more in just the lower than I will on this whole rifle. This rifle will stay basic and simple and I know it will function as intended.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #17

ok. Good answer.
So I wasted $1100 on my Colt SP6920? Its my truck gun so I dont baby it

You can build a Mil Spec rifle for $600 or less? Please post the info. I plan on building my next AR and have been doing research on prices and reliability. Any help would be appreciated thanks

I like to run my rifles "clean" and with quality gear. I wouldnt call my self a gear queer lol

Last edited by TunaFisherman; 09-25-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
ok. Good answer.
So I wasted $1100 on my Colt SP6920? Its my truck gun so I dont baby it
Not saying its a waste, but what does it do that that a $650 spikes of the same set up wouldn't do.

I was only stating that a lesser priced set up is what IM lookng for and that it will do every bit of what I want it to. Just don't see the point.

I spent what I did on my American Spirit Arms set up due to the out of the box 1/2moa guarantee for the life of the rifle/barrel, not to mention the lifetime warrantee. Basically I got a purpose built rifle and modded to my liking.

Now IM only looking for simple fun, no extra or fancy parts. Just like I stated. Light, dependable, and simple.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If that's the case why build at all? There was a bushmaster brand new at the last gunshow I went to for 700 bucks, could probably find a lower quality for less than that even

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #20

I know they all go bang.
I have looked at some cheaper rifles and it almost seemed they were pressed from pot metal vs. cold hard steel.
Are you seeing a difference on fit and finish using the lower price stuff?

I would like to see your and hear about your finished rifle after the build is done.

I knew that buying the Colt I have a true Mil Spec battle proven rifle. And for $1100 total and 3 30rnd Pmags thrown in it was a great deal

The next one I can experiment with.