Whats the value of my ar15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Whats the value of my ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Shaker, ARs are NOT AKs. AKs have a lot more play in certain places, so they can be used rough, but an AR is a very precise gun. Run it like an AK, and you could cause a lot of unnecessary wear on it. Put a little lube on it, and it will make you proud.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8818 Times on 5101 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Yanno, It occurs to me that the reason I don't like AK's is because I cherish accuracy over everything else. I don't see much use in a close-quarters (meaning 50 yards) rifle if its best feature is that it can be run through the mud and thrown off a cliff and still put a bullet downrange albeit with poor accuracy. Cleaning and lubing a gun is not that big of a deal really. Maybe its just me.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts

Ok ok ok I won't put it to my ak test. I went to the range today. Pretty impressive.

I think I like it.

As someone said its not an ak and they are two different and I mean completely different tools.

I used rem oil to lube the ar15 is that okay?

My ak's are accurate but this thing is hell of accurate. I guess it does live up to the metaphor of a piece of surgical equipment.

So I'm not a ak guy anymore. I'm in the middle of the light side and dark side so that makes me even more powerful. " stupid Star Wars joke"

One thing I don't like is the charging handle.

Any good recommendation on a fatter T handle??
I see they are out there but what's quality and what's junk?

Btw here are my quality ak's
Chinese mak90 and a Hungarian amd 65 s.b.r

image-2502158898.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8818 Times on 5101 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Cool. Glad you liked it and won't be abusing it. I don't have an AK, but would consider one just to have if I got it cheap. I have fired a couple of them (and one AK74) but never was too impressed with how they shoot. Remoil is OK, I use Break Free CLP for mine.

You can get quite a bit more accuracy out of an AR if you handload for it. Not sure if anybody loads for their AK, but it is a rewarding shooting activity if you are so inclined.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #25

I'm still excited I had a blast and went thru 500 rounds of federal. expensive ammo btw.

Anyways is there a reasons I shouldn't shoot fmj?

I can't wait to get this thing to the 300 yard range it's killing me now. My Chinese ak will hit man size targets at 300 yards and I'm sure this ar15 will put it shots wherever I want theme to go on the man size target.

So I cleaned the ar very well and lubed it up and put her away wet. She sits right next to my ak's now in the safe

Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
Ok ok ok I won't put it to my ak test. I went to the range today. Pretty impressive.

I think I like it.

As someone said its not an ak and they are two different and I mean completely different tools.

I used rem oil to lube the ar15 is that okay?

My ak's are accurate but this thing is hell of accurate. I guess it does live up to the metaphor of a piece of surgical equipment.

So I'm not a ak guy anymore. I'm in the middle of the light side and dark side so that makes me even more powerful. " stupid Star Wars joke"

One thing I don't like is the charging handle.

Any good recommendation on a fatter T handle??
I see they are out there but what's quality and what's junk?

Btw here are my quality ak's
Chinese mak90 and a Hungarian amd 65 s.b.r
Try a Bravo Company GUNFIGHTER charging handle. They come in a few sizes. I'm getting the long latch for mine.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Cool. Glad you liked it and won't be abusing it. I don't have an AK, but would consider one just to have if I got it cheap. I have fired a couple of them (and one AK74) but never was too impressed with how they shoot. Remoil is OK, I use Break Free CLP for mine.

You can get quite a bit more accuracy out of an AR if you handload for it. Not sure if anybody loads for their AK, but it is a rewarding shooting activity if you are so inclined.
I reload my shotgun shells, never have I messed with rifle ammo. Seems like a hobby in itself however I'm sure it's cost affective.

I'm glad I have both assault rifle platforms for multiple reasons plus my wife likes the ar better and actually really took to shooting it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Try a Bravo Company GUNFIGHTER charging handle. They come in a few sizes. I'm getting the long latch for mine.
Thanks!!!!! Yes the long latch looks great. I'll be buying one.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
I'm still excited I had a blast and went thru 500 rounds of federal. expensive ammo btw.

Anyways is there a reasons I shouldn't shoot fmj?

I can't wait to get this thing to the 300 yard range it's killing me now. My Chinese ak will hit man size targets at 300 yards and I'm sure this ar15 will put it shots wherever I want theme to go on the man size target.

So I cleaned the ar very well and lubed it up and put her away wet. She sits right next to my ak's now in the safe

The AR should handle FMJ perfectly well. That's basically what it was build to shoot. You may get better accuracy with hollow points (match rounds), but FMJ is great for fun time at the range.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

The AR should handle FMJ perfectly well. That's basically what it was build to shoot. You may get better accuracy with hollow points (match rounds), but FMJ is great for fun time at the range.
Ok cool cause I can get those cheap.