What's a good starter barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What's a good starter barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's a good starter barrel?

Greetings forum!

This is my first post of what I believe will be many. I am just getting into the gun field with an AR-15. I pick up my lower this Saturday! For those that are curious, it's a(n) S&W M&P15 stripped lower.

Anyways, I'm unsure of where to find a barrel. There are so many out there! What brands are of decent quality for a starter? I don't want total garbage because I do plan on keeping this barrel for a while before I upgrade it again.

Here's what I know I want so far:

1. 20" Rifle barrel
2. Threaded
3. Front sight doesn't matter as I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket gas block. (I don't have a specific gas block in mind yet, so size [diameter] doesn't have a factor at this point)
4. Looking for a reputable place; preferably a place where you guys/gals have done business with in the past.
5. Obviously I'm looking into a budget barrel, I'm pretty sure I can't afford a match-barrel ;P lol

There's basically what I'm looking for. So if you can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

Thanks in advance!
-PeeceKeeper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/20-hammer-forged-a2-profile-chrome-lined-rifle-kit.html

here ya go 20" hammer forged barrel and you can change the options to a CAR adjustable stock for $0 extra , this has everything you need to build it with a stripped lower

Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Wow, that sounds tempting, but I was looking more for JUST the barrel. I'm trying to stay away from kits and going at this head on. A LPK is probably the only exception. But again, very nice post

Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Why mess around w/ a "starter barrel"? That is often a term given to something of lesser quality. There isn't much of if any real price difference b/w the 2. Check out White Oak Armament, Daniel Defense, PAS's FN barrels, BCM, Ranier Arms.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks MJ, and I agree with you. By saying "starter barrel" I was misleading. What I meant was a decent barrel for a decent price. I will look up those that you mentioned.

If anyone else has some input, feel free to join in =)

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't forget black hole weaponry's lineup...........

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What kind of shooting are you anticipating? Slowfire on a rest? Offhand 400+ yards? Short range mag dumps? What kind of ammo are you thinking about using?
What kind of ranges will you be shooting?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
What kind of shooting are you anticipating? Slowfire on a rest? Offhand 400+ yards? Short range mag dumps? What kind of ammo are you thinking about using?
What kind of ranges will you be shooting?
I'd like to go Mid to Long distance. That's all I know for sure. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking for something with a good price and I'm not jumping for top-notch right-away; I'm not sure exactly what I want just yet. To be honest, I'd prefer something <$250

Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeceKeeper View Post
I'd like to go Mid to Long distance. That's all I know for sure. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking for something with a good price and I'm not jumping for top-notch right-away; I'm not sure exactly what I want just yet. To be honest, I'd prefer something <$250
you talking just barrel for $250 or complete upper ?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
you talking just barrel for $250 or complete upper ?
Just barrel. A full upper for $250? I don't think so lol