White Tail Deer Hunting with AR-15 5.56x45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > White Tail Deer Hunting with AR-15 5.56x45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default White Tail Deer Hunting with AR-15 5.56x45

I will be hunting for the first time in the fall.

I would like to get opinions from experienced hunters on using an AR-15 for white tail deer hunting. I know that it is legal where I plan to hunt, but is it a good idea?

My thought process on the matter:

I've become a pretty good 100 meter shooter with my AR-15 standing and at rest. I've borrowed a Remington 770 3006 and it shoots OK from the bench, but I really suck with it when standing. I will be hunting from the ground in Appalachian mountain area terrain, other than that, I really don't know what to expect, so I think I should assume that I may have to take a standing shot at range. Again, not an experience hunter here

J

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

The 5.56/.223 isn't a very good hunting round. You're more likely to wound the deer than kill it. I'd recommend a rifle in a hunting caliber .270, 30-30, .308 etc. You have plenty of time over the summer to get better shooting a new rifle or shotgun.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I believe it is more humane to use an AR in .308. You will have a high chance of just injuring the deer, or allowing for a slower death when dropped. That is very cruel. I am a very experienced hunter, and can vouch for the .308 stopping power. You will not damage the meat with a neck (spine) or heart shot. The animal will die very quickly. The 5.56 is designed for two-legged animals. In fact, the 5.56 was created to maim and not kill. This would cause the enemy to retrieve their wounded, and personnel would be occupied with treating their comrades. A logistic nightmare for the enemy.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, we're OK with the 5.56 on a 200lb man, but we're afraid that we will "wound" a deer? I've hunted Mule deer with .223, and if you use the correct bullet...no problem at all. You can also "wound" a deer with a .300 win mag. If you "wound" anything...you can't freakin' shoot.

That being said, I prefer the .308....

Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Not legal here in VA- the round is simply too light to assure a quick, clean kill.

CAN it kill a deer? Oh HELL yeah! Is it also likely to wound more than it should? Yup.

Standing offhand is the least accurate shooting position. Avoid it whenever you can. You may want to look ito some shooting sticks.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #6

Thanks, I've heard that about the round, but I've also heard that it is fine and that "back in the day" it wasn't uncommon for people to hunt deer with a .22LR.

My original plan was to buy a Remington 700 .308. But I've been trying to focus the funds on things that will be illegal or more difficult to obtain in my state after October 1. An M1A is on the list, but I doubt I'd be able to get enough practice in before the season.

The range near me doesn't allow standing with rifles, so I get limited practice. My guess is that the AR-15 is just easier to shoot standing because even on my first try I did pretty well.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I think your going to be just fine. Just be aware that in almost all states there is a magazine restriction for semi auto rifles. In Alabama. you have to use a 5 rounder

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Standing offhand is the least accurate shooting position. Avoid it whenever you can. You may want to look ito some shooting sticks.
Not familiar with shooting sticks, sounds like a good idea. Plan was to try and avoid standing if I could, but want to be prepared.

Hope to live in Va some day or Wv, that'd word for me too, that's where I'll be hunting. WV's rule is any centerfire rifle cartridge.

J

Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

We use shooting sticks in Germany, or shoot supported by a tree. Do not place the barrel on the tree, because it messes with the harmonics. Also, since you are using an AR, be mindful that the casings can be cleared without hitting the tree. You might experience a jam. It is always better to get as much support as possible when hunting. Find a way to steady that rifle!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

In my experience hunting in Colorado, Kansas and Wyoming, there is almost always some kind of natural rest to use. Like Jaeger said a tree works well. I would only take a standing shot as a last resort. Hunting in an area like you will be, if the deer see you first you probably won't get a shot anyway. Hunting from the ground you will need to move slowly and see them first. You should be able to get a solid rest. That's important no matter what rifle you're shooting. Shot placement is most important. That being said I would opt for the '06, better chance of a humane kill if the shot isn't perfect.