Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Where to you put your vertical hand grip? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/where-you-put-your-vertical-hand-grip-98035/)

ccase39 10-02-2013 03:29 AM

Where to you put your vertical hand grip?

I have seen some put them in middle of the hand rail, some at the very front near the barrel. Where do you put yours? I typically put mine in the middle, but I have one of those that pops into a bipod. Do you think it would be more accurate if I put it on the front?

Quentin 10-02-2013 05:46 AM

Those bipods weigh a ton the farther you stick them out on the barrel. I don't use a VFG myself.

SSGN_Doc 10-02-2013 05:59 AM

I tend to get a VFG out pretty far, because I use it more as a hand stop instead of as a grip. Getting the hand further forward helps control the muzzle and help to drive the muzzle from target to target if you are into action shooting sports.

sputnik1988 10-02-2013 08:10 AM

As far forward as I can comfortably, I don't care much for vfgs, but when I did run one I used it as more of a hand stop also.

Dahamp2003 10-02-2013 02:38 PM

I agree with all that ^^^^. The vertical foregrip is dying out. The AFG is a better alternative for CQB and run and gun and a harris bipod better for long range. In the words of james Yeager, "Dont come in my class with a damn .308 and a 9.5" barrel. You all say well the .308 round can reach out for 1000 yards and the SBR is for CQB. If you try to make your gun good at everything, youre just going to end up with a gun and doesnt do anything good."

Tend to agree. I had a Grip Pod, but now just an AFG and lay prone to shoot long distance with a sand bag

Dahamp2003 10-02-2013 02:38 PM

I agree with all that ^^^^. The vertical foregrip is dying out. The AFG is a better alternative for CQB and run and gun and a harris bipod better for long range. In the words of james Yeager, "Dont come in my class with a damn .308 and a 9.5" barrel. You all say well the .308 round can reach out for 1000 yards and the SBR is for CQB. If you try to make your gun good at everything, youre just going to end up with a gun and doesnt do anything good."

Tend to agree. I had a Grip Pod, but now just an AFG and lay prone to shoot long distance with a sand bag

bwraven 10-02-2013 03:06 PM

I put my VFG in the garbage.

I now use AFG's. As far forward as possible to give finer muzzle control.

Gizord1 10-02-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahamp2003

Well james yeager also said he would start shooting people an the 1911 blows.
Not disagreeing, just sayin yeager doesn't know what he's talkin about half the time.

Gizord1 10-02-2013 03:49 PM

I also dislike VFGs.
I see their value, and that some peeps prefer them, but as personal preference, I prefer the standard stock.

AgentTikki 10-02-2013 05:21 PM

I don't use them, but AVG and VFG have their place, they especially are useful when your handguards get hot during long strings of fire. I do try and put my hands as close to the grip as possible but, one drill had us covering elevated positions. A couple people with VFGs really far forward ended moving them back a bit after the drill.