Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Whats your barrel break in process? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/whats-your-barrel-break-process-93801/)

icallshotgun88 07-12-2013 03:54 PM

Whats your barrel break in process?

What's YOUR barrel break in process?
I have my way of doing it, and I've heard of various methods from others and online.
Or do you believe in breaking in at all?

I'm going to break in my new AR barrel and interested in others' methods.

Overkill0084 07-12-2013 04:34 PM

Probably not the official Ultra fussy old school rifle shooter way:
1. I bought some ammo.
2. Shot said ammo.
3. Took it home and cleaned it.
4. Repeated several times since.

Mine's an off the rack Rock River AR without a mega exclusive custom match barrel. If I spent big dollars on a barrel, I might worry more.

bluez 07-12-2013 04:40 PM

I dont have a break in procedure either :)

usully clean the barrel beofre shooting first.

ZeusEcho 07-12-2013 04:49 PM

Same as overkill stated, I wouldn't worry about break in unless it's a match grade barrel.

On my Remington700 308 I did the following break in although I don't know if it made any diffenrence as it still seems to be a bitch to get it completely clean of copper.

I was sighting it in and getting the feel for shooting it at the same time so for me it wasn't a waste of time/ammo.

1 shot then clean x10
3 shots then clean x5
5 shots then clean x3
Now I shoot 20-60 rounds and bring it home to clean, rinse and repeat :)

ZeusEcho 07-12-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1302462)
I dont have a break in procedure either :)

usully clean the barrel beofre shooting first.

+1 I always clean a new firearm before shooting it the fist time.

KG7IL 07-12-2013 04:51 PM

Nothing special here either. Shoot 'em like you are going to shoot 'em.
Heck I might even clean it every once in a while.

(I shot two rifles yesterday, no cleaning, put 'em up 'till the next time)

NOW.. If I had spent a lot of money for a bench rest or competition barrel, I might be asking the same question.
If you were to ask me how to break in a cast iron frying pan, I would tell you how important it is to follow a break-in (or seasoning) process.

So.. I understand that it could be important, but just not for my shooters.

Jagermeister 07-12-2013 05:00 PM

Clean the factory gook and oil before shooting for the first time. Shoot one round, clean the barrel real good x10. Same with a new bolt action. Then I shoot whatever rounds and perfect the sights/optics. Go home and clean and oil the rifle.

AgentTikki 07-12-2013 05:06 PM

What kind of barrel, what kind of lining (if any), what kind of shooting are you doing?

Sniper03 07-12-2013 05:16 PM

If we are referring to the AR Rifle! If it is a good quality rifle which means it has a high quality barrel. In my opinion from years of experience with the AR Rifles, they need no breakin. I clean them when I get them and are ready to fire them for the first time and clean them when I am done. I base this on the fact that I have also had two Rock River Arms 20" A-4 Varmint rifles over the years and presently still own one. Both were capable of shooting 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards with no breakin periods required when I was having a good day and with good ammunition. Bottom line, no breakin period would have improved that accuracy. Even the 16 in. ARs I have owned reguraly shoot sub MOA groups at 100.

icallshotgun88 07-12-2013 05:54 PM

I do find it somewhat pointless but I do it anyway...

Shoot once...clean
Shoot ten times...clean
Shoot twenty times...clean
Done