Whats your opinion of DPMS? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Whats your opinion of DPMS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonCrazy View Post
Hi all,
I am new here and I was wondering what your opinion of DPMS is? Particularly the lo-pro classic. Just wondering if they are good to go or are they junk....Thanks for taking the time to answer.
SC,

check out the prices on this site:

R-Guns

Of course you'd have to have it transfered to an FFL

Also...out of curiousity - what was the price on the lo-pro classic you were looking at?

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 12-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the info and experience. I guess I should give you guys a little more info. I actually bought the Lo-Pro in the late spring at the end of the Obama-rama price jumps. I got it for $750. I am not new to shooting but was new the whole ar thing. I had heard of dpms and my local gun dealer (awesome guy) recommended them, but when I went home and started lookin around on one particular sight, some people made it seem like I bought the biggest piece of sh*t out there. I have pushed about 500 rounds through it so far and it has been awesome, but I was considering selling it for a colt. I just figured that it would be good to see what other people thought about dpms from other sites before I did anything. Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Sure there are...but not in that same price range. And better in what way?
Do you REALLY want to learn?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
Do you REALLY want to learn?
Sure...I've been around the AR platform for over 25 years, closer to 30, but I'm always willing and open to learning something new.

So...for $750 I believe the price was, you are going to be able to find something better. I'm sure with diligent shopping, and some luck, you might come up with a few different configurations that one could opine as being 'better'. Better is in the eyes of the beholder, not just because some carbine class instructor, gunnie, wanna-be-spec-ops, mall-ninja, or just someone who knows someone who said so, said so.

Can I build a better package for $750? I'm positive I can. But that isn't what he was asking. DPMS quite often gets the short end of the stick, from all the experts who always know why, but can't always come up with examples. In the past, when they were first starting out, yes, they had teething problems. So did most everyone else. But because they don't rate high on the "M4 Carbine Chart", that makes them an inferior piece? Or is it because they aren't fully mil-spec, or don't MPI or HPT some components? Were they built for that purpose? No. But they do have models available that are. But for the price, they are what they were designed to be. An affordable entry level AR, not a "go-to-war" weapon.

If you don't like them, don't buy one. But to the original poster, I would buy one of their products without hesitation. Now, if he was asking for a better product, maybe with a little more to spend, then there are several choices and brands to go with. But there is nothing wrong with DPMS.

Slo

Old 12-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Sure...I've been around the AR platform for over 25 years, closer to 30, but I'm always willing and open to learning something new.

So...for $750 I believe the price was, you are going to be able to find something better. I'm sure with diligent shopping, and some luck, you might come up with a few different configurations that one could opine as being 'better'. Better is in the eyes of the beholder, not just because some carbine class instructor, gunnie, wanna-be-spec-ops, mall-ninja, or just someone who knows someone who said so, said so.

Can I build a better package for $750? I'm positive I can. But that isn't what he was asking. DPMS quite often gets the short end of the stick, from all the experts who always know why, but can't always come up with examples. In the past, when they were first starting out, yes, they had teething problems. So did most everyone else. But because they don't rate high on the "M4 Carbine Chart", that makes them an inferior piece? Or is it because they aren't fully mil-spec, or don't MPI or HPT some components? Were they built for that purpose? No. But they do have models available that are. But for the price, they are what they were designed to be. An affordable entry level AR, not a "go-to-war" weapon.

If you don't like them, don't buy one. But to the original poster, I would buy one of their products without hesitation. Now, if he was asking for a better product, maybe with a little more to spend, then there are several choices and brands to go with. But there is nothing wrong with DPMS.

Slo
I've been around the platform for 45 years! So what? No matter how long you 'claim' to have experience it appears you haven't learned much from it. Your mind is made-up already. Ignorance is bliss!

P.S. Re-read the original post and you'll see that the OP asked for opinions about DPMS and said NOTHING about price.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:

Slo
By the way, most of those instructors, gunnys and spec-op people know a hell-of-a lot more than you do!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never claimed to be an expert, nor pretend to be one. And that is why I asked the OP about the price, to get a better idea of what range we were in. But since he mentioned the lo-pro, I looked up the best prices on that and had an idea of what range he was in. And in that range, you'd be hard pressed to come up with something "better"

So I guess you told me

Old 12-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It don't matter how much experience you have-it's no reason to get in a pissing contest and attacking another member that (by the way) we know and respect more than you.

Quote:
I've been around the platform for 45 years! So what? No matter how long you 'claim' to have experience it appears you haven't learned much from it. Your mind is made-up already. Ignorance is bliss!

P.S. Re-read the original post and you'll see that the OP asked for opinions about DPMS and said NOTHING about price.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Yeah, you need to cool it with the attitude. This isn't some random internet c*ck measuring contest. It's a community of friends. Please be respectful from this point on.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
There are several better choices.
He wasn't asking about other options. He was asking what this forum thought about the DPMS model.

So far you have been argumentative and condescending without offering anything but a puffed chest and claimed experience.

We have debated this subject until it has been beat to death.

Yes, there are other better brands, but not everyone wants to max their credit cards to be carrying Sabre Defense, D&L Sports or some custom rig hand forged by the mall ninja creator of the moment.

TO THE OP:

DPMS is a fine, better than entry level gun. While it's not ready to come off the shelf and win you a three gun, or take to the sandbox, for what the average person is going to do with it, it's a great choice.

I agree with Bear and Slo, there is nothing wrong with the company other than the fact that a bunch of know it alls on the interwebz have a hard on for them.

JD