what's the problem? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what's the problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
No worries. Just a mild pissing match between two members who I think respect each other. There is little doubt that 'fsted2a' knows quite a bit more about the AR platform than I do. And I'm probably a little more plugged into what's available in this market at this moment.

The point is, Bushmaster is fine. They're generally good guns. But don't pay a foolish price if you can do a lot better for yourself at equal cost. If anyone doesn't know where to look for certain products at fair prices right now, I'm sure I (or any number of other members) would be happy to point you in the right direction. Honestly, pretty much any higher end piece or part can be in your hands for a fair price in 5-10 days. Except ammo...you're on your own there!

And the "Deals, deals, deals" thread is an excellent source for such information.
No problems; we all have a few issues that we disagree on. Quentin and I didn't always agree on everything, but we acted like gentlemen and found a lot of common grounds. I like Bushmaster parts. Haven't had any problems whatever with them. I actually think I could build a better gun with their parts than they can, but that is just me.(I got my own staking tool, so I don't have to worry about loose gas tubes) The shelves in my neck of the woods however, have been pretty bare regarding AR parts or ammo. Good thing, though, the price of the complete AR's are going down to reasonable levels in the last week or so. The Bushy's are going for about $850, the DD's go for about $1750, which isn't too far from what they were pre-Sandy Hook. FFL holders are getting more nervous about Gunbroker transactions here. Sweeper, I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with us. Being plugged in to the market is a definate advantage, especially given the current politcal climate.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What scares me about Bushmaster right now is the 'name association' inflation. The less informed folks and newbs watch CNN for a few hours, and somehow decide that Bushmaster is the decidedly greatest, deadliest, most evil-awesome rifle on the planet...when it's really just a good, simple, reliable AR that's supposed to come at a near entry-level price.

There's no question that Bushmaster stuff (above all others) was selling for the stupidest of prices in recent months. I watched as time and again $700 'carbon' Bushmasters were auctioned off on Bud's for $2000-2500. That's right, one for the price of three. I saw a basic aluminum 'GI type' mag sell for $115 on EBay. Why? Because the name on the package was Bushmaster.

My basic point is this: Go ahead and buy a Bushmaster. It'll serve you well. My experiences with less expensive ($600-900) ARs have been quite positive. But if you're going to actually pay BCM, DD, or even Noveske money...do yourself a favor and get that level of quality (and resale value) for that level of investment. In other words, do your part to make sure you get what you pay for.

A basic Bushmaster for $800 or so is a fine and reasonable purchase. But if you're paying $1000-1500, you could have done a lot better for yourself in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #43

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
What scares me about Bushmaster right now is the 'name association' inflation. The less informed folks and newbs watch CNN for a few hours, and somehow decide that Bushmaster is the decidedly greatest, deadliest, most evil-awesome rifle on the planet...when it's really just a good, simple, reliable AR that's supposed to come at a near entry-level price.

There's no question that Bushmaster stuff (above all others) was selling for the stupidest of prices in recent months. I watched as time and again $700 'carbon' Bushmasters were auctioned off on Bud's for $2000-2500. That's right, one for the price of three. I saw a basic aluminum 'GI type' mag sell for $115 on EBay. Why? Because the name on the package was Bushmaster.

My basic point is this: Go ahead and buy a Bushmaster. It'll serve you well. My experiences with less expensive ($600-900) ARs have been quite positive. But if you're going to actually pay BCM, DD, or even Noveske money...do yourself a favor and get that level of quality (and resale value) for that level of investment. In other words, do your part to make sure you get what you pay for.

A basic Bushmaster for $800 or so is a fine and reasonable purchase. But if you're paying $1000-1500, you could have done a lot better for yourself in my opinion.
Agreed. Some folks after Sandy Hook were buying them expecting a total ban on Semi's, and to be sure, I kinda thought it might go that way for a bit. Thankfully good sense prevailed. There is still a 1 year backlog if you want a stripped lower. Most of the MFR's are putting every one they make on whole rifles right now.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My LGS has Cerakoted STS stripped lowers for like $199. That's a little inflated, but not terrible under the circumstances. It's a good product and I'm contemplating buying one myself. But if you want a good solid 'plain Jane' lower, PSA has had them in stock (as often as not the last 3-4 weeks) for $119. After shipping, BGC, transfers fees...you might be into it for $160 or so. And you can add a PSA/Magpul LBK for $200 or so and have the lower half done for well under $400. That's not too bad.

Most of my recent builds are sporting PSA lowers and LBKs. So far every one of them has been a really nice tight fit with their respective uppers (1 PSA, 4 BCM uppers). I paid a bit more to build one on a Noveske lower, and I'll more than recover my money if and when I ever sell it. But realistically, the PSA lowers are every bit as good in my estimation.

Any AR part can be found at a pretty reasonable price right now (even BCGs, mags)...sometimes a little inflated, but only by 10-25%. Not the double or triple prices folks were paying in January. You do have to know where to look, and in some cases you do have to be quick.