Whats your opinion of DPMS?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Whats your opinion of DPMS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats your opinion of DPMS?

Hi all,
I am new here and I was wondering what your opinion of DPMS is? Particularly the lo-pro classic. Just wondering if they are good to go or are they junk....Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I bought a Dpms ap4 (m4clone) back in march. I've got 800 rounds through it so far. Zero malfunctions, have used factory loaded pvri paritzen 55gr ball & remington 55gr SP. Varget reloads using 55gr SP, 60gr BT, 60 gr V-max.
Fairly accurate carbine, scoped from rest around 1.5" @ 100yd. Good fit and finish. Ive shot quite a few carbine drills with it, ran it pretty hard and hot a few times and so far it hasn't given me any problems.
I really like the ap4 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend, sorry no experience with the lo pro classic tho.----Gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

I own a Panther Sportical in 5.56 that I've added a few parts, pieces and accessories to and I've had nothing but great experiences with it! Light, accurate, well-built and very affordable. I've even shot a lot of WOLF through it with no problems whatsoever.

I'd recommend DPMS to anyone after my experiences.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 12-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you listen to a lot of the 'experts' on most of the other forums, they will tell you to run away as fast as you possibly can from anything DPMS. Or...anything that isn't what they supposedly own, for that matter. I've owned several DPMS rifles, and still own 4 of them, ranging from the AP4, the Panther Bull 20, 6.8 SPC, and just recently a LR308B. I have also built at least a dozen AR's for myself and friends, using DPMS lowers and lower parts kits, upper assemblies, etc., and have yet to have any problems or found anything that was out of spec on any of them. But the internet is full of horror stories of them blowing up/breaking/causing abnormal child birth/etc. Find out for yourself.

No, they are not considered to be "top tier/shelf" in the world of AR's. Supposedly that is reserved for Colt/LMT/Noveske/Knight/Sabre Defence/etc. No, they are not designed to be used in combat, or where you might be running a few thousand rounds through them non-stop, or thrashing them in a carbine class. They weren't designed for that kind of abuse. Take care of them, clean them, run good ammo through them, enjoy them. Funny thought, the recent tests for a semi-auto sniper package was ultimately won by Knight Armament with their SR25. With all those top tier AR manufacturers out there, guess who came in second?

You can buy the lo-pro classic, get into the game a whole lot cheaper than if you had to save up the $$$'s for a so-called name-brand AR, and use the money you saved to turn modify your lo-pro to what you want it to look and perform like. There is nothing wrong with the DPMS line, and if by chance you found one that did have an issue, there customer service is excellent. I would buy one with confidence.

Slo

Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshX3Magazine View Post
I own a Panther Sportical in 5.56 that I've added a few parts, pieces and accessories to and I've had nothing but great experiences with it! Light, accurate, well-built and very affordable. I've even shot a lot of WOLF through it with no problems whatsoever.

I'd recommend DPMS to anyone after my experiences.

Josh
Same here...

Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

I have seen tons of stuff about DPMS being junk, but none of it was first hand. They were cases of "I knew someone who had a problem." I HAVE built parts guns with DPMS stuff, and run them through heavy duty Police Carbine courses against Colts and Stags. No problem. Same goes for the Model 1 Sales stuff. Everyone bad mouths it. I built a parts gun w/ model 1 upper and lower parts kit on a Rock River lower. Scored third in time and accuracy out of 25 other guys in the course, 2000 rounds over three days. No issues there either.

Not too long ago Olympic was the junk AR. That has faded away. In fact right now I am at work on my day off waiting for UPS to show up with my DPMS upper.

Buy one and forget the arrogance of some people out there.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have the exact model you're inquiring about (I think), and have had nothing but good luck with it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #8

You will here horror stories about just about every make of gun out there , everybody has a lemon now and then. Fact is DPMS sells alot of guns and parts. If you are looking to build an ar lower dpms trigger groups are probably the most abundent out there. Which means people buy them so they must be of good quality. i'ved used there trigger parts in two of my bulids . Zero problems.. almost forgot Jerry Miculek uses them for three gun...

Last edited by JMB1; 12-04-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #9

There are several better choices.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
There are several better choices.
Sure there are...but not in that same price range. And better in what way?