what's the problem? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what's the problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I didn't do much research before buying my Bushmaster. Have only run about 150 rds through it and am going to run another 300 tomorrow but I love it so far. As time goes on would it be worth swapping out and upgrading parts from a better manufacturer until I eventually have a complete rebuild or would that be nonsensical? I mean by the time I was done I would have two, one built over a long period of time. Might be interesting to see how the upgrades affect the performance piece by piece.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #32

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Man, no matter what anyone says dont EVER feel bad about your gun, unless you find a reason not to like it. If it works and serves you well it's good, no matter what anybody says.

If you can do what you are talking about in an affordable way it may pay off. However, it may be easier to go in a different rout.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #33

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I didn't do much research before buying my Bushmaster. Have only run about 150 rds through it and am going to run another 300 tomorrow but I love it so far. As time goes on would it be worth swapping out and upgrading parts from a better manufacturer until I eventually have a complete rebuild or would that be nonsensical? I mean by the time I was done I would have two, one built over a long period of time. Might be interesting to see how the upgrades affect the performance piece by piece.
I'd leave the BM alone and start a new build. Nonsensical may be a bit harsh but it makes more sense to start fresh and build it your way.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #34

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
All good points. But that's also sort of my point...if the local market dictates that a Bushmaster is a $1K+ venture, also realize that you can build a PSA for $900-1000 or a BCM for about $1200...and that's with MOE furniture, MBUS, BCM bcg, and BCM/GF ch.

Lower cost ARs can perform like champs. But I like them a lot more when they actually are in fact lower in cost.
Sweeper,
Last year at this time you would have been correct, but,those build prices you are quoting are about 6 months out of date. Double that now, unless you want to wait several months. If you want a new stripped aluminum lower, the wait is about a year. People are selling used aluminum lowers on GB for north of $300. I understand your point, but with conditions as of late, most people are taking what they can get. The only other option is wait about a year and see if this mess clears up.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Sweeper,
Last year at this time you would have been correct, but,those build prices you are quoting are about 6 months out of date. Double that now, unless you want to wait several months. If you want a new stripped aluminum lower, the wait is about a year. People are selling used aluminum lowers on GB for north of $300. I understand your point, but with conditions as of late, most people are taking what they can get. The only other option is wait about a year and see if this mess clears up.
Not true. I built a rifle with all PSA parts for under $1200 and that is with CHF Barrel and SQR free float Quad Rail.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Sweeper,
I'm not trying to be some 'told you so' kinda jerk, but please understand...I built 4 BCMs and two PSAs last month. $1000-1300 each.

The gun I quoted, I literally bought in the last couple days for under $1150. PSA lower, PSA/Magpul CTR LBK, BCM EAG Tactical complete upper with BCM bcg, BCM ch, MOE handguard, MBUS.

The complete upper: $739, delivered
The lower + fees + CTR LBK: $380, delivered

That's $1119, for everything. And I don't have any kind of "inside" connections. This stuff is out there. And it's often posted in the "Deals, deals, deals" thread...as was the very upper I mentioned above.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #37

No one's wrong here... The problem with prices is they're all over the map lately. One person is diligent and/or lucky so gets the deals while someone like me is more casual and misses out. Prices are still elevated but not nearly as bad as a month ago before the Senate killed Obama's latest AWB. Good parts are turning up so keep your eyes open if you're building or buying complete.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
No one's wrong here....
No worries. Just a mild pissing match between two members who I think respect each other. There is little doubt that 'fsted2a' knows quite a bit more about the AR platform than I do. And I'm probably a little more plugged into what's available in this market at this moment.

The point is, Bushmaster is fine. They're generally good guns. But don't pay a foolish price if you can do a lot better for yourself at equal cost. If anyone doesn't know where to look for certain products at fair prices right now, I'm sure I (or any number of other members) would be happy to point you in the right direction. Honestly, pretty much any higher end piece or part can be in your hands for a fair price in 5-10 days. Except ammo...you're on your own there!

And the "Deals, deals, deals" thread is an excellent source for such information.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #39

Yeah, fsted2a and I have argued about piston ARs too! It's fun to disagree when the other guy knows what he's talking about and is a gentleman. Then you both learn something...

______

Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #40

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I have a 308 Bushy AR purchased for 1302 tax and all from Wally World during the panic. It is strictly middle of the road. Trigger sucked, finish is, not great, had commercial parts on the back end. What's left of the original gun are the receivers, barrel and bolt. Since it looks like the antis are beat back for a moment it might be better to wait, I made a decision to take the hit and grab the available, but it was a costly one and not advised for the pennywise.

Now I'll start a fight My buddy donated a Colt receiver extension and reversible safety until I could get my own parts. The Magpul ACS doesn't lock as well as it does on my Vltor on a homemade lower and the off side of the safety has saw marks in it. I also own a 1991A1, Delta Elite, and Dick special, and a real 1911 from 1917 we won't count. I do not see an automatic citation for Colt quality. I'm old enough to remember them having labor problems forever and really don't know where most of their stuff is made now. If I happen on one it gets snapped up even if overpriced cause that's the way I am but there may be better options for someone who just wants to use one hard and depend on it.