White Tail Deer Hunting with AR-15 5.56x45 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > White Tail Deer Hunting with AR-15 5.56x45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh yea, practice and then practice some more!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #12

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You need to check on your State Hunting Laws to see if Caliber is OK(some States specify a minimum caliber) and possible Ammo limit that can be in Weapon. Even if you load only 5 shells in a 30rd Mag, it would still be illegal as it's a 30rd Mag. To make it legal, you have to "block off Magazine" to only hold the specified amount of Ammo, or get correct type Ammo Magazine.
If this is gonna be your only Hunting Rifle, then for a White Tail, I would practice doing a "Double Tap" to help bring down the Deer and not just wound it with such a small caliber. Smaller the Caliber, the smaller the Blood Trail.
Even larger Calibers won't stop some Deer. I shot a big Buck last Year with a 30-06 w/150 CoreLok. Hit him good. Bullet went through both Lungs, severed off the whole top portion of the Heart, broke 3 Ribs exiting, and this Buck still turned around and ran back into the Brush and Trees---for about 10yds.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #13

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

You can kill a deer with a .223 easily with the right bullet. You also need to be a good shot so you can put the bullet where it needs to be since the .223 is less forgiving than other calibers. I have been shooting and reloading the .223 for 25yrs so I have become proficient with the caliber. Accuracy is the key so if you aren't shooting tiny groups consistently at your hunting range then I wouldn't do it. Practice shooting how you will shoot when you are hunting till its second nature then you should be good to go.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My brother and I have been using the 5.56 for a number of years now. For us it has accounted for only about 15 deer. All have needed one and only oneshot. The farthest any have traveled was 50 yards or so which is in the same as with the other calibers we have used. Many were DRT. Both of us have been hunting deer for more than 45 years. As with any deer round, there are two very important issues.

First and most important is that you must place the round where it is supposed to be placed. If that means you need to pass on a shot because of distance, brush or position of the deer, pass on it. The second is closely tied to the first, use a bullet that is designed for deer sized game. In the past number of years, bullet companies have developed and produced bullets with the abillity to expand and give adaquate penetration. Do your research find well made bullet that is accurate in your particular AR. The 5.56 will do its job if you do yours.

As with anything, be sure that you do as much as possible to learn about deer hunting. From identifiying them, to tracking to habits, and evey facet of their life. Get out in the woods with an experienced hunter and learn everything you can. You owe this to the deer and to yourself. Stay proficient with your firearm.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to hunt for over the past 50+ years. During that time, I have taken more deer then I remember and have helped track, find and process many more for the family. The size of the bullet has some consideration but when you have an adequate round, are confident and good enough with your firearm, and have the maturity and knowledge to where to place the bullet and when to shoot, your effort will be rewarded with some of the best food Mother Nature has to offer. It's not the arrow that kills the deer but the Indian. So far in every case where I have had to track a deer for a long distance, it had been shot with a larger caliber rifle. In every case, the shot was poorly placed. Use your 5.56 with confidence.

Last edited by gschnarr; 06-23-2013 at 12:01 PM.